IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Guy at carwash scratched my interior plastic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 12:43 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah my bad - I've never seen a link like that where you could just buy the plastic...
Old 04-08-11, 12:47 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That plastic is so soft... I just wiped it with a NEW dry microfiber to get the dust off and I could already see some swirl mark type scratches. They are barley noticeable though...
Old 04-08-11, 01:11 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all microfibre is not created equal. The ones with the laser cut edges are hard and will mar your paint or scratch your interior plastics. Use those on wheels, door jambs, engine etc.

Paint and interior should be treated to the good stuff (silk banding or 70% polyester, 30% polyamide towels from pakshak)

remember if it will scratch a cd it will scratch your paint...
Old 04-08-11, 02:45 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe one needs to put those screen protectors on the cluster!
Old 04-08-11, 07:49 PM
machefai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Novus polish in today from amazon, was like $10, shipped. I prepared myself for the worse case scenario, a completely scratched and utter mess of a lens cover. At best, I was expecting the deep scratch to be slightly better, but the surrounding area to somehow get scratched up from the compound or something.

I cleaned the lens first then applied Novus #2. It definitely helped the lighter scratches at one end, but hardly touched the deeper parts that were throughout most of the scratch. So I reapplied #2 again, this time with a bit more confidence, swirling it harder into the pastic. Once I polished off the waxy haze, I was astonished! The scratch was completely gone! It truly was like magic. Not only did it remove the deep scratch, the lens was like new! No joke and no exaggeration! Not even the slightest blemish anywhere. Maybe it was because I had such low expectations, but I was shocked and 100% pleased with how it turned out and how amazingly clear and perfect it looked!

Thanks for all the feedback(car wash hatin' noncontributing people aside)! Hope this helps others with plastic issues! I would say this Novus polish definitely lives up to it's claim, for this particular plastic anyway. I read a ton of reviews of jackasses *****ing about how it didn't get a scratch out of their tv screen or window. Anyway, I'd recommend folks use it it even to revive weathered or worn pieces!

Before:

After:
Old 04-08-11, 09:13 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ WOW thats impressive!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-11, 09:33 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wowa wewa vedy nice! I wonder if this would be safe on my center console as it has some light scratches?
Old 04-08-11, 09:45 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

first mistake, carswash. the end. not trying to be a jerk i swear but like seriously?
Old 04-09-11, 05:18 AM
machefai
Driver

For the record, it was a hand wash detailing place. Not a drive thru car wash. Just some buckets and cloths. I'd used them a ton with my other cars and never had an issue. Part of the reason I didn't go and *****, was that I'm sure it was a total accident. The car really did look immaculate....well other than the gash!

Learned a few things here:

1) don't always listen to advice on forum(lens costs $2, cluster costs $20, none cost $1,200).
2) if you can feel the scratch with your nail, don't lose hope!
3) don't ever mention "carwash" in your posts unless it's the exact subject of your question.
4) accidents are going to happen. The important thing is how you deal with them!