IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 07:11 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting note, I finally created my lexus owner account and i pulled up the history of the car.
It seems a month before the car was put on sale as a CPO, there was a service desription called 'Dent Wizard' and a few months back, there was a 'repair rear bumper'
and each time the car was brough in for service, 'scratch and scuffs and other' was noted on the service record prior to the car becoming CPO.

Would the dealer have more details on what the 'dent wizard' repair was and the repair to the rear bumper? i mean was it a shopping car dent where they popped it out or was it a total front end damage from a car backing into the car? these descriptions are quite vague
Old 04-07-11, 07:24 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think Dent Wizard does any major repairs. It's paintless dent removal, where they "work" out a little door ding type of dent.

http://www.dentwizard.com/content/11...umer_home.aspx
Old 04-07-11, 07:32 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is250cpo
Interesting note, I finally created my lexus owner account and i pulled up the history of the car.
It seems a month before the car was put on sale as a CPO, there was a service desription called 'Dent Wizard' and a few months back, there was a 'repair rear bumper'
and each time the car was brough in for service, 'scratch and scuffs and other' was noted on the service record prior to the car becoming CPO.

Would the dealer have more details on what the 'dent wizard' repair was and the repair to the rear bumper? i mean was it a shopping car dent where they popped it out or was it a total front end damage from a car backing into the car? these descriptions are quite vague
This is so odd, my CPO car from Lexus of Rockville also had Dent Wizard on the service history. To the bottom right of that entry, it should list the dollar amount for the work. Mine was $53. So what likely happened with my car is that the owner traded it in and the dealership was getting it ready for sale and there might have been some scratches or a small dent, and so they took it over to Dent Wizard to get those removed before putting it on the lot. For $53, I imagine all that buys is a small dent or scratch repair, so I wasn't too concerned. If I'd seen $3000 at Dent Wizard, I'd have been very concerned.

The dealership should be able to explain what this was for, but maybe you can deduce it from the dollar amount.
Old 04-07-11, 07:48 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

thanks calvin / miciah,

i guess we have different levels of details, none of my service descriptions show a dollar amount and i can't drill down for further details, I will have to ask lexus to look into it. but from what you both indicated, the dent wizard shoudl be for real minor things.
Old 04-07-11, 08:20 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also bought my 400h from rockville and I had this Dent Wizard in the records. I guess it's a standard thing in this dealership.
Old 04-07-11, 09:24 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by myLexRX
I also bought my 400h from rockville and I had this Dent Wizard in the records. I guess it's a standard thing in this dealership.
It's actually a nice thing that they go ahead and get minor scratches and dents removed when they try to sell cars. It's unfortunate they don't exercise the same kind of car where it really matters, in the pre-sale and CPO inspections. I can't help but think that the motive is to just get the car looking nice enough that they can sell it, and not taking the care to make sure the rest of the car is proper as well. Really emphasizes "caveat emptor".
Old 04-07-11, 09:56 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sometimes accident cars are sold CPO, depends on the damage. If you are upset that your CPO car was in an accident before that is another issue. Did you run any Autocheck/Car fax yet to see what the accident was?

If your car is CPO, sold CPO, then it is CPO no matter the damage. That means the dealer you took it too needs to honor the certification. Now a dealer can refuse work but this is why Lexus trusts its dealers do the right thing in regards to CPO. The problem is the new dealer is likely upset at the other dealer for making this car CPO. They now have to use their workers/labor to fix a warranty problem. Some dealers are also asshats when it comes to warrenty work for a car not bought at their dealership.

Lexus corporate has to tell the dealer honor the CPO car. If the CPO car is in that bad shape then the original dealer needs to make that right. However that is another can of worms.

Its upsetting sometimes to know your CPO car was in an accident but for now lets see how they resolve the fluid nozzle issue.
Right, a CPO is a CPO is a CPO.

The burden of cost doesn't lie on the dealer who performs warrantied work on the car, but with Lexus corporate (who they will invoice).

The dealer might be hesitant to work on the car in the event that the work they perform is deemed to not be valid for reimbursement, and then they would be stuck with the cost.

Lexus corporate should work this out for you.
Old 04-08-11, 01:50 PM
is250cpo
Rookie

so corp called me back.
said they spoke with the person in charge of car buybacks at rockville and they claim all cars go through a vigorous check and something like would never have been a CPO. The the carfax is clean and is still clean so whoever did the repairs.. if there were any.. was not them and did it off the books.
Corporate will now now open a lemonlaw case or something of that sort and it takes 4-6 weeks. This is the process if the buyer wants a buyback of the car or an exchange for another car.

they also recommended me to open up a case with the national dispute settlement center as a concurrent process because whatever the national dispute settlement center decides, lexus/toyota will have to follow their ruling.

have anyone opened up a case through the dispute settlement center? any success with them?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-11, 01:59 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is it a lemon? Wtf. And now you are expected to open up a case? that's bs.

