relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude...it's a lexus, they are known to make rattle noises
Old 04-06-11, 07:26 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

I have inconsistent rattles coming from center console and front passenger seat belt area. I think most people have expectation from the amount of money they invest in a car or any other products they buy. It is all relative. The quality in the car industry has gone way down. It is probably due to bottom line, regulation, technology, etc., etc. What can you really do... lol
Old 04-06-11, 07:38 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might as well through in my dash rattle video.. even though this is about the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25iMhPItto
Old 04-06-11, 08:55 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Damn those roads look scary to drive on....
Old 04-06-11, 10:48 PM
THE350
Rookie

dont have any noises in my car.
Old 04-07-11, 06:03 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand the sentiment of some posters that this is a car on the "lower" end of Lexus' model range. However, "lower" should mean in terms of size, performance, features, and price, NOT build quality. Especially with a brand like Lexus.

The dash rattle is a design flaw, pure and simple. Lexus designed and built the IS dash in a poor way and used poor materials for the application. This is exactly why the TSIB for the dash rattle fixes entails replacing the dash clips originally used by Lexus with rubber ones that cause less squeaking, and basically encapsulating everything in foam padding to reduce noise. This is basically a patch-job; it doesn't fix the root cause of the issue, it's just attempting to alleviate some of the symptoms. You'll find very few people on CL who had the dash rattle TSIB performed and were 100% happy with the results.

All cars over time will succumb to some deterioration and will have noises, squeaks and rattles appear. However, this problem afflicts almost all '06-'08 ISX50s, and is known to arise on cars with as few as a thousand miles on the odometer: essentially brand new cars. The case is similar with the windshield molding/weatherstripping; Lexus chose poor quality materials, and it's deteriorating and cracking prematurely.

Overall, I'm pleased with the car and the build quality, in pretty much every respect other than the dash and the molding. However, I believe that because the dash rattle is purely Lexus' fault as it resulted from a design flaw, I think they should take responsibility and cover the repairs on owners' cars, instead of saddling those out of factory warranty with over a $1000 repair bill just to remedy issues that should have been borne out in the design and testing process.

Lexus has a reputation for reliability and high build quality, and in most respects I've found both in my car. However, the dash rattle is a clear anomaly and as such, Lexus should take responsibility.
Old 04-07-11, 06:18 AM
Veritasxe
Driver School Candidate

It's pretty normal with any car. Even though its a Lexus, it's still mostly plastic and rubber from the inside. Things become loose, go back there and see if you can find out where the noise is coming from and put a dampener of some kind around the object creating the noise.
Old 04-07-11, 07:24 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veritasxe
It's pretty normal with any car. Even though its a Lexus, it's still mostly plastic and rubber from the inside. Things become loose, go back there and see if you can find out where the noise is coming from and put a dampener of some kind around the object creating the noise.
I have to imagine you have not had this in your car, as it is not at all this simple.

"Going back there" means removing the dash pad, which means removing the entire dash out of the car and all the parts that need to come along with it (center console, etc). This is a 2-3 hour job minimum if you're doing it right and especially if you've never done it before. In addition, the mere act of removing the dash pad entails myriad potential concerns such as disconnecting wires, knocking things loose, etc. Many times when you remove the dash pad to fix an issue and replace it, you end up with a whole new sound or rattle.

In addition, "putting dampeners around the object creating the noise" is exactly what the Lexus TSIB calls for; essentially wrapping everything under the dash pad in foam. However, there are so many different things that could cause this rattle that Lexus just advises to wrap everything in foam, instead of just specific objects causing the sounds because often that can't be determined. Furthermore, performance of this TSIB in no way guarantees the sound goes away. I've had my dealer perform this TSIB 4 times; the sound's gotten better, but has not gone away. Others on CL have been in even more times than I.

And as far as "pretty normal with any car", I've owned 2 LS400s with close to 200K miles, and the dashes were absolutely silent. In fact, the entire cars were. Never had issues with rattles, squeaks, or unwanted sounds, and keep in mind this was on a 1990 LS with 200K miles. This also did not happen on my 2003 E55, which in pretty much every respect was a repair and build quality nightmare. However, the interior was completely silent. I've also ridden in, driven, or had family members own countless other cars, and have never experienced an issue this bad, frequent, and common.

This is not a "normal" issue. Of course noises, squeaks and rattles arise on cars as they get older. Everyone knows and should expect that. But this issue has arisen on cars with under 10K miles. It is a build quality and design flaw, pure and simple. Lexus acknowledges as much in the steps they advise in their TSIB.
Old 04-07-11, 10:27 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
You guys need to realize we own the lowest Lexus model made (baring the new CT/HS stuff they recently came out with)...so in essence the "Corolla" of Lexus'. You can't honestly expect them to be as sound/rattle proof as say a GS or LS can you? I've owned several Lexus' and the IS is the cheapest model so far. Prior to my IS I owned a 2003 GS430 and that compared to my IS350 is like night and day when it comes to build qualify/ride/rattles.

While I understand your frustration (and I'm not trying to say it is not justified) the good ole' cardinal rule of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind when I read through some of your posts. You bought an IS not an LS so an IS is what you get.
I can second this, I had a '97 SC400 before the IS and the build quality was way different. Even though the SC was so much older, you could really feel the difference of a ~$60k car (14 years ago) compared to what is currently a ~$40k car. Although better than your average car, the IS feels like a tin can compared to anything else in the Lexus lineup.
Old 04-07-11, 10:37 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you ever been in an audi for example....rattles like crazy and very cheap/plastic feel as well
Old 04-07-11, 10:41 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sooo happy I don't have all these rattles you guys talk about. I do have a seat squeak sometimes (not doing it currently) but that has happened with every car I've owned, except the cars from the 70's. I'm okay with it because I am a big guy and it's expected.
Old 04-07-11, 10:54 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I get no such rattles on my IS.

I've driven a Chevy Cobalt before as a loaner. It broke down on me on the highway. My IS never did that.

Just my experience.
Old 04-07-11, 11:02 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
I get no such rattles on my IS.

I'll second that ^^^^
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
Old 04-07-11, 11:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not experiencing that rattle in my 07 Lexus IS (or my Ford).
Old 04-07-11, 11:14 AM
jay-b
Driver

Mine just started rattling in the rear over the winter, but only does it every now and then...my car is also lowered, hit some bumps but nothing major...i wana bring it in to the dealer since im still CPO, but affarid theyll just blame it on the stiffer lower springs/car ride.

Quick Reply: Am I driving a Chevy/Ford or a Lexus?