IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unwritten rule to drop car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 11:30 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
Didn't expect to see this thread pop up again. Since the time I've asked about lowering, I've had the car at stock height. It's about a 2.5 inch gap approx. On some days I really notice it, on other days I think it looks okay.

To tell the truth, the past 2 weeks I've been looking into all lowering spring threads/discussions. I decided to lower my AWD. I even got a quote for F-sport springs for $220 at my local dealership (now to figure out who can install for cheaper than dealership). I figure a 1 inch drop will make the car look a tad better without going over the top. Any lower and I'm afraid going through the winter with lots of snow will be a pain.
They are pretty easy to DIY. If you have air tools would only take about 3-4 hours probably. You would need to rent a spring compressor from Autozone but they are actually free with deposit I believe.

There is a good DIY thread on just this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...our-isx50.html

Obviously you would still need an alignment. I'm not sure how much the dealer quoted you but $500 seems to be the going rate around Atlanta at independent shops. That includes an alignment.
Old 06-13-11, 11:59 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Acingteam
I stated it right away that it was my personal opinion on the subject...
Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
LOL! I just find it interesting that you can say you speak for anyone else besides yourself "majority of enthusiasts"...
Acingteam shares the opinions of import enthusiasts where i live~ only people who don't lower their imports here are alitmas/maximas rolling on those chrome flower petal looking dub rims~ but for the honda/toyota/subaru/nissan(with above exceptions)/mitsu/mazda nations its all about some type of drop. It is the norm for us~

I can see someone who lives in an area of excessive snow fall who gets into the import scene would now know/understand the concept of lowering. As i said previously, only 'you' can determine how low you can go based on the conditions you drive in/road conditions/skill at driving a lowered car.
Old 06-13-11, 12:45 PM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think for the average member on Club Lexus a small 1" drop on springs is enough. I agree the wheel gap is pretty big on our cars and it definitely looks better a little lower with stock or aftermarket wheels. I have f sport springs and aftermarket 19 inch wheels and would not go any lower for drivability reasons and rubbing problems. I am 41 years old and this is the first car I have lowered. I have always modified my cars before though even with aftermarket wheels but this is the first one I definitely thought looked better a little lower.
Old 06-13-11, 12:50 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TREE
I think for the average member on Club Lexus a small 1" drop on springs is enough. I agree the wheel gap is pretty big on our cars and it definitely looks better a little lower with stock or aftermarket wheels. I have f sport springs and aftermarket 19 inch wheels and would not go any lower for drivability reasons and rubbing problems. I am 41 years old and this is the first car I have lowered. I have always modified my cars before though even with aftermarket wheels but this is the first one I definitely thought looked better a little lower.
How many inches is the gap after the springs settled? I read f-sports are uneven drops. Is this true in your case? This is the only reason I'm considering a different brand.
Old 06-13-11, 01:00 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

How many inches is the gap after the springs settled? I read f-sports are uneven drops. Is this true in your case? This is the only reason I'm considering a different brand.
Springs don't settle from what I understand. That's your bushings wearing out!

There are tons of pictures of cars dropped on F-Sport springs around the forums. Check out the wheels thread.

I've heard the H&R gives a more "even" drop but it's also a good bit lower and a harsher ride. I think you'll get the Lexus lean no matter what though.
Old 06-13-11, 01:04 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ All springs do settle in a little more after initial installation. I've also heard that f-sport springs might give uneven drops (front to rear). The best way is going with coilovers, that way you will get an exact drop you're looking for, you can make it even, and you can make the ride nice and comfy.
Old 06-13-11, 01:06 PM
MissLexus
Driver

Lol touché....I do like to get everyones input and see what others have done to their cars for ideas etc...It's just not a great feeling to invest ANY amount of money in to aftermarket mods and then have people say say it looks like *****. I guess all I'm saying is...I'm not trying to win any competitions or awards...just trying to customize my car and make it more "me" I guess... But coming from little to no experience workin on cars it's nice to have all you awesome people as a resource for info and to have some fun with it :-)

