i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 10:09 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Not so fast.

It would be 50/50 if it was non-CPO vehicle.
The fact that the vehicle was sold as CPO which requires due diligence and not mere reliance on a carfax, and now they themselves are refusing to work on it because it was in an accident says something. This is more like 75/25, not 50/50.

This is true as long as they do not end up proving that the car was in an accident after the Sale. So watch out what you speak.
I hope that part of the CPO is true because that was what i tried to convey to the GM of rockville. I paid a few thousand bucks premium for a CPO where as i could have gotten the same car, with no CPO with about the same miles for $5-6 k less from their own lot. With the CPO premium I’m expecting that a clean carfax to the minimum requirement, but also relying on their inspection and due diligence to prove that the car truly accident free. His response? Well, you need to buy a new car then if you want a guarantee like that. I then pointed out, well even your own salesmen and two other dealers said that CPO should be accident free, and the lexus service guy said this was very obvious the moment you take off the engine covers so it's not like this was something that was well hidden. He then said, again, if you want an accident free car, buy a new one we are not mandated to tell you that your car was in an accident for cpo cars.

I’m really hoping that can make it to Tuesday without anything happening to the car. I know for a fact that this car has not been in an accident since i purchased it. Hopefully when the technician looks at the car he can tell that whatever work was done was more than 6 months ago.
Old 04-21-11, 10:14 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This is false. You're correct that CPO'ing a car requires due diligence. In fact, the exact due diligence it requires is found here: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/pdf/CPO_161_Checklist.pdf

You'll see right at the top a check box for "Complete CARFAX history report", then next to that you'll see "Meets standards" and "Does not meet standards". This is the only reference in the whole inspection to anything regarding car or accident history.

That's because a Lexus that has been in an accident can still be CPO. The only restrictions are that 1) if the car is a salvage title car, it cannot be CPO and 2) if during the inspection they uncover evidence of flooding or frame damage, it cannot be CPO. Otherwise, any Lexus that meets the CPO requirements (last 6 model years, under 70k miles) can be CPO'd, even if it's been in an accident.

The dealership performing the inspection in this case provided a CARFAX history report, which was clean. Therefore the dealership can legitimately check "Meets standards", because 1) there is no salvage title and 2) there is no evidence of flooding or frame damage.

Even if the original dealership that inspected the car had discovered evidence of an accident, as long as there was no existing or frame damage and everything was repaired and replaced to Lexus spec, the car can still be CPO. The only issue would have arisen if the dealership found out about this accident but did not disclose it to the buyer.

Therefore, the mere fact that it was CPO has no bearing on this, no matter how much anyone would like it to.
i guess thats where the 50/50 part comes in.
On one hand, this does not say the car needs to be accident free, but thats not how they market it and sell it as.. "not new, not used, blah blah blah.. " and the salemen all imply that it has to be accident free inorder to be a CPO
Old 04-21-11, 10:24 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you got the car inspected by a body shop or someone for frame damage? I mean it wouldn't bug me too much if it wasn't a major accident and the parts replaced where Lexus OEM by a legit bodyshop, but i'd at least expect the price of the car to reflect its been in an accident still. I've seen a lot of CPO cars with mismatched bumpers (not just Lexus), so i assume the argument that they don't have to be "100% accident free" to be CPO is true.
Old 04-21-11, 10:26 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by is250cpo
i guess thats where the 50/50 part comes in.
On one hand, this does not say the car needs to be accident free, but thats not how they market it and sell it as.. "not new, not used, blah blah blah.. " and the salemen all imply that it has to be accident free inorder to be a CPO
Absolutely, I totally agree with you. I still believe that Rockville should make this right, at the very least just to maintain the dealership and Lexus brand reputations. My comments above were just to make clear to everyone that the fact that the car was CPO has no bearing on this whatsoever. Everything Rockville did to CPO and sell this car was completely legitimate (according to law and Lexus policy, perhaps not according to what we'd hope to be common courtesy and customer service). However, if during the CPO inspection they found evidence of an accident but then covered it up and didn't disclose it, then there'd be a problem, but we don't know and can't hope to prove that happened.

