Am I driving a Chevy/Ford or a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 11:20 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
a 15 min test drive doesn't reveal rattles that happens down the road
He should have planned a test drive around his typical driving route and preferably without the stereo on. Some dealers in my area even let you take the car home overnight.
Old 04-07-11, 11:24 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine sounds like that all the time, but I cant hear it anymore now that I have an exhaust system
Old 04-07-11, 11:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veritasxe
It's pretty normal with any car. Even though its a Lexus, it's still mostly plastic and rubber from the inside. Things become loose, go back there and see if you can find out where the noise is coming from and put a dampener of some kind around the object creating the noise.
and that is why you pay more for a Lexus. Otherwise I'd have got myself a Hyundai.

I have owned Lexus since it's glory days ie. I had a 2000 ES300 that I sold off last year after putting in 185K+ miles on it. Nothing rattled in it. Nothing vibrated in the car even when the music was in full blast. No windows, no door panel, no rear view panel vibrations. Quiet as a coffin. literally.
Old 04-07-11, 11:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by intellis
hmmm who is the girl in the pic?
my wife....actually not, but she is just if not more hot
Old 04-07-11, 12:02 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

ive had a rattle noise coming from the rear of my IS. never got it fixed as the car was a lease and i gave it back in. But some random person at the dealership asked me about my foglight overlays and we eventually led on to talk about why he was there.... he was having his car serviced as he had the same rattle problem i had at the rear of my vehicle. He had the current generation GS. Its not just the IS that has this rattle problem. Weird thing is, i only got it as the weather would get warm. Heat causes expansion and i think somethin within the section of where the rattle was coming from had expanded in size maybe?, and caused it to be out of place where it would rattle. IT WAS ANNOYING
Old 04-07-11, 12:11 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious why some of us have rattles and some don't. Aren't these cars generally constructed the same way? Could it be driving conditions that eventually cause things to shift? Some people get it at 1k miles and some at 100k miles.
Old 04-07-11, 01:10 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
I'm curious why some of us have rattles and some don't. Aren't these cars generally constructed the same way? Could it be driving conditions that eventually cause things to shift? Some people get it at 1k miles and some at 100k miles.
I don't believe the dash design is the exact same between the '06-'08 and the 2010 you have. I know at some point they upgraded the clips used. In any case, the majority of '06-'08 cars will suffer from this at some time or another. There are a lot of factors that can bring about the onset, such as driving on really rough roads that will jostle things loose, colder climates which cause the plastic to shrink and causes more sound than in hotter climates, general wear and tear on the vehicle over time, etc.
Old 04-07-11, 02:39 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Well my dealership contacted me and wants me to bring it in to hear the rattles.

I sent them the youtube videos and respectfully told them that we'd have to wait for a warm day as the rear window needs to be in the sun on a nice day for it to happen.

As we move closer to summer I assume it'll be easy to reproduce, seems it doesn't happen on days colder than 60 right now.
Old 04-07-11, 02:46 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mvlbr
He should have planned a test drive around his typical driving route and preferably without the stereo on. Some dealers in my area even let you take the car home overnight.
Srsly?

First of all, the roads were pretty good around here when i did take it on a test drive, the blizzards of winter hadn't hit yet.

Secondly that is NO excuse at all for a luxury car to have noises like that.
Old 04-07-11, 02:47 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

i have a 2007 CPO with 59K and I have no noises in mine.....
Old 04-07-11, 04:00 PM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

70k cpo 06 no rattle so far (fingers crossed)
Old 04-07-11, 04:11 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I think we all need to understand that the 2nd generation IS came from Toyota/Lexus during the absolute low point in the companies history. The whole of the lineup has taken a step backward in quality etc... While at the same time, in order to survive, other automakers have fixed there nagging quality issues due to NVH. aka Noise Vibration Harshness. It's a tough pill to swallow.
Old 04-07-11, 06:13 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gaugster
I think we all need to understand that the 2nd generation IS came from Toyota/Lexus during the absolute low point in the companies history. The whole of the lineup has taken a step backward in quality etc... While at the same time, in order to survive, other automakers have fixed there nagging quality issues due to NVH. aka Noise Vibration Harshness. It's a tough pill to swallow.
That's fine. And if they are in a better spot now, Lexus CORP should issue a full fledged recall.

I have made it very clear to the dealership that I DO NOT expect them to cover this out of their pocket as I did not buy it from them and it's not under warranty. I am hoping that since we are in one of the highest socio economic places in the country Lexus Corp. will stand up and say "ok we ****ed up"

I know the chances of that are 0 to none. However we'll see what happens. Honestly after reading the fourms it seems like the front rattle is easily cured. The rear window rattle on HOT SUMMER DAYS is going to **** me off like NO OTHER because it's double as loud as the front rattle and even worse it happens on perfectly smooth roads.
Old 04-07-11, 06:18 PM
WeisISF
Pole Position

you do understand you have the lowest level car in the Lexus line up?
Old 04-07-11, 06:33 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nolim1ts22
you do understand you have the lowest level car in the Lexus line up?
You do understand it has a L on it for Lexus right? and the 350 and the ISF have the same problems?

Quick Reply: Am I driving a Chevy/Ford or a Lexus?