IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i250 Lexus CPO Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 06:55 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Actually you're not in a tough spot at all, you're now in the best spot you could be in. You have Lexus corporate on your side against the dealer. The phone calls and paperwork will be a bit of a headache, but you should have no problem now getting this taken care of. I imagine Lexus will contact you with some kind of offer to make it right; hopefully they'll come out of the gate by offering to replace your car. If they offer anything less, don't take it. Now that Lexus has essentially admitted fault on the part of the dealer, you'd have no problem in a lawsuit - a lemon law lawyer would be jumping at the bit for this case. But I don't think it will have to come to that.
Yeah thanks!! I can handle the phone calls and paperwork if that means this will be settled rather hassle free.

I'm curious what people would do IF:
They have documentation that shows that the accident was indeed ‘Minor’, as in it was really just a replacement of the bumper and headlights, would you:
1. still risk swapping for another CPO
2. ask for a refund and start off with a new car (CT looks interesting)
3. ask for some monetary compensation and/or extended warranty on top of current CPO warranty and keep existing car?
This of course is under the assumption that the car really just had a minor accident with those cosmetic issues.

Last edited by is250cpo; 04-27-11 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 07:56 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is250cpo
Yeah thanks!! I can handle the phone calls and paperwork if that means this will be settled rather hassle free.

They have documentation that shows that the accident was indeed ‘Minor’, as in it was really just a replacement of the bumper and headlights, would you:
3. ask for some monetary compensation and/or extended warranty on top of current CPO warranty and keep existing car?
This of course is under the assumption that the car really just had a minor accident with those cosmetic issues.
If I were in your position, as step 1 I'd get rid of that car. You have no idea what happened to it. You're dealing with a car whose previous owner lied/was duplicitous (didn't report an accident and then downplayed it to the dealer when pressed) and whose dealer who lied/was duplicitous (certified a car that shouldn't have been). Get out of this situation entirely - dump the car.

You have proof that this accident wasn't "minor" - the Lexus tech said the car shouldn't have been certified. A car that has been in a minor, cosmetic accident (cracked bumper, for example) can still be certified. If the Lexus tech said it shouldn't have been certified, that means there were more than just cosmetic issues with it - possibly frame damage. It has to be fairly serious for them to refuse to certify it.

Furthermore, you can't just keep the car and ask for an extended warranty or CPO warranty, because Lexus will likely not honor either. If Lexus corporate has determined the car should not be CPO, then in the future they likely won't honor CPO warranty claims on it.

Get rid of this thing. It will cause you headaches while you own it and even more when you try to sell it. Can you imagine how difficult it would be to try and explain this situation to a potential buyer? They'd be running for the hills.

If I were you, I'd demand to return the car for every single penny (including tax, etc) I spent on it. I'd then go use that money to buy a different car. It's up to you of course what car you would spend it on, but do NOT buy it from Rockville (needless to say). I wouldn't be turned off by CPO in general - I and many other CL members have had great experiences with theirs. No one could blame you for wanting to run away from the Lexus brand and/or the IS specifically, but I wouldn't be so quick - I think this was a very anomalous experience.

So to sum up, tell Lexus you're returning the car for every penny you spent, and you're going to take the money and buy a car from a different dealer (whether that's Lexus or not). Maybe they'll also throw in a nice discount on a different used or new car.

And the CT? Really? $30,000 (base price, no options) for 134 HP, 152 lb-ft of torque, a 0-60 time of 9.8 seconds, and 40 MPG highway?

Enjoy getting beaten off the line by a 1.6L Nissan Versa (9.5 seconds) that cost $20,000 less and gets 34 MPG highway.

Just saying

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-27-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 08:23 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

And the CT? Really? $30,000 (base price, no options) for 134 HP, 152 lb-ft of torque, a 0-60 time of 9.8 seconds, and 40 MPG highway?

Enjoy getting beaten off the line by a 1.6L Nissan Versa (9.5 seconds) that cost $20,000 less and gets 34 MPG highway.

Just saying.
LOL. Actually, the wife likes the CT. I am only considering it because of the gas prices since it doubles the IS’s, especially considering we do mostly city driving. But I still prefer the IS and AWD hands down.

I hear ya. I'm not getting another car from Rockville for sure but I won't apply this negative experience to Lexus as a whole. I will definitely bring someone with me to check out the car if it’s a CPO replacement for sure this time. Learned my lesson!
Old 04-27-11, 08:38 AM
calvin2376
Racer

LOL. Actually, the wife likes the CT. I am only considering it because of the gas prices since it doubles the IS’s, especially considering we do mostly city driving. But I still prefer the IS and AWD hands down.

I hear ya. I'm not getting another car from Rockville for sure but I won't apply this negative experience to Lexus as a whole. I will definitely bring someone with me to check out the car if it’s a CPO replacement for sure this time. Learned my lesson!
Haha I'm just giving you trouble. I actually find the CT styling very attractive, but I'm just scratching my head at its commercial viability.

