IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GFX Quote & Dealer Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 04:43 PM
LexusLifer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GFX Quote & Dealer Install Question

Just spoke with my local Lexus stealership asking for a price quote on front/rear GFX kits and subsequent install for my '08 2IS. Here is what I got as an answer:

Front Lip: $466.72
Rear Lip: $447.00

This definitely means a Sewell order is in line. But I was also told by the service department that they do NOT install body kits as this is usually done by an independent body shop. Figuring that the GFX kits are OEM parts, I thought that a Lexus dealership would surely install them. Am I wrong in this assumption??
Old 03-28-11, 04:57 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you at in WI. I am in Germantown and can point you in the right direction.
Old 03-28-11, 05:02 PM
LexusLifer
Rookie

Originally Posted by DOUGLis350
Where are you at in WI. I am in Germantown and can point you in the right direction.
Nice to see a fellow Wisconsinite on here I'm about 30 minutes SW of you in Waukesha. Gotta admit that I've had a suprisingly difficult time at the local dealership. I would definitely appreciate a recommendation. PM me if necessary.
Old 03-28-11, 05:09 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those quotes are WAYYYY too high for GFX front and rear on tha 08is... i got my rear for 120 and front for 80 from sewells... but i dunno if they still have in stock. install is really easy. For those prices you better off getting the other kits

Originally Posted by LexusLifer
Just spoke with my local Lexus stealership asking for a price quote on front/rear GFX kits and subsequent install for my '08 2IS. Here is what I got as an answer:

Front Lip: $466.72
Rear Lip: $447.00

This definitely means a Sewell order is in line. But I was also told by the service department that they do NOT install body kits as this is usually done by an independent body shop. Figuring that the GFX kits are OEM parts, I thought that a Lexus dealership would surely install them. Am I wrong in this assumption??
Old 03-28-11, 05:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how could the front lip possible cost more than the rear. The front is simple bolt on, while the back requires you to cut...they are pulling your leg for sure
Old 03-28-11, 05:41 PM
LexusLifer
Rookie

The guy in the parts department had me on hold for nearly 5 minutes. My guess is he spent about a minute looking for the parts and spent the next four seeing how much he could markup the price on me. I will attempt to contact Sewell later tonight or tomorrow. Their website says my color is in stock, but there is only one way to find out. Seems like such a dishonest way to run a business. Guess they don't call 'em "stealerships" for nothing.
Old 03-28-11, 05:42 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

PM Sent with additional information.
Old 03-28-11, 06:54 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

The front install is fairly easy, but if you want to install the rear properly with cutting and bolting it to the bumper, it definitely isn't easy, and is time consuming. So expect a large labour charge at any dealership
Old 03-28-11, 07:06 PM
LexusLifer
Rookie

Originally Posted by dubsesd
The front install is fairly easy, but if you want to install the rear properly with cutting and bolting it to the bumper, it definitely isn't easy, and is time consuming. So expect a large labour charge at any dealership
I'm just confused as to why a Lexus dealership would NOT install OEM parts to one of their own. You'd figure they would have the tools and know-how on their own parts...right???

FYI, dubsesed. Your car is the wallpaper on my Mac. SICK *ss ride. Simple, clean and how it SHOULD be done.
Old 03-28-11, 07:36 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

Thank you sir. I think the reason they sell the back lips so cheap on Sewell is because of the labour involved to install them. I had a private shop respray my front bumper and install the front and rear lips for 400 bucks. The front lip was about 600 bucks and the rear was 120 from sewell
Old 03-28-11, 10:01 PM
06tpis350
Driver

Do it your self your self alot money. Front lip is easy. The side are easy too. The rear was the last one I did. I was discourage at first. Cutting and drilling the rear bumper. But they come with direction and we have DIY gfx tread. Well the satisfaction on you doing the work is priceless and safe you money=] good luck bro!! If your local I help you=]
Old 03-29-11, 08:28 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

I disagree. I had mine installed by an outstanding auto body and they had a heck of a time getting the front lip to be 100% flush the whole way around. It needed drilled. I also disagree with some people just taping on the rear spoiler. I may be older than most here, but stuff should be bolted on and installed the right way. I'm not denying the tape is probably just fine, but for me and a car that was almost 50k, an extra $100 to be installed right is a no brainer.

I will note I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I want my stuff to be as close to perfect fit as possible.
Old 03-29-11, 08:34 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DOUGLis350
I disagree. I had mine installed by an outstanding auto body and they had a heck of a time getting the front lip to be 100% flush the whole way around. It needed drilled. I also disagree with some people just taping on the rear spoiler. I may be older than most here, but stuff should be bolted on and installed the right way. I'm not denying the tape is probably just fine, but for me and a car that was almost 50k, an extra $100 to be installed right is a no brainer.

I will note I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I want my stuff to be as close to perfect fit as possible.
the front was a little tricky, originally there was a gap all the way around but it took me 10 mins to figure out you needed to squeeze the corners tightly and the clips will snap in correctly making it flush. I didn't drill just tape.
Old 03-29-11, 09:24 AM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I thought these lips just go right one... drill some screws in and call it a day...
Old 04-12-11, 11:29 AM
khpark928
Driver School Candidate

wow too expensive. just diy

Quick Reply: GFX Quote & Dealer Install Question