Therefore I don't think you have a bulletproof legal case, however you have a very strong case for a general customer service appeal to Lexus to make this right, which it sounds like is currently in process.
Old 04-21-11, 10:49 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Have you got the car inspected by a body shop or someone for frame damage? I mean it wouldn't bug me too much if it wasn't a major accident and the parts replaced where Lexus OEM by a legit bodyshop, but i'd at least expect the price of the car to reflect its been in an accident still. I've seen a lot of CPO cars with mismatched bumpers (not just Lexus), so i assume the argument that they don't have to be "100% accident free" to be CPO is true.
I'll probably take the car to my mechanic depending on what the technician's findings are on next tuesday. I asked on another thread in the forum where the poor guy had to replace his fender/hood bumper in the "the accident" thread about how large the impact of his accident was. Based on the responses, backing into the car will cause that much of a damage, then just replacing the headlights and bumper may be a minor accident, but i wont know for sure until they take off the covers and see what was really replaced.
Old 04-21-11, 11:15 AM
EdwardK
Rookie

Unfortunately - the only wrong being done by Lexus is by dealer B refusing to honor your warranty.

A CPO Vehicle is a CPO vehicle and they will have to stand by their warranty. If they are dumb enough to CPO it...well then they are going to have to honor their mistake...Lexus corporate will make sure of that.

As far as dealer A?

Sorry to say but when you purchase a car, it is your duty to inspect it. Caveat emptor and buyer beware. You failed to carry out your due dilligence and it is not the dealer's fault that you purchased a wrecked car from them.

I will say that you have handled this very well thus far and am sorry you bought a wrecked vehicle.

However - We all learn this lesson sooner or later and luckily for you, you purchased a wrecked car with a CPO warranty.

Most others aren't as fortunate.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-11, 12:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'll probably take the car to my mechanic depending on what the technician's findings are on next tuesday. I asked on another thread in the forum where the poor guy had to replace his fender/hood bumper in the "the accident" thread about how large the impact of his accident was. Based on the responses, backing into the car will cause that much of a damage, then just replacing the headlights and bumper may be a minor accident, but i wont know for sure until they take off the covers and see what was really replaced.
Yeah it's somewhat better though, you want the car to take the damage, not you

Also, i would say take it to a straight out body shop, not a mechanic. Not to say your mechanic doesn't know what repaired parts are gonna look like, but if you find it is damaged underneath or if there is frame damage, a body shop inspection is what you will need as proof.
Old 04-21-11, 05:44 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be there when Lexus HQ inspects the car.
Old 04-25-11, 05:47 PM
birador
Lead Lap

go ask your local consumer protection agency and ask for help about your issue.they will contact both dealers and might have an internal arrangements about fixing the problem. lexus will not sacrifice their name/reputation on this isolated problem its just a matter who are they going to deal to specially if involves the public interest.
Old 04-25-11, 05:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happened last week?
Old 04-25-11, 10:14 PM
knownastro
Driver School Candidate

The drama here is better than any Law shows I've watched! Keep it coming and good luck!
Old 04-26-11, 07:53 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by knownastro
The drama here is better than any Law shows I've watched! Keep it coming and good luck!
lol dropped off the car today so i'll post with updates when i get them.

@ keppie - i would have preferred to be there as well, but unfortunately i couldnt take a day off.

@birador - ill go through the consumer protection and ncsd if nothing happend through lexus corp

Last edited by is250cpo; 04-26-11 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 06:13 PM
is250cpo
Rookie

picked up the car.

the service adviser told me that the Lexus technician, after inspecting the car, said it should not have been certified.

We'll see what they write up for the lexus corp review and what the outcome is.

They also fixed the gap between the bumper and headlight from the original repair for free too.

Last edited by is250cpo; 04-26-11 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 06:24 PM
viper522
Driver

sucks dude, you're in a tough spot right now. at least there's an official word now that YOU aren't at fault here, which leaves the dealership and/or Lexus Corp to make you happy.

or catch a lawsuit.
Old 04-27-11, 05:52 AM
calvin2376
Racer

picked up the car.

the service adviser told me that the Lexus technician, after inspecting the car, said it should not have been certified.

We'll see what they write up for the lexus corp review and what the outcome is.

They also fixed the gap between the bumper and headlight from the original repair for free too.
Actually you're not in a tough spot at all, you're now in the best spot you could be in. You have Lexus corporate on your side against the dealer. The phone calls and paperwork will be a bit of a headache, but you should have no problem now getting this taken care of. I imagine Lexus will contact you with some kind of offer to make it right; hopefully they'll come out of the gate by offering to replace your car. If they offer anything less, don't take it. Now that Lexus has essentially admitted fault on the part of the dealer, you'd have no problem in a lawsuit - a lemon law lawyer would be jumping at the bit for this case. But I don't think it will have to come to that.

Quick Reply: i250 Lexus CPO Fraud