Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slidingIS
...we will all still love it because its an IS
very well said
Old 04-02-11, 02:23 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

just get coils...you can adjust it whenever you want, lower in summer, higher in winter etc...all this age bulls**** is irrelevant.
Old 04-02-11, 06:13 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new wheels means new tires, money.
lowering your car causes more camber wear on tires, money.
no camber kit for the front (even on springs it causes more wear), screwed.
rear camber kit for the rear (on springs not necessary but good to have, on coils you should get it), money.
aftermarket wheels without a drop, almost a waste.
but you gotta pay to play.

i'm not in the same position as you, but i'd just stick with stock for now. at least for a couple years, and then get coils and stuff (it'll be even cheaper by then too). your wife, your baby, and your wallet will all appreciate it. you seem to have a lot going on and worrying about your car should not be on your list of problems.

in summary: life > car.
Old 04-02-11, 06:20 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ smart man.
Old 04-02-11, 09:29 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Thanks IS250Kevin, didn't know about the camber kits. Read up about them and they will def add to the cost.

My reason for getting after market in the first place was to have a summer and winter set. I just put on new rubber on the oem rims this past winter. I just don't want to have to take them off, put on the all seasons and reset the tpms every winter/summer (makes me sound lazy lol). My brother-in-law works at a tire place, but I don't want to impose.
Old 04-02-11, 11:28 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

My suggestion is to either stick to stock wheels OR go aftermarket wheels with a drop. In my opinion, if you're getting wheels you must lower your car. Otherwise it just looks horrible. You will get laughed at, trust me. If you're spending money on wheels, at the very least get lowering springs. Afraid it might be a rough ride? The stock suspension is already stiff, many people don't even notice the difference by going to coilovers/springs.

And this is just me, but I would lower the car as my first mod. I much rather drive with stock wheels lowered, than aftermarket wheels and no drop. This of course is my personal opinion, but rims and no drop looks like crap.
Old 04-02-11, 11:45 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rules are meant to be broken .... My car is at stock height, and I don't think it looks too bad.

I think i'll eventually get the F-Sport spring/shock combo ... but i'm in no rush. Its not as big of a deal as people make it out to be... I mean, most cars on the road aren't lowered anyways...lol.
Old 04-03-11, 11:56 AM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree...... Im not lowered yet and have wheels and get nothing but compliments all the time!!!
Old 04-03-11, 05:15 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Guys, don't forget that AWD sits drastically higher than RWD. So it may look ok on RWD models without a drop, however it will look pretty bad on AWD. Definitely 4x4 status... but as long as you're happy with how it looks, it shouldn't matter.
Old 04-03-11, 06:00 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

if you look in my sig you can get an idea of how 18" wheels will look on an AWD without a drop. Its not that bad being there 18's and similar to the stock 17" wheels. But a little bit of a drop would make it alot better. Putting 19's or 20's without a drop would look absolutely ghetto. You would definitely be getting laughed at
Old 04-03-11, 06:53 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

flektone: anyway we can get a closer shot of your car? I can't really tell with the small photo, unless I'm looking in the wrong spot?
Old 04-03-11, 06:58 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

I have my 2007 for 4 years now going on 5, this is actually my first car that I did not lower, put wheels , tint windows...I too had a kid when i got the car, life took precedence over toys I was just happy to have the vehicle, when i finally got cash to modify, I seemed to want other things like, LED Tv, New Computer, so to each is own but dont think you have to spend money on your vehicle, yes its nice to modify but family first then toys.
Old 04-03-11, 06:59 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the age has something to do with how people tune their cars.

I am 40 and have always lowered/changed wheels of my every previous cars. Trust me, lowered car will wear you down very quickly. You will feel very tired after driving them for a short period. And you will quickly get bored to drive it.

You have to watch out for potholes, speed bump, high ramp and all kind of irregularities on road. You have to remember road condition around you and hesitate to go places you never been before. You will tend to use your other cars alot because you don't want to take risk driving your beloved lowerd car. Their are places your car can't go.

In short, you will not enjoy it as much as you should or would want to. Only time you enjoy it is when you look at it or when you are having meeting with other car enthusiasts (bragging stuffs)

All of these feelings above is getting old for me as I aged. I don't want the headache anymore. I want to enjoy my car the way it should and move on with my life and enjoy some other good things such as good food and travelling.

I have owned my IS for about 10 months now and facing the delima of going back to the usual habit OR just stay stock and enjoy driving the car.

Had it been 5 years ago, this lexus wouldn't stand a chance of staying stock this long.

I am getting old now, i realize. But I still can't just getting over tuning car. It is like having a mid-life crisis.

Last edited by SCWB; 04-03-11 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-04-11, 09:19 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
flektone: anyway we can get a closer shot of your car? I can't really tell with the small photo, unless I'm looking in the wrong spot?
certain angles look better then others. its looks really high here because of the shot i took. and also when you are staring at it head on like this. but your car tends to lower a bit while driving so it probably looks a little better. im starting to wonder if i should even lower it or not. my coils will be here today but im thinking of sending them back....

Old 04-04-11, 10:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
Hello all,

I've read through pretty much the first 30 pages of this forum. (awesome site/info posted). Is there an unwritten rule about having to lower your car if you get wheels?

It seems like the majority of the people here do it and if a pic is posted without a drop, the first suggestion is to do it.

I'm just concerned about going from oem wheels to after market and having the car look worse. I'm going to the enkei ekm3 18x8 +40 and I'm limited to what I can do on my IS250 AWD. #1 wife will kill me if I do anything major to the car. #2 will be sporting a baby on board sign in the back. #3 money restrictions.

If the mod is fairly inexpensive to do, I'll consider it (less than$300).

Thanks in advance guys! I really wish I was able to do some of the things you guys have done.
If you upsize wheels to 19" or 20", the fender gap (versus shorter side wall height) will end up looking larger with stock springs. $300 is not enough budget, you should plan on closer to $500-600 for springs/installation/alignment.

Quick Reply: Unwritten rule to drop car?