Modding too early

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 10:49 AM
felixdang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding too early

Hello fellow club members

I'm curious to know how so many of you mod your cars right after you buy it, and how it affects your bumber to bumber warranty..

I bought my 2011 is350 almost a month now, I'm looking to buy rims, tinit windows, change the interior light to LED and maybe drop.. I know buying rims and tintig windows won't void the warrenty but if I drop it n change the lights, will that void my 4yr 50k warranty??
Old 03-30-11, 11:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been covered to death on here.

Simply modding your car will not void any warranty. You have every right to mod your car under any warranty. The only effect modding your car has on the warranty is:

1) The aftermarket/modded parts will not be covered by your warranty, and
2) Any damage caused by failure of those aftermarket/modded parts will not be covered by your warranty

So as an example, say you take a brand new, fully stock IS350 which is covered by the 4 year/50k warranty and you put a new aftermarket intake on the car. The only thing that's changed warranty-wise is that your entire car is covered by the warranty EXCEPT the intake parts themselves. If the intake parts go bad, the warranty will not cover them and you have to pay to replace them yourself. If the aftermarket intake parts were to fail and that somehow caused some damage to the car, like if it caused some other stock parts to break, then none of that is covered by your warranty, because the damage was caused by the failure of the aftermarket part, which is not covered by warranty.

One way to get around this with Lexus is to buy Lexus parts (like F-Sport) and have them installed by a dealer. Then those parts will be covered just like any others on your car.

Hope this helps. It's a common misconception that if you take a brand new car under warranty and do so much as change a lightbulb that your whole warranty is void. This simply isn't the case.
Old 03-30-11, 11:10 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Mods can't void warranty unless there proof that causes the issues. My dealer doesn't complain on my ride being drop. They like it moded
Old 03-30-11, 11:23 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This has been covered to death on here.

Simply modding your car will not void any warranty. You have every right to mod your car under any warranty. The only effect modding your car has on the warranty is:

1) The aftermarket/modded parts will not be covered by your warranty, and
2) Any damage caused by failure of those aftermarket/modded parts will not be covered by your warranty

So as an example, say you take a brand new, fully stock IS350 which is covered by the 4 year/50k warranty and you put a new aftermarket intake on the car. The only thing that's changed warranty-wise is that your entire car is covered by the warranty EXCEPT the intake parts themselves. If the intake parts go bad, the warranty will not cover them and you have to pay to replace them yourself. If the aftermarket intake parts were to fail and that somehow caused some damage to the car, like if it caused some other stock parts to break, then none of that is covered by your warranty, because the damage was caused by the failure of the aftermarket part, which is not covered by warranty.

One way to get around this with Lexus is to buy Lexus parts (like F-Sport) and have them installed by a dealer. Then those parts will be covered just like any others on your car.

Hope this helps. It's a common misconception that if you take a brand new car under warranty and do so much as change a lightbulb that your whole warranty is void. This simply isn't the case.
in a nutshell, it's the magnuson-moss warranty act calvin2376 is referring to.
Old 03-30-11, 11:28 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

also - if you outfit your leased car with F-Sport products (even if dealer installed), you may be charged and arm and a leg to have those items removed at the end of lease. regardless of mods (Lexus parts or not), you must return the car exactly how you received it. the parts laid out on the window sticker must be 100% identical to how the car is returned - nothing more, nothing less. that said, make sure every option you order on day 1 is spelled out on your window sticker, since returning a car with additional lexus items could warrant a charge.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 03-30-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-30-11, 11:55 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is there to worry about? its a toyota it'll run for a gabajillon miles if you just change the oil regularly... even if you just put on drop springs its not like its gonna fall off the car...
Old 03-30-11, 09:15 PM
son350
Rookie

Originally Posted by laobo979
Mods can't void warranty unless there proof that causes the issues. My dealer doesn't complain on my ride being drop. They like it moded
likewise...my dealer thinks it looks cool
Old 03-30-11, 10:58 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There's only one problem with modding....it never seems to end! But as for it affecting the warranty, the aftermarket parts would not be covered. llamaboiz is right- these cars will probably never fail with the aftermarket parts. "gabajilion".....lol!
Old 03-30-11, 11:03 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

I brought mods to the dealer when I picked mine up! intake and hids went in when I bought it
Old 03-30-11, 11:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Either do it now or never. You wouldn't actually wait the full 4 years, would you?

If you are really worried, talk to your dealer about their position on F-parts. My dealer is very friendly to them and it's actually something that increases the value of the car on their used car lot.
Old 03-31-11, 08:28 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if your very worried and still want a drop buy fsports lowering springs from lexus and have them install them...it will cost you more and its not a drastic shop but it might satisfy your need and give you peace of mind.
Old 03-31-11, 09:07 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's never to early or late to start modding...

I started modding mine around a month after buying my car brand new.
Old 03-31-11, 12:08 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
also - if you outfit your leased car with F-Sport products (even if dealer installed), you may be charged and arm and a leg to have those items removed at the end of lease. regardless of mods (Lexus parts or not), you must return the car exactly how you received it. the parts laid out on the window sticker must be 100% identical to how the car is returned - nothing more, nothing less. that said, make sure every option you order on day 1 is spelled out on your window sticker, since returning a car with additional lexus items could warrant a charge.
This will vary heavily dealer to dealer, etc. It is not set in stone.

Jeff
Old 03-31-11, 12:15 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way you would be modding too early is if you buy parts BEFORE you get the car ... (And I bet a bunch of people here do that )
Old 03-31-11, 08:08 PM
felixdang
Driver

Hahahaha.. U guys are great, I am definitely going to do some minor mods.. They only mod I am effy about is lowering the car, even tho it makes the car like very clean and beautiful.. I live in Michigan and we have really shi**ty winters.. Sometimes 2 or more feet of snow, which makes it really hard to drive