IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New owner questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 04:40 PM
RObrizok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner questions.....

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.
Just purchased a new IS250 AWD. Nav and Luxury plus.

1.I noticed that the side view mirrors tilt down when placed in reverse. This occurs when my wife drives with her key fob. I noticed that the side view mirrors don't always tilt down for me when I use my key fob.? Is there something I am doing wrong?

2. Climate control in full auto. AC on. when I raise the temp to take the chill off in early morning the air still comes out cold. raise to 72 air still cold. If I turn off the AC then the air is warm. I thought that "full auto" would mean full auto and I wouldn't have to turn off the AC for alittle heat.

thanks in advance
Bob
Old 04-14-11, 06:53 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RObrizok
I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.
Just purchased a new IS250 AWD. Nav and Luxury plus.

1.I noticed that the side view mirrors tilt down when placed in reverse. This occurs when my wife drives with her key fob. I noticed that the side view mirrors don't always tilt down for me when I use my key fob.? Is there something I am doing wrong?

2. Climate control in full auto. AC on. when I raise the temp to take the chill off in early morning the air still comes out cold. raise to 72 air still cold. If I turn off the AC then the air is warm. I thought that "full auto" would mean full auto and I wouldn't have to turn off the AC for alittle heat.

thanks in advance
Bob
1. This has nothing to do with your key fob. The side mirror that will tilt down when you put it in reverse is the one you have selected on the rocker switch on the driver's door switch panel. So if the rocker switch has L selected and you put it in reverse, the L mirror will tilt down but the R mirror will not and vice versa.

2. I always leave my car on auto and never pay attention to whether A/C is selected, I just pick the temperature, and I get both warm air if I selected a high temperature, and cold air if I select a low temperature. My only thought is that if it's cold out in the morning and you're wanting warm air, you might just not be giving it enough chance to warm up.
Old 04-14-11, 07:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The key should be programable. At least on a few ES's I've seen where you walk up to the door and seats and mirrors position themselves even before you turn on the car.

I don't even touch the auto button, it's to finicky lol
Old 04-14-11, 07:21 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=calvin2376;6311462]1. This has nothing to do with your key fob. The side mirror that will tilt down when you put it in reverse is the one you have selected on the rocker switch on the driver's door switch panel. So if the rocker switch has L selected and you put it in reverse, the L mirror will tilt down but the R mirror will not and vice versa.

Not sure that's correct. IIRC the mirrors lower (both) when you have the mirror switched to either left or right but not when it is in the middle (neither mirror selected.) I haven't seen just one mirror or the other lower. Mine's an '06 so maybe it's changed on newer models.
Old 04-14-11, 07:32 PM
calvin2376
Racer

[QUOTE=anthrax144;6311535]
Originally Posted by calvin2376
1. This has nothing to do with your key fob. The side mirror that will tilt down when you put it in reverse is the one you have selected on the rocker switch on the driver's door switch panel. So if the rocker switch has L selected and you put it in reverse, the L mirror will tilt down but the R mirror will not and vice versa.

Not sure that's correct. IIRC the mirrors lower (both) when you have the mirror switched to either left or right but not when it is in the middle (neither mirror selected.) I haven't seen just one mirror or the other lower. Mine's an '06 so maybe it's changed on newer models.
I can verify that on my 2007 IS350 with Luxury Package that if the rocker switch is set to "L" and I put it in reverse, only the left mirror tilts down. If I set it to "R" and I put it in reverse, only the right mirror tilts down. If I set it to the middle (neither selected), neither tilts down. I verified this by going outside to my car and testing it.

I also verified this with my dealer when I first got the car, because one time neither mirror tilted down for me and so I asked the dealer if it meant it was broken, and he showed me that if the panel is in the middle, the feature is disabled and neither mirror will tilt. It has to be set to either "L" or "R".

I of course can only speak to the 2007 IS350, but my understanding of the model year differences is that this didn't change for the 2IS any model year.

EDIT: Actually if you check your 2006 IS350's owner's manual, you'll find this on page 40:

Linked mirror function when reversing (vehicles with driving position memory)
The outside rear view mirrors will automatically angle downwards when the vehicle
is reversing in order to give a better view of the ground. However, this function will
not operate when the mirror select switch is in the neutral position (between L and
R).

In any case, to the OP's question, this has nothing to do with your key fob. Play around with the rocker switch and see how the mirrors move when you put it in reverse under different mirror selections.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-14-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 03:50 AM
RObrizok
Driver School Candidate

Guys..... Thanks for solving the side view mirror question, it was puzzling. As for "auto climate", I guess I will just have to get used to it.
Old 04-15-11, 05:50 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by RObrizok
Guys..... Thanks for solving the side view mirror question, it was puzzling. As for "auto climate", I guess I will just have to get used to it.
I checked my car and verified that with A/C on, I still get warm air if I turn the temperature up enough, so it should not be imperative that you turn off A/C to get warm air at all. Once your car is sufficiently warmed up (meaning you've driven it for 10-15 minutes or so after a cold start up at least), try turning it on full auto with the A/C turned on and turn the temperature up to 80 degrees. If you don't get warm air, something may be wrong with your system.
Old 04-15-11, 05:57 AM
mlcoolj
Rookie

If it's cold out and your car is now warmed up sufficiently, then you'll only get cold air out of the vents for a while, when the car is warmed up then you'll get warm air...
Old 04-15-11, 06:11 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Same on my 09 250. Both mirrors tilt down when I put in reverse with the switch either on L or R. Not one at time...
Old 04-15-11, 07:48 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Same on my 09 250. Both mirrors tilt down when I put in reverse with the switch either on L or R. Not one at time...
Interesting, maybe this has changed or maybe my car just doesn't like me.
Old 04-15-11, 08:25 AM
Blinkstang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Originally Posted by calvin2376
Interesting, maybe this has changed or maybe my car just doesn't like me.
I have a 2007 350 as well and both of mine go down, as stated above.
Old 04-15-11, 08:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blinkstang
I have a 2007 350 as well and both of mine go down, as stated above.
Ditto on my 08- both tilt down.
Old 04-15-11, 09:03 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Ditto on my 08- both tilt down.
Well weird. So if the switch is in either "L" or "R", both your mirrors tilt down, but if it's in neutral, neither do. Is that correct?
Old 04-15-11, 09:23 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had the tilting mirrors on my car I was sooooo jelous when I had an RX loaner and it did that.
Old 04-15-11, 09:38 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

this is very informative!

Quick Reply: New owner questions.....