Originally Posted by dmk08
Rollin' at stock height doesn't look anymore goofy than rollin' so low you can't go over a speed bump or get out of your driveway.
Old 06-13-11, 01:13 PM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure exactly the wheel gap now but for me it is about perfect. The gap seems to be about German car (BMW, Audi height) to me which I was looking for. The drop seems even to me. I measured fender to ground at all 4 corners when I had them installed and it was within 1/4" all around. I think it is just right and am very happy with ride quality, appearance and eveness of the drop.
Old 06-13-11, 05:22 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Maybe we should make a "rolling at stock height on aftermarket wheels" thread?? Lol.

Then we can really see how good/bad it looks with different setups Haha.
It's out there now!
Old 06-13-11, 05:29 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that you have to lower a car when you have rims. The only thing is that it looks a lot better when you do. Its up to you, you have a baby and a wife that will get mad if you do too much to the car.

IMO, I would leave the car alone. Don't buy rims, or suspension. Keep it stock till your baby gets older. Or get a car that you can do a little side word on. (like an older GS or something like that... maybe an SC?)

just my .02
Old 06-13-11, 06:08 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

I think one reason why after market wheels without a drop don't look good is when u add 19s and 20s on a car that was designed to roll on 18s u raise the overall height more than what it was originally giving it the suv look, therefore u have to compensate with some kind of drop...that's my opinion
Old 06-13-11, 06:47 PM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by MashinA
I think one reason why after market wheels without a drop don't look good is when u add 19s and 20s on a car that was designed to roll on 18s u raise the overall height more than what it was originally giving it the suv look, therefore u have to compensate with some kind of drop...that's my opinion
THANK YOU!!! ok now THIS makes sense to me! I'm sure most of you are thinking....DUH haha but I am figuring it all out every day. I wouldnt be opposed to dropping a car down slightly to retain its original height...I just cant do the super low drops like some people have. I think those cars look great and I wish I could do the same but I have to draw the line of practicality somewhere :-)
Old 06-13-11, 08:35 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MissLexus
I'm sure most of you are thinking....DUH
Actually no. You could go up in size, while keeping the car the same overall height from the ground.

Example: I went from stock 17's with 225/45/17 to 19's with 215/35/19 size tires. The rolling diameter on the 17's with stock tires was 24.97" while the rolling diameter on the 19's with new tires is 24.92" (which is actually smaller). So, just because you go up in rim sizes doesn't mean your car will raise. It all depends on what tire size you're going to run. In my case, my car sits .05" lower than stock (basically identical to stock).

Basically, everytime you go up in rim size, your tires will compensate for that. The higher in rim size you go, the smaller the profile on your tires should be. If not, your speedometer will be off.

Last edited by Acingteam; 06-13-11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 03:59 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Default My Apologies

Originally Posted by Acingteam
I stated it right away that it was my personal opinion on the subject. The OP had asked for opinions, so I contributed. Maybe you're right, but I would NOT feel comfortable with myself driving a 4x4 looking car with aftermarket wheels. Probably because I regularly go to car meets. Lowering a car is one of the most popular mods people do to cars. Like I said, any real car enthusiast would crack a smile.

No one is making you lower your car bro (and gal). Do whatever you please, I'm just speaking for the majority of car enthusiasts out there.
Yo Acing...I apologize as I think I was a bit harsh earlier. I have seen a few examples of AWD with aftermarket and not lowered...via the thread I created. Honestly I hadn't had the chance to see many different setups and I have to agree that some AWD setups look just fine without lowering...while others do look a little off so to speak. I will need to investigate a setup that gets me the best look without lowering. I also finally get what everybody was saying about 4X4 status etc. Anyway...I don't like being harsh
Old 06-15-11, 12:52 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

You should lower your car if the gap between your tire and fender is bigger the the sidewall of your tire. That's why you see this cars on the road with aftermarket rims looks like a 4x4.

Quick Reply: Unwritten rule to drop car?