I would give this car back to the dealer and never deal with them again.
Old 04-08-11, 02:43 PM
is250cpo
Rookie

they explained that this was the procedure they have to follow if the customer wants to return the car or exchange it.

does anyone know if that's true?
Old 04-08-11, 06:32 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You posted "lexus/toyota will have to follow their ruling"

I just Googled National Dispute Center. "NCDS has administered automobile manufacturers' warranty arbitration programs since 1995. The disputes are those arising between a manufacturer and an individual customer regarding an alleged defect(s) in the material or workmanship of the customer's vehicle. Typically these disputes are those which occur within the duration of the manufacturers' warranty period, unless another time period is set by a particular manufacturer. The methods of resolution are mediation, arbitration, and mediation/voluntary agreement."

On the Lexus form it asks if the car has ever been in an accident? That is your issue because the accident has prevented you from getting a warranty.

It sounds like NDC makes the decision not Lexus. I didn't read everything on the website but you should. I would not submit the form without consulting an attorney. Having a third party involved in a situation like this sounds counter productive at this point.

The big point is your issue is with a Lexus dealer which has forced you to get Lexus HQ involved. For now I would just stay the course.

Did you tell them you want to park the car and have a loaner while they do their dance? 4-6 weeks is a long time. If you get Lexus to give you a loaner they will expedite the 4-6weeks.
Old 04-08-11, 06:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Especially if you tell em you want a loaner for 4-6 weeks and you do a lot of mileage
Old 04-08-11, 06:59 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by is250cpo
so corp called me back.
said they spoke with the person in charge of car buybacks at rockville and they claim all cars go through a vigorous check and something like would never have been a CPO. The the carfax is clean and is still clean so whoever did the repairs.. if there were any.. was not them and did it off the books.
Corporate will now now open a lemonlaw case or something of that sort and it takes 4-6 weeks. This is the process if the buyer wants a buyback of the car or an exchange for another car.

they also recommended me to open up a case with the national dispute settlement center as a concurrent process because whatever the national dispute settlement center decides, lexus/toyota will have to follow their ruling.

have anyone opened up a case through the dispute settlement center? any success with them?

Thanks!
I think you're doing all the right things, I'm just sorry you have to put up with this kind of treatment from Lexus.

Seems like Lexus is just spinning its wheels, maybe delaying things so that you and your issue will just go away. Whatever the case is, this should be an open and shut thing. You take the car to Rockville, they buy it back, you get a new car. Done. If I were you, I'd be irate if they wanted me to do anything else.

Do you know any lawyers? I wouldn't want you to go to any expense so I wouldn't recommend going and hiring one, but if you know one then you might enlist their services and ask their opinion. I do think this meets most if not all the criteria for fraud. I would say talk to a lawyer, get his thoughts, then call Rockville back and say I talked to Lexus corporate and they told me I had to do yada yada yada and it'll take X weeks (in all reality, more like months), and that's simply not acceptable, so I've hired a lawyer (be ready to provide details, like name and firm, so they know you're not bluffing) and we'll be filing suit shortly unless you take care of this.

I just hate to see Lexus corporate screw you around like this. In all likelihood it'll still get taken care of, but in months instead of days.

Overall I'd say push harder, don't just blindly agree to what Lexus corporate is saying/offering, because they're in the wrong and need to be making this right, so you should be telling them how it's going to go, not the other way around.
Old 04-09-11, 08:50 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

i finally talked to the head mgr who spoke with the lexus corporate regarding my case personally today.
i told him that they are going ahead with the lemonlaw case or whatever that's called and i rather not escalate to that point and would see if he can just resolve the issue.

i told him i wanted to trade back the car and he said he was willing to. He will take a look at what i purchased and will call me back with what cars they have or may be getting in next week. if they do not have anything close there can try to do a dealer swap with a sister dealer.

@keppie and killa, i did mention leaving the car at the dealer but lexus corp said that i would have to negotiate with the whichever dealer myself, they cant for them to take the car.
once the dealer calls me back on monday i will bring that up.

if it looks like the dealer will follow through with his promise, i'll have lexus corp put a hold on that case

Thanks again, i will keep you all posted
Old 04-13-11, 10:28 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Update:
Dealer says they have a comparable replacement that is about 3k miles more than what I have currently have on my car.
I’m not going to argue about that too much since it is hard to find the same exact color /options combo.

However, he says I will have to pay a difference to ‘trade up’ to this new car. Trade up? What am I trading up for? A car with more mileage and I will have to lose my 0.9 financing?
I am assuming that I am not wrong in asking that:
1. I pay NOTHING for the exchange
2. The car should be delivered to a lexus dealer in my city they pick up my car from the same dealer

In fact if an actual price difference needs to be paid, shouldn’t he be paying for the price difference since my car has lower miles?

He will call back once he ‘runs’ his numbers, im done being patient and nice about this process.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Quick Reply: i250 Lexus CPO Fraud