IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

towing truck scammed me right after accident???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 02:34 AM
ak89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing truck scammed me right after accident???

On my way home from dinner, I get T boned by 96 dodge caravan on a mini intersection. Right when i come out of the car, a guy wearing a traffic unit sweater offers me to tow my car to a collision center (before i got to call my insurance company) I was skeptical at first but he handed me his business card and said that he will tow my car for free. He also stated he works with a lot of insurance companies and that i wont have to worry about paying a deductable. The ambulance came after and asked me to move my car so the towing guy said he would move it for me. Pretty much my car is on this guys towing truck. I saw the logo on the truck and it looked legit to me. After the police exchanged information with me and the caravan driver, the towing guy gave me some paper work. It says hes gonna tow it to Matrix Collision Center, but how can I trust this guy? He said to call tomorrow morning and the car will be there...Iam very worried that this was a scam...anyone know about bandit towing??

I also called the number on his business card and no one picks up...it also says 24hr dispatch on it...aahh im really worried
Old 04-11-11, 04:39 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

The cops are usually familiar with all the towing companys in town so it would
take a lots ***** for a fake to steal a car right in front of the cops covering your accident.
I doubt it will be free but your probably ok.
Old 04-11-11, 04:43 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

i'd tell the cops what happened and explain your worries to them, and hopefully they'll check it out for you. good luck.
Old 04-11-11, 04:57 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

your good, he just muscled you because he wanted the business. You dont have to use that body shop either, but if you dont get your car towed out quick
Old 04-11-11, 05:09 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My aunt's car was t-boned in queens, NY. tow truck driver brought the car to their lot and removed numerious items for the car. (CD Changer, loose change, cd's).

Went to complain and shop states items were never in the car, and they didn't touch it. Filed a report with the police and nothing ever happened.
Old 04-11-11, 05:33 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^well thats good to know...i dont trust those towing ppl either...i have tripleA so i usually jusy have them tow the car to my house and whenever everything is sorted out n rdy to fix i have it towed to the shop
Old 04-11-11, 05:36 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does it matter anyway, car's prolly total and as long as you have insurance it doesn't matter, call it in as stolen.
Old 04-11-11, 06:30 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

You should have just called your own tow truck..I probably would not have let them take my car not knowing 100% if they were legit..but that's just me!
Old 04-11-11, 07:25 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't of let him tow my car either. I understand that you were probably all messed up by what just happened and not thinking right, but I think you'll be ok. GL
Old 04-11-11, 08:24 AM
ak89
Driver School Candidate

They brought the car to a very expensive body shop called Matrix in Los Angeles. Would it be better if I told my insurance that I want it covered by another body shop that's cheaper? Please someone help! Im filing a claim right now sigh....
Old 04-11-11, 09:59 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Isn't the other person's insurance going to pay for the repairs? If they are at fault, I don't see why not?

Why would you want you car repaired at a sub-par shop?
Old 04-11-11, 10:02 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Hey bro,
Not knowing what insurance you have, or who is at fault in the accident, it's a bit tough to give advice. However, most likely you have full insurance since the car is still owned by the bank (assumption) so all you are accountable for is the deductible. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter how expensive the shop is, you are only liable for the deductible.

What you should really be concerned about is whether this is a quality shop... for that you'll have to do a bunch of research. There's a lot of crap quality body shops out there, be careful!

Originally Posted by ak89
They brought the car to a very expensive body shop called Matrix in Los Angeles. Would it be better if I told my insurance that I want it covered by another body shop that's cheaper? Please someone help! Im filing a claim right now sigh....
Old 04-11-11, 10:07 AM
ak89
Driver School Candidate

is there a way to avoid my $500 deductible?? i really cant afford this right now....i just got my car 2 weeks ago...GOSHHHH
Old 04-11-11, 10:08 AM
ak89
Driver School Candidate

can the body shop lie to the insurance company that the repairs are more expensive? and maybe they can cover the deductible for me?
Old 04-11-11, 10:11 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Dude, what you are talking about is fraud and is illegal.

Quick Reply: towing truck scammed me right after accident???