IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 09:18 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no prob. thats what i said too when i saw it. i might jus try it out for $26. i wasnt disappointed.
Old 04-18-11, 09:49 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't use a steering damper as a "fix", it is to be used as an improvement. There is obviously something wrong with your IS. Adding a damper might make it harder to find. If you want a damper, add it AFTER you fix the problem.

Does the problem disappear when you tap the brakes? Is it worse while braking? More detail is needed. Steering wheel vibration at speed is typically not related to your brakes.

Start with the easy and cheap stuff first and work your way from there...

- tire air pressure
- tire tread
- alignment
- wheel balancing
- inspect the steering rack (maybe something isn't bolted down correctly?)
- "hard" suspension issues incl. ball joints, steering knuckles, bearings, etc.
Old 04-18-11, 10:01 AM
JDMis350
Driver

i agree, i wasnt recommending the damper as a fix. i put it my 2cents as far as the "wheel bearing" comment. the steering damper convo was just a separate question i was answering for another member bro.
Old 04-18-11, 01:13 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Sounds like what had happened on my GF's Mitsu. Did the vibrations start after the alignment, or just all of a sudden while driving? What had happened to my GF's car was she must have hit a massive pothole and damaged the inner machined lip of her aluminum 17s.

But in your case you said you had taken it in for new tires. They should have said something if they noticed a bent/badly curbed rim. Hmmmmmmm, perhaps double checking the bolts holding the caliper? How many miles on those rotors...are they the OE rotors?
Old 04-18-11, 03:27 PM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money is also on the bent rims. I don't do a whole lot of hwy driving and found out when I put my snows on two were bent (blamed the ex). It doesn't take much to make it out-of-round. Wheel bearings also make a loud noise that gains in pitch the faster you go. I would imagine at 80mph it would be deafening.
Old 04-18-11, 03:41 PM
LexusLuv11
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thing happen to my IS300. It was the wheel bearings in my case.

If that is the same case for you, make sure to take it to someone who uses the proper Lexus equipment to remove and fix it, some of the local mechanics that I had used in the past (trying to save a few bucks) did not own that equipment, and the problem kept returning. Eventually I took it into Lexus and they did the proper fix. Cost me about 170 bucks. Hopefully I wont ever have to have it re fixed again.
Old 04-18-11, 03:54 PM
moses0324
Driver

im going to bring the car to the dealership tomorrow to have a tech drive it. its making me go nuts. it vibrates excessively when i reach 80 mph. then when i let off the gas from 80 its continues. braking doesnt add to it.

i noticed it when i brought the car in for service. i think i got used to it and after driving a loaner my car felt like crap. how much do wheel bearings cost to fix?
Old 04-18-11, 05:54 PM
Stevoe88
Lead Lap

Might be your hubcentric rings being warped, that's what happened with mine.
Old 04-22-11, 03:14 PM
moses0324
Driver

whoever guessed bent rims would be correct...my rear driver side wheel is done. dealership wanted nearly 600 for one wheel. decided to use a junkyard who found me a wheel in good shape for 225. i figure if the scratches bother me ill drop 80 to 100 to have the wheels refinished and i am still on top 300.
Old 04-22-11, 07:23 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

What do I win? LOL!

Bummer about the rim, but I have a similar fate actually. I was at Discount Tire still past Tuesday and they said I had a slightly bent rear rim. They did really good on balancing it up to 70 mph...but at 75 and above you start to feel the feedback in the dead pedal and the floor board a little.

I as well will be looking for a new rear OEM 18" rim.

Originally Posted by moses0324
whoever guessed bent rims would be correct...my rear driver side wheel is done. dealership wanted nearly 600 for one wheel. decided to use a junkyard who found me a wheel in good shape for 225. i figure if the scratches bother me ill drop 80 to 100 to have the wheels refinished and i am still on top 300.
Old 04-22-11, 08:39 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

That's the same problem I have... except all my wheels are trashed from a previous owner. So, I just picked up a set of aftermarket wheels... good excuse. Good luck man!

Originally Posted by Stevoe88
Might be your hubcentric rings being warped, that's what happened with mine.
You can't run hub centric rings with stock wheels.
Old 04-22-11, 09:27 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

The braking is due to warped rotors, but the other vibration is caused by a bent rim.
Old 04-23-11, 08:53 AM
moses0324
Driver

Originally Posted by Acingteam
That's the same problem I have... except all my wheels are trashed from a previous owner. So, I just picked up a set of aftermarket wheels... good excuse. Good luck man!

You can't run hub centric rings with stock wheels.
yes hub centric rings do not exist on stock rims.
Old 04-23-11, 08:56 AM
moses0324
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
What do I win? LOL!

Bummer about the rim, but I have a similar fate actually. I was at Discount Tire still past Tuesday and they said I had a slightly bent rear rim. They did really good on balancing it up to 70 mph...but at 75 and above you start to feel the feedback in the dead pedal and the floor board a little.

I as well will be looking for a new rear OEM 18" rim.
to be honest all my rims have some sort of deformation but the tires help smooth out the imbalance. however one is so bad you can actually see the tire move with the rim. i think to some degree everyones wheels are slightly bent. no ones are perfect especially when we run such low profile tires. there is no give in such short tires. sucks but i am glad i found the problem.
Old 04-23-11, 10:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
The braking is due to warped rotors, but the other vibration is caused by a bent rim.
Rotors don't actually warp if properly installed. That's what poorly informed mechanics tell you when they don't know better. It's really uneven pad transfer.

See here for more about the warped rotor myth and what the problem really is (and how to avoid it)

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration