IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Guy at carwash scratched my interior plastic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 01:23 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can catch the scratch with your finger nail then you can't do anything about it unfortunately, except replace the plastic.

If you want to try going hardcore and remove the plastic, then you could use a headlight restoration kit on it. This would involve wetsanding it, hence you don't want to do it while it is still in place...
Old 04-07-11, 04:50 PM
machefai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
if you can catch the scratch with your finger nail then you can't do anything about it unfortunately, except replace the plastic.

If you want to try going hardcore and remove the plastic, then you could use a headlight restoration kit on it. This would involve wetsanding it, hence you don't want to do it while it is still in place...
then i'm in trouble... Well I ordered the Novus polish and cleaner from amazon, will be here tomorrow. Will post some before and afters...but only if it works. otherwise i'll be too mad.
Old 04-07-11, 05:29 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
^^^
If you have a nice car, don't let some knucklehead with a dirty "wash" rag grind scratches into your car! I ALWAYS wash my own car, and even to this day my IS350 has ZERO swirl marks in the paint, and no scratches on the interior wood/plastic.
I saw a car wash guy picked up a rag from the floor after he accidentally dropped it. He didn't even wash the rag again before continuing to clean the car.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 04-07-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 06:04 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a car wash ****ed up a 1200 dollar part on my car I would absolutely be bringing it right back to them!!
Old 04-07-11, 06:18 PM
machefai
Driver

Wait, $1,200?? It was just the clear acrylic plastic in front of the speedometer! Is that how much the go for?
Old 04-07-11, 07:09 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by machefai
Wait, $1,200?? It was just the clear acrylic plastic in front of the speedometer! Is that how much the go for?
I've never seen anyone sell that piece alone. You usually have to buy the whole cluster!
Old 04-07-11, 07:11 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm really picky about my cars and I still take them to the car wash every once in a while. I always end up selling or trading my cars in for nothing so whats the point anyway.
Old 04-07-11, 07:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll let Paul Dalton wash my car IF he'll do it for free *500usd to wash just too see how much a detail will cost *
Old 04-07-11, 08:05 PM
texas02118
Driver

Next time be more careful with your car and take it to a reputable car wash. The cluster lens is pretty cheap and you can replace it.

Here is a link: http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexus...imagecallout=2

When I bought my car the stealership ripped me off and charged me 400 dollars to replace that part (I bought the car used).

Good luck replacing it!
Old 04-07-11, 08:12 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmags
I've never seen anyone sell that piece alone. You usually have to buy the whole cluster!
Toyota/Lexus always sells it separately, I think most companies do.

I'd have them replace it.

EDIT: I'd have them pay to replace it. I'd either replace it myself or get Lexus to do it. They've already screwed up once, haha.

Jeff
Old 04-08-11, 05:29 AM
machefai
Driver

oh thank god! when jmags mentioned $1,200, i was freaking out! Now $2 is more like it!

I have the Novus plastic stuff coming today and will try that first. If it fails, I'm off to the dealer.
Old 04-08-11, 08:04 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by machefai
oh thank god! when jmags mentioned $1,200, i was freaking out! Now $2 is more like it!

I have the Novus plastic stuff coming today and will try that first. If it fails, I'm off to the dealer.
If you were at a car wash I guarantee that's not the only thing that got scratched... If you let bristles touch your car then you are in swirl heaven.. and if you went to a touchless then your car has no protection on it left for the elements (touchless strips wax off).

Let me know how that novus stuff works, I have tried the kit on 2 or 3 plastics with 0 success, actually made it look worst but I think the plastic i used it on was treated. I plan on trying PlasticX, I hear its pretty good for plastic scratch removal, just make sure you use the right pad.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I wonder if the novus would work better with a applicator pad that they use for car polishes/wax...hmmm
Old 04-08-11, 08:44 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it should be able to purchase this piece alone. The plastic should cost you a bit, but maybe < $20 I think (check with your dealer) and you'll have a new plastic piece.

But replacing the whole cluster, about $1200-1500 dollars!
Old 04-08-11, 09:59 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sango
Yes, it should be able to purchase this piece alone. The plastic should cost you a bit, but maybe < $20 I think (check with your dealer) and you'll have a new plastic piece.

But replacing the whole cluster, about $1200-1500 dollars!
Uh yeah... someone literally just posted a link a couple of posts up. It's about $22.
Old 04-08-11, 12:37 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
Uh yeah... someone literally just posted a link a couple of posts up. It's about $22.
Opps, sorry - I didn't suspect the link was it.

Quick Reply: Guy at carwash scratched my interior plastic!