IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unwritten rule to drop car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 12:14 AM
MissLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acingteam
In my opinion, if you're getting wheels you must lower your car. Otherwise it just looks horrible. You will get laughed at, trust me.
I for one am also getting aftermarket wheels and not planning to lower my car at all. And I am guessing no one will be "laughing" at me because of the height of my car off the ground. Do stock rims REALLY look better than aftermarket ones? I dont think so...again my reasoning for keeping it stock height is because I live in Minnesota. We get a foot of snow overnight and the plows cant be everywhere at once! I need to be able to drive through deep snow without getting stuck! That and pot holes that will swallow up half your wheel wouldnt be so good if the car was only a few inches from the ground...I agree it seems there is a lot of "peer pressure" on here to lower cars...to each their own :-) I appreciate all the input from everyone though in helping me learn about the whole modding process and what's out there for options! I love looking at everyone's cars!
Old 06-13-11, 04:05 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plus 1000 on this one

Originally Posted by heyarms
rims + stock height. plenty of compliments, no headaches of being too low. Personally, i think people preach the whole lowering a little too much around here. Too much peer pressure haha.
+1 +1... I actually think the "slammed" (I'm assuming that's correct) looks sick...not good sick...but like the car is not healthy. I think it's weird and doesn't look symmetrical etc. when the fenders are sometimes covering part of the tire or the wheels look like they are leaning inward slightly....just looks odd to me. Now if you like that look...then go for it. I'm not gonna hate. I just don't prefer it and am not afraid to say it no matter what anyone else says/thinks. Also I believe it's very immature for people to assume that one way is the only way. Saying every car would look 100% better lowered is like me saying every one should have short hair because it looks better on me.
Old 06-13-11, 05:33 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

when the fenders are sometimes covering part of the tire or the wheels look like they are leaning inward slightly....just looks odd to me.
+1 - I think F-sport springs are just about perfect - any lower just looks goonie

With that said, my car (rims + stock height) looks goonie too... but with our winters, roads, and the awd headaches of lowering, it just isn't worth it to me
Old 06-13-11, 06:08 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MissLexus
I for one am also getting aftermarket wheels and not planning to lower my car at all. And I am guessing no one will be "laughing" at me because of the height of my car off the ground. Do stock rims REALLY look better than aftermarket ones? I dont think so...again my reasoning for keeping it stock height is because I live in Minnesota. We get a foot of snow overnight and the plows cant be everywhere at once! I need to be able to drive through deep snow without getting stuck! That and pot holes that will swallow up half your wheel wouldnt be so good if the car was only a few inches from the ground...I agree it seems there is a lot of "peer pressure" on here to lower cars...to each their own :-) I appreciate all the input from everyone though in helping me learn about the whole modding process and what's out there for options! I love looking at everyone's cars!
I agree...also as a side note... since you brought up the dumb winters in MN...I was super impressed with the AWD on the OEM tires. They had about 50k on them and I didn't miss a beat. Yes there was some slipping and sliding but I never got "stuck" once and there was hella hella hella snow!

Last edited by Pnthrzrule; 06-13-11 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-13-11, 06:39 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

I did a quick search for a thread dedicated to AWD/Aftermarket Wheels/Not Lowered. My initial search found nothing so I started one...hopefully we get some pics so we AWD owners can get a good idea of how the setup will look.
Old 06-13-11, 06:44 AM
MissLexus
Driver

I assume you have the AWD too being a minnesnowtan?! I had a different IS250 that was AWD the last time I lived in MN and it was SO great in the snow compared to my old accord...I left it stock too. I was living in SE Asia this past winter so I missed what I heard was the worst one in a loooooong time....so I don't want to take my chances this coming winter and risk getting stuck in deep snowfall

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
I agree...also as a side note... since you brought up the dumb winters in MN...I was super impressed with the AWD on the OEM tires. They had about 50k on them and I didn't miss a beat. Yes there was some slipping and sliding but I never got "stuck" once and there was hella hella hella snow!
Old 06-13-11, 07:31 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

This is all in the eye of the beholder, obviously. But to me, stock wheels look 1,000x better than aftermarket on stock suspension. Adding wheels to the car requires absolutely no effort. There are always reasons for not lowering your car, always. No matter where you live. There's always a trade off that we all take. But I'm a little biased... I've always lowered my cars. And we get snow here in CT too, and I've been plowing the streets for free. It's all part of the game.

It's obviously up to you how much you want to modify your car, but any serious car enthusiast will still crack a smile when they see a half done car. It's like getting a full sleeve tattoo and not filling it in with anything... it just will never look "complete".