If/when you pick out another car, take it to a different dealer and have them do a full inspection. So for example, if you found another CPO Lexus IS at one dealer, before you buy it take it to a different dealer and ask them to do a full pre-purchase inspection and look for any signs of an accident. The first dealer should have no problem with this, and it should only cost about $100 for an hour's worth of the second dealer's time. You could probably negotiate with Lexus corp to have them cover this cost for you.
Old 04-27-11, 08:55 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

yeah somebody in the GS forum had the same problem where they found out through there bumper being taken off, here is the link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-do-i-do.html
Old 04-27-11, 09:21 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I would get the full refund and deal with another dealership

CT is very hard to get - hard to neogitate with the prices too....

Last edited by kickin8; 04-27-11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 09:33 AM
calvin2376
Racer

You know, I bought my car CPO from Rockville about the same time you did. I'm wondering if I should go out and take off the bumpers to check and make sure everything looks good.

Anyone know how difficult it is to take off the bumpers? If it's not too difficult, I may do it this weekend.
Old 04-27-11, 10:06 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
yeah somebody in the GS forum had the same problem where they found out through there bumper being taken off, here is the link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-do-i-do.html
Whew finally read through that thread.

Looks like that owner got his car replaced through the original dealer .. after eating his car payments (1 month only) and down payment.

I don’t think I would have settled for that but the OP probably did his math and trading up for a 350 was worth it for him.
He didn’t have to go through Lexus corporate but looks like that won’t apply to me!

Now we’ll have 2 more scenarios in the forum for future CPO buyers to read and learn from our silly mistakes.

Side question for everyone, when you bring a car to a body shop for inspection prior to buying a car, do they even take off the bumpers? I know it’s quite easy with the that handheld tool to check for repaints but for $100 bucks would they take off the front and rear bumpers? Would they also catch something like this?
Old 04-27-11, 10:07 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have dealer A pick up the car and buy what you want. If you buy a Lexus I would give first shot to dealer B that brought this to your attention. Dealer A can shove it. I know initially I supported trading out with them but they did not make this easy on you. The CPO program is great and this supports their program.

I commend you for doing a GREAT job.

Buy a $100 dinner certificate for the person at delaer B that helped you. They saved you thousands.

Let dealer A take the hit and sell it as a used car.
Old 04-27-11, 10:11 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

It depends on what you want. If it's truly only a minor accident and you're happy with the car I would probably Ask them for some sort of extended warranty, some free future maintenance and keep the car.

If you're not happy with the car and what something else ask for a refund or swap it for another CPO.

Just remember if you keep the car and plan on selling it in the future the resell will be affected because of the accident.
Old 04-27-11, 10:12 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

You know, I bought my car CPO from Rockville about the same time you did. I'm wondering if I should go out and take off the bumpers to check and make sure everything looks good.

Anyone know how difficult it is to take off the bumpers? If it's not too difficult, I may do it this weekend.
I would for your own piece of mind... check youtube. (can't look up the link for you at work!) I think there were 1 or 2 videos on how to remove the bumpers on the IS. I skimmed them earlier this month when I was researching the issue.
Because to quote Don, the GM of Lexus of Rockville Maryland:
"To be frank, if you want a car without accidents, you better buy new".
"We are not required to disclose these things to the consumer" (re: Accidents)
"To be honest, I don't think we owe you anything" (after admitting orig owner admits to car accident)

That doesn't seem right!
Old 04-27-11, 10:17 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Keppie
Have dealer A pick up the car and buy what you want. If you buy a Lexus I would give first shot to dealer B that brought this to your attention. Dealer A can shove it. I know initially I supported trading out with them but they did not make this easy on you. The CPO program is great and this supports their program.

I commend you for doing a GREAT job.

Buy a $100 dinner certificate for the person at delaer B that helped you. They saved you thousands.

Let dealer A take the hit and sell it as a used car.
thanks Keppie, and everyone else. my first inital problem was more regarding my trade in or resale value in future. Before I jump to any conclusions, hopefully I will be looking for a new car soon!

I'll def get something for the service rep at Lexus of Queens as a thank you.
Old 04-27-11, 10:31 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I would for your own piece of mind... check youtube. (can't look up the link for you at work!) I think there were 1 or 2 videos on how to remove the bumpers on the IS. I skimmed them earlier this month when I was researching the issue.
Because to quote Don, the GM of Lexus of Rockville Maryland:
"To be frank, if you want a car without accidents, you better buy new".
"We are not required to disclose these things to the consumer" (re: Accidents)
"To be honest, I don't think we owe you anything" (after admitting orig owner admits to car accident)

That doesn't seem right!
Wow, what an enormous and unbelievable *****. Each one of those statements is demonstrably false and unnecessarily dickish.
Old 04-27-11, 10:42 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Wow, what an enormous and unbelievable *****. Each one of those statements is demonstrably false and unnecessarily dickish.
believe me, i was pretty livid when had that conversation, I wanted to go off on him but held it in because it just wasn't worth it since i knew it was going no where. I just finally confirmed that he was not going to do anything at all to remedy the situation and told him that it will not me me dealing with him regarding the matter going forward.
Old 04-27-11, 10:43 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

were you able to look it up on youtube? i'll post after work if you didnt find it by then.

Quick Reply: i250 Lexus CPO Fraud