IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any 350 AWD's hittin the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11 | 06:55 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Interesting.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 09-25-24 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-28-11 | 08:15 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

I'm not going to bother quoting you and responding to each individual thing because I guess I know what my experience is in my life and with my cars. However, you are dead wrong in your overall judgement on AWD used on regular roads in my oppinion. I've driven lots of different 2 wheel drive cars all my life and some of your statements are not factual at all.
Old 04-28-11 | 08:32 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jmags
I'm not going to bother quoting you and responding to each individual thing because I guess I know what my experience is in my life and with my cars. However, you are dead wrong in your overall judgement on AWD used on regular roads in my oppinion. I've driven lots of different 2 wheel drive cars all my life and some of your statements are not factual at all.
lol too much work... cant satisfy everyone.
Old 04-28-11 | 08:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well, ya know, other than the fact I backed them all up with facts.

With sources even.

Versus your "personal life experience"

It's possible you just drove really crappy 2WD cars in your personal life experience though... while my facts are provided by objective sources who tested AWD vs. RWD of the same car... (which is what we're talking about here after all).

I mean, if I went from a mid-90s cavelier to an AWD 250 I'd be thinking the AWD system was magic too... rather than realizing most of the improvement is the vastly better engineering and suspension overall between the cars.

Plus, the "personal experience" of many others in the thread, including folks living further north than you, also disagree with you.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-28-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-28-11 | 10:16 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, ya know, other than the fact I backed them all up with facts.

With sources even.

Versus your "personal life experience"

It's possible you just drove really crappy 2WD cars in your personal life experience though... while my facts are provided by objective sources who tested AWD vs. RWD of the same car... (which is what we're talking about here after all).

I mean, if I went from a mid-90s cavelier to an AWD 250 I'd be thinking the AWD system was magic too... rather than realizing most of the improvement is the vastly better engineering and suspension overall between the cars.

Plus, the "personal experience" of many others in the thread, including folks living further north than you, also disagree with you.
I'm not going to waste the time and show you detailed pics of where AWD makes a difference around here. Just not worth it. You may keep thinking that every single person owns three sets of tires and those tires are always 100% tread level as well as the fact that all roads are created equal. Have a nice day.
Old 04-28-11 | 10:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not going to waste the time and show you detailed pics of where AWD makes a difference around here. Just not worth it. You may keep thinking that every single person owns three sets of tires and those tires are always 100% tread level as well as the fact that all roads are created equal. Have a nice day.

You're making even less sense now...

Why would someone have three sets of tires?

Folks in the south have one set- summer performance tires that work great year-round.

Folks in the north should have two- Summer tires and snow tires.... with the snows going on for however long a season their area is likely to have a chance of snow.

Doing so will insure you have significantly better performance and safety (including much shorter braking distance) every single day of the year compared to someone trying to compromise with one set of all-seasons... regardless of drivetrain, road, or weather.
Old 04-28-11 | 11:11 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Old 04-28-11 | 11:12 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

^^^ lol im with u on this one.
Old 04-28-11 | 11:15 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I came in this thread like everyone else hoping to see some track #s on the AWD. But instead I encounter a never lasting argument.
Old 04-28-11 | 12:00 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Interesting.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 09-25-24 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-28-11 | 03:55 PM
autovation
Intermediate

The fact is we currently have 1 data point (thanks panyo64!) that shows a 2.0 sec 60' time and a 13.7 qtr mile time for a 100% stock/unmodified AWD.

We have dozens of data points for RWD showing 1.9-2.4 sec 60' times and 13.2-14.5 qtr mile times (stock).

Since some RWD guys launched with 1.9 sec 60' times, does that mean that the RWD launches better? The opposing argument is the 2.0 sec 60' time is better than most RWD 60' times. If you look at 1 data point, you can make whatever conclusions you want. Statistics will tell the story over time but I'm betting the AWD does launch better.

If traction is not an issue on the RWD, why would you lower your tire pressure to get better traction? Here's several threads with drag strip experience with lots of spinning tires...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mile-runs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...-tracking.html
Old 04-28-11 | 04:39 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by autovation
The fact is we currently have 1 data point (thanks panyo64!) that shows a 2.0 sec 60' time and a 13.7 qtr mile time for a 100% stock/unmodified AWD.

We have dozens of data points for RWD showing 1.9-2.4 sec 60' times and 13.2-14.5 qtr mile times (stock).

Since some RWD guys launched with 1.9 sec 60' times, does that mean that the RWD launches better? The opposing argument is the 2.0 sec 60' time is better than most RWD 60' times. If you look at 1 data point, you can make whatever conclusions you want. Statistics will tell the story over time but I'm betting the AWD does launch better.

If traction is not an issue on the RWD, why would you lower your tire pressure to get better traction? Here's several threads with drag strip experience with lots of spinning tires...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mile-runs.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...-tracking.html
Maybe because I usually run 40PSI all around on my 19s on a daily basis?
Old 04-28-11 | 05:18 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Maybe because I usually run 40PSI all around on my 19s on a daily basis?
Exactly. If you want to launch better on the street, you aren't going to get out of your car and let air out.
Old 04-28-11 | 07:11 PM
machefai
Driver

Nice threads, and good points, thanks! Did you catch those vids of ~2k launch achieving a 4.7 0-60? when does a rwd lose traction then? In the thread, people were burning out at ~1k! I realize pressure matters, but sounds like you can't punch it either..

So if launching at 1,100 rpm(caymendiver) yielded his best runs and the guy in the vid was near 2k and had a 4.7, doesn't that contradict the stall speed point?

Does launching in the higher power band produce faster times? What are stall speeds for rwd vs awd? Can't imagine they're the same w/ diff trannys!
Old 04-28-11 | 07:24 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by autovation
Exactly. If you want to launch better on the street, you aren't going to get out of your car and let air out.
I wouldn't even be launching my car in the street let alone racing..

Recommended tire pressure is at ~35PSI but I like to bump it up to 40PSI because I am on 19s and there is a whole bunch of potholes in my area. I can easily run the recommended 35PSI on the streets if I wanted to.. Btw, those runs that I accomplished ~13.1 three different times is at low ~30PSI.

Quick Reply: Any 350 AWD's hittin the track?