There are mild drops anyone car do with simple lowering springs and will make the car look better. You don't have to slam the car to the ground. You guys can check out a thread on Wrong Fitment Crew called "you know you're low when...". People post the issues they deal daily with because their car is SLAMMED (not lowered, but hammered). People from all over the world too.

http://www.wrongfitmentcrew.com/foru...low-when.-.-.-.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on here, just providing mine that's all. People always come up with reasons not to lower their car, because it's not as easy as just slapping new wheels on. But take my words, you will be more than fine riding on lowered springs just about anywhere.
Old 06-13-11, 07:50 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

It's obviously up to you how much you want to modify your car, but any serious car enthusiast will still crack a smile when they see a half done car. It's like getting a full sleeve tattoo and not filling it in with anything... it just will never look "complete".

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on here, just providing mine that's all. People always come up with reasons not to lower their car, because it's not as easy as just slapping new wheels on. But take my words, you will be more than fine riding on lowered springs just about anywhere.
I'm sorry but your tattoo analogy is weak. You contradict yourself when you say things like "in the eye of the beholder" and "..."not filling it [tattoo] in" in the same posting.

If the tattoo were in the eye of the beholder and they intended for the tattoo to not be filled in...then that's their perrogative. It's their style and who are we to say you need to get that thing filled in because it looks stupid. If they like it...then they like it end of story.

If we want to bring analogies...I think a better one is to say the placement of the tattoo is off...not that it's left undone. Some people say you shouldn't put a tattoo here...or there because it looks silly...well not true. It may look silly to you but it's not your tattoo. Anyone who jokes or cracks a smile is doing so because they are highly opinionated and are probably uncomfortable with it themselves.

The same thing goes for lowering/not lowering etc. To each their own and who really gives a crap how someone else's car looks anyway. Opinions are great and if someone wants the feedback that's great as well...let's just not take it too far.
Old 06-13-11, 07:51 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

I assume you have the AWD too being a minnesnowtan?! I had a different IS250 that was AWD the last time I lived in MN and it was SO great in the snow compared to my old accord...I left it stock too. I was living in SE Asia this past winter so I missed what I heard was the worst one in a loooooong time....so I don't want to take my chances this coming winter and risk getting stuck in deep snowfall
Yes I do have the AWD and I dig it.
Old 06-13-11, 08:00 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

I stated it right away that it was my personal opinion on the subject. The OP had asked for opinions, so I contributed. Maybe you're right, but I would NOT feel comfortable with myself driving a 4x4 looking car with aftermarket wheels. Probably because I regularly go to car meets. Lowering a car is one of the most popular mods people do to cars. Like I said, any real car enthusiast would crack a smile.

No one is making you lower your car bro (and gal). Do whatever you please, I'm just speaking for the majority of car enthusiasts out there.
Old 06-13-11, 09:06 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

I stated it right away that it was my personal opinion on the subject. The OP had asked for opinions, so I contributed. Maybe you're right, but I would NOT feel comfortable with myself driving a 4x4 looking car with aftermarket wheels. Probably because I regularly go to car meets. Lowering a car is one of the most popular mods people do to cars. Like I said, any real car enthusiast would crack a smile.

No one is making you lower your car bro (and gal). Do whatever you please, I'm just speaking for the majority of car enthusiasts out there.
LOL! I just find it interesting that you can say you speak for anyone else besides yourself "majority of enthusiasts". I don't know anything about your credentials...and maybe all other enthusiasts agree with you...but then again maybe they don't. I don't know what anyone else would think so I refrain from making broad statements such as yours. I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine the same way...I'm just not that big on assumptions.
Old 06-13-11, 10:20 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe we should make a "rolling at stock height on aftermarket wheels" thread?? Lol.

Then we can really see how good/bad it looks with different setups Haha.
Old 06-13-11, 10:58 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
LOL! I just find it interesting that you can say you speak for anyone else besides yourself "majority of enthusiasts". I don't know anything about your credentials...and maybe all other enthusiasts agree with you...but then again maybe they don't. I don't know what anyone else would think so I refrain from making broad statements such as yours. I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine the same way...I'm just not that big on assumptions.
I value your opinion. It's an open forum and we're all here to help each other. With that said, why do you guys care what my or anyone else's opinion is on the subject? It's like you guys are looking for some kind of acceptance.

By all means, rock aftermarket wheels on stock suspension. Personally, I can't stand the look... but if you like it then why not? Who knows, maybe you'll start a new trend lol.
Old 06-13-11, 11:03 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Rollin' at stock height doesn't look anymore goofy than rollin' so low you can't go over a speed bump or get out of your driveway.
Old 06-13-11, 11:22 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Didn't expect to see this thread pop up again. Since the time I've asked about lowering, I've had the car at stock height. It's about a 2.5 inch gap approx. On some days I really notice it, on other days I think it looks okay.

To tell the truth, the past 2 weeks I've been looking into all lowering spring threads/discussions. I decided to lower my AWD. I even got a quote for F-sport springs for $220 at my local dealership (now to figure out who can install for cheaper than dealership). I figure a 1 inch drop will make the car look a tad better without going over the top. Any lower and I'm afraid going through the winter with lots of snow will be a pain.

Quick Reply: Unwritten rule to drop car?