Unwritten rule to drop car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 11:28 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unwritten rule to drop car?

Hello all,

I've read through pretty much the first 30 pages of this forum. (awesome site/info posted). Is there an unwritten rule about having to lower your car if you get wheels?

It seems like the majority of the people here do it and if a pic is posted without a drop, the first suggestion is to do it.

I'm just concerned about going from oem wheels to after market and having the car look worse. I'm going to the enkei ekm3 18x8 +40 and I'm limited to what I can do on my IS250 AWD. #1 wife will kill me if I do anything major to the car. #2 will be sporting a baby on board sign in the back. #3 money restrictions.

If the mod is fairly inexpensive to do, I'll consider it (less than$300).

Thanks in advance guys! I really wish I was able to do some of the things you guys have done.
Old 04-01-11, 11:33 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get F-sport springs which is only about 1 inch drop and there will be no rubbing issues. a car lowered on OEM wheels will always look better then a car with new wheels and no drop. thats just my 2 cents. Also welcome to CL

Last edited by 600rr05; 04-01-11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-01-11, 11:33 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

have you also read the posts about how some ppl regret lowering their cars, the damage it has caused to their fenders, fenderwells etc.

If you live in a place with a real winter and real potholes, I don't suggest you do it. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and all but so do tattoos... on young people.

those of us over 35 should not be dropping our cars, we have enough to worry about paying for besides wheel/body repairs... wives, kids, houses, retirement etc...

just one old guys opinion...
Old 04-01-11, 11:37 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

I'd suggest you not spend money on springs/coils. That will make you car a lot harsher and the baby will not like it one bit.

It's true the car will look a lot nicer dropped. But for the baby's sake, don't do it. If you plan on lowering it and not risk jeopardizing your car's smooth ride, start saving up for an air suspension.
Old 04-01-11, 11:39 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

embolism those people that had damaged had to be on coilovers or ran to big of rims/tire combo... but yea weather and potholes of course always matter.
Old 04-01-11, 11:41 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Springs will not noticeably affect ride comfort. Based on your criteria, FSport (or similar) springs would be a good addition.
Old 04-01-11, 11:42 AM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by embolism
have you also read the posts about how some ppl regret lowering their cars, the damage it has caused to their fenders, fenderwells etc.

If you live in a place with a real winter and real potholes, I don't suggest you do it. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and all but so do tattoos... on young people.

those of us over 35 should not be dropping our cars, we have enough to worry about paying for besides wheel/body repairs... wives, kids, houses, retirement etc...

I agree

Im 26 have 20's and several other mods except lowering done. If u look, a lot of guys who are lowered are from cali or places where they dont get snow. Im in buffalo ny and lowering isnt big here u never see any lowered car because the roads are so bad and its snows like crazy here. Dont get me wrong its looks 100% better but its not for everyone.
Old 04-01-11, 11:43 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...those of us over 35 should not be dropping our cars, we have enough to worry about paying for besides wheel/body repairs... wives, kids, houses, retirement etc...

*cough* im 40plus, have you seen my car?

OP, there is right way and a wrong way to lower a car, there is a right way and a wrong way to choose rims also~ you need to decide how low by conditions of the roads you travel on...
Old 04-01-11, 11:57 AM
chums
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by svntwosix
I'd suggest you not spend money on springs/coils. That will make you car a lot harsher and the baby will not like it one bit.

It's true the car will look a lot nicer dropped. But for the baby's sake, don't do it. If you plan on lowering it and not risk jeopardizing your car's smooth ride, start saving up for an air suspension.
ive actually had no issues with comfortability using f-sport springs or bc racing coilovers. surprisingly, it was comparable to the oem feel, but that's before i adjusted the dampening on the coils.

springs are probably going to run you sub $300 for parts alone. id say the majority of CL prefer to see lowered vehicles for form or function. however, some prefer stock ride height. imo, go with what you think looks and feels best, but get ready for potential criticism if you go outside the box.
Old 04-01-11, 11:59 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, I've driven stock, I've driven with lowering springs, and now I'm driving on coils.

Hands down, save up for coils. Not only can you get it to whatever height you want but you can also adjust the dampening for ultimate comfort, or a sporty ride, or full on race.

Instead of spending 300, save for another month and make it 650...oh and if you wife complains, tell her that the suspension would have to be replaced sometime, why not now?
Old 04-01-11, 12:02 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're too young to be telling kids "get off my lawn!!"

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
*cough* im 40plus, have you seen my car?
*ahem* As official grandma of the 2IS forum, I must say I have a modest "drop" (if that's what you call it).

But in all honestly. What's wrong with keeping it stock?
Old 04-01-11, 12:13 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

haha my brother and I got carded at the Leafs/Buffalo game this past Tuesday. I may look young but damn my body feels old...
Old 04-01-11, 12:41 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Absoultely nothin is wrong with keepin it stock IMO. Siu you should go drive Micaiah before the battery dies
Old 04-01-11, 12:48 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies everyone, great insight.

600rr05: thanks, I'll look into those springs.
06isDriver: new suspension = new handbag for wife haha. maybe that's a good trade off.
embolism: I'm 38 this year lol. god, the years are going by too fast now... I think I can start yelling at the kids to stay off the lawn soon.
Old 04-01-11, 01:01 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI ddhleigh...When I was given the choice, I chose an intake over a Coach handbag for my birthday.

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
Absoultely nothin is wrong with keepin it stock IMO. Siu you should go drive Micaiah before the battery dies
I started him. His battery is just fine. *nods head*

Quick Reply: Unwritten rule to drop car?