IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Am I driving a Chevy/Ford or a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 02:45 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mvlbr
Did you not test drive the car before you bought it?
a 15 min test drive doesn't reveal rattles that happens down the road
Old 04-06-11, 02:50 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually have a dash rattle too. It kinda drives me nuts. My rear deck is also making noise with the radio on (vibration from speaker grill). The reat deck is most likley an easy fix so I'm not to worried about that. Dash rattels on the other hand can be a little more tricky to diag.

Either way...I love my car.
Old 04-06-11, 02:53 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm out of warranty so now I just blast the music!
Old 04-06-11, 02:59 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the car too, but part of the turn off to american cars were all the squeaks they develop. Everyone I asked said luxury cars dont have these, and from all the lux cars i've driven (quite a few) that seemed to be the case...

there are about 12 other threads on this topic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-hits-it.html there's the first one, i've got 11 to go!
Old 04-06-11, 03:59 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys need to realize we own the lowest Lexus model made (baring the new CT/HS stuff they recently came out with)...so in essence the "Corolla" of Lexus'. You can't honestly expect them to be as sound/rattle proof as say a GS or LS can you? I've owned several Lexus' and the IS is the cheapest model so far. Prior to my IS I owned a 2003 GS430 and that compared to my IS350 is like night and day when it comes to build qualify/ride/rattles.

While I understand your frustration (and I'm not trying to say it is not justified) the good ole' cardinal rule of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind when I read through some of your posts. You bought an IS not an LS so an IS is what you get.
Old 04-06-11, 04:05 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While i agree with somethings that Nixx said, it's still a Lexus in the end. The Lexus name is known for great engineering and the passionate "pursuit of perfection". You can't have dash rattles in a model and excuse it because its the "lowest in the line". What the brand stands for should be reflected in ALL its products, otherwise, you simply don't make that product because it doesn't fit who you are as a brand.

Whether you buy an IS, GS, LS, or LFA. You buy a "LEXUS" and all the qualities that go with the name.

I still love my Lexus tho, and i got my dash rattles fixed for free by the TSB, so Lexus has done whats right by me, and my next car will probably be a Lexus too!
Old 04-06-11, 04:38 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

They show the 250 in their commercials where they talk about solid construction right? I'm pretty disappointed with it. The 250 is still way more expensive than a corolla so I expect to get what I've paid for.
Old 04-06-11, 04:39 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
While i agree with somethings that Nixx said, it's still a Lexus in the end. The Lexus name is known for great engineering and the passionate "pursuit of perfection". You can't have dash rattles in a model and excuse it because its the "lowest in the line". What the brand stands for should be reflected in ALL its products, otherwise, you simply don't make that product because it doesn't fit who you are as a brand.

Whether you buy an IS, GS, LS, or LFA. You buy a "LEXUS" and all the qualities that go with the name.

I still love my Lexus tho, and i got my dash rattles fixed for free by the TSB, so Lexus has done whats right by me, and my next car will probably be a Lexus too!
+1 /Agree. If we expect lower quality than Ford, Honda, etc., what would be the point of buying a Lexus (other than for the name)? My family owns non-Luxury brand vehicles (as well) and have had vehicles with no rattles.

Having said that, I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread (other then venting, which is fine). It sounds like you've identified some (if not all) of the rattles. I'd say get them fixed and move on (or get rid of the vehicle). There are numerous threads on these rattles with some great fixes. If you find a new one perhaps you could start a new DIY thread.

I will say since you bought your vehicle used, there is absolutely no way you can pin this all on the manufacturer of the car unless you've validated all the clips, etc. are OEM and installed properly. If that's the situation, well it sucks, but really you got three choices. Live with it, fix it, or dump the vehicle.

Having said that, I wish you the best of luck. I know rattles are frustrating; Hopefully you get them resolved!
Old 04-06-11, 04:42 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

If lexus wont fix the Front rattle I can take care of that. I haven't found a DIY fix for the rear window rattle though.. I'm still reading though.

So far almost everyone who had it fixed ended up having the window replaced. I can't have that happen because I've already had it tinted and they for sure will blame it on that.

Last edited by Jmags; 04-06-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 05:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

In all honesty, while I've heard a number of rattles in other cars, including my Corolla, the rattle being shown as common in the dash of the IS is much worse, and the car costs a lot more than a Corolla.

I have 2 rattles in my 2011, one of them started around 600km after I got it, and the other started around 2,500km afterwards. I will get Lexus to take a look at them or fix them myself. I don't expect a car to be 100% rattle free, as you're constantly going over bumps, etc. some noises are normal and expected. The first rattle isn't even that bad, but the second is worse than anything I've experienced in my 86 Corolla, or my 2009 Corolla.

It doesn't ruin the car for me at all, but I'd like to get it taken care of.

At least I don't have the rattles Jmags does. (Sorry!)

Jeff
Old 04-06-11, 06:03 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

I own a 1993 bronco with 150k miles on it. On a newly paved road there are NO rattles in the truck LOL.

Like I said, today... driving down a newly paved road the back window/trunk was a freakin rattle snake the whole time I was onit.

Again today was a 60 degree day and my car was parked in the sun. I can't wait for one of those 100 degree days.

Last edited by Jmags; 04-06-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 06:12 PM
Numbahz
Driver

I feel the car has so much more going for it those little cracks and tinks rarely bother me and I only hear it when friends r in the car becasue my music is blasting then lol
Old 04-06-11, 06:54 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't call an IS-F the lowest end of Lexus and the dash is the same. Would you compare it to a Corolla S ??
I don't think Lexus did something more on an F then they did with a 250 or 350.
Like others have stated...A lexus is a Lexus. Your buying the quality behind the brand not the individual model.

Originally Posted by nixx621
You guys need to realize we own the lowest Lexus model made (baring the new CT/HS stuff they recently came out with)...so in essence the "Corolla" of Lexus'. You can't honestly expect them to be as sound/rattle proof as say a GS or LS can you? I've owned several Lexus' and the IS is the cheapest model so far. Prior to my IS I owned a 2003 GS430 and that compared to my IS350 is like night and day when it comes to build qualify/ride/rattles.

While I understand your frustration (and I'm not trying to say it is not justified) the good ole' cardinal rule of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind when I read through some of your posts. You bought an IS not an LS so an IS is what you get.
Old 04-06-11, 07:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 07 on teinSS (set stiff) and 35series tires making my ride VERY firm, our roads are ranked 3rd-4th worst in the nation and the only rattles i get are from when i turn up my sub/amp.
Old 04-06-11, 07:01 PM
Chargedmr2
Driver School Candidate

The rattle issue is definately a let down since the Lexus name suggests better. Like many others, I have similar experiences with a 2008 IS350. Dash rattles continuously on roads that are anything but perfectly smooth. And my car just broke 8,000 miles--its neen doing it since it reached about 4,000 miles. As my first Lexus, it was definately a let down.

If this is a common problem, which it appears to be, why has Lexus not resolved it? Don't they get that these problems cheapen the name?

Quick Reply: Am I driving a Chevy/Ford or a Lexus?