IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: 2006 IS250 sealed transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 03:05 PM
sicilygirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is the end that my mechanic says is difficult to align using my old tranny mount. Sigh...
Originally Posted by Texas149
oh thanks. didn't address my issue then! I'm wondering how they aligned the splines in the drive shaft since my mechanic said it's "guesswork"

what issue ? just insert the male splined shaft into the female on end of gearbox ( Transmission!). It's the UJ end that should go back in exactly the same place on the diff flange ( to negate any chance of imbalance problems)
Old 02-20-18, 03:06 PM
sicilygirl
Driver School Candidate

So this is the end that my mechanic says is difficult to align using my old tranny mount. Sigh...
Old 02-20-18, 03:21 PM
Texas149
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Difficult or impossible? If impossible do you have correct trans ( assuming you are fitting a replacement one)
are the pics #19 onwards in first post not helping?
Old 02-20-18, 03:22 PM
sicilygirl
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it's the A960E transmission compatible with mine. I will update after I get an opinion from a transmission shop tomorrow. Thanks for your ideas and comments!
Old 03-06-18, 10:58 AM
sicilygirl
Driver School Candidate

I had a transmission shop test drive it and he said it shifts fine. He said you just align it with the pins and that it's not more complicated than that. So, question answered. Thanks!
Old 07-12-18, 12:37 AM
Katman789
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by istundra
Hello,

I want to update everyone that A960E from JDM Toyota Mark X with 4GRFSE is identical to Lexus IS250!!!

The installation of this JDM transmission went smoothly and functioning normally as expected!
so there was no issue with the ECU, because i am having trouble with my is250 transmission and want to buy a used Mark X transmission
Old 07-15-18, 09:46 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Having pulled hundreds of transmissions from all makes and models I'd suggest the following.
1) After the starter is out, remove the bolts from the torque converter! Before removing the bell housing bolts.

2) The right tools: A 1/2" drive 3 and 4 FOOT long extensions for those bell housing bolts. Grab some 1/2" drive impact wobble sockets too. 3/8" drive simply twists too much and energy is lost.

3) Not absolute but a 1/2" drive impact gun w/ >500 ft/lbs of torque.

4) Don't use 12pt thin wall sockets, they break and round off fasteners.

5) Before stabbing trans back into vehicle make certain the torque converter is fully seated in the trans. Do this by supporting the center pilot hub lifting it slightly, and spin it back and forth. Sometimes it helps to jiggle the hub while spinning. There are 3 sets of splines that must engage. Each typically engages at a different time. If these are not fully engaged and you tighten the bell housing bolts you destroy the front pump and likely the converter. When you stab the trans to the engine and get TWO bolts started, and if all is well the trans will slide on the blocks dowel pins and fully seat to the block. Your first check is to MAKE CERTAIN the converter spins freely BEFORE TIGHTENING ANY BOLTS COMPLETELY!!! Now is a good time to align the converter bolts to the flex plate. Close the gap evenly using 4 opposite bolts so the converter doesn't get stuck in the cranks pilot hole.
Once mated, if the converter can not be moved with gentle persuasion, it may have slipped off the splines and need to be removed to fix it. Don't force the bell housing bolts down if the converter does not spin.

If I were installing a used trans I would absolutely dump the converters fluid before installing. Its the only chance you have to start fresh. Plus you can inspect the front seal and hub. Clean and grease them before putting the converter back. Once in, drop the pan and filter. Start fresh.

Good luck...
Old 07-19-18, 02:25 AM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Having pulled hundreds of transmissions from all makes and models I'd suggest the following.
1) After the starter is out, remove the bolts from the torque converter! Before removing the bell housing bolts.

2) The right tools: A 1/2" drive 3 and 4 FOOT long extensions for those bell housing bolts. Grab some 1/2" drive impact wobble sockets too. 3/8" drive simply twists too much and energy is lost.

3) Not absolute but a 1/2" drive impact gun w/ >500 ft/lbs of torque.

4) Don't use 12pt thin wall sockets, they break and round off fasteners.

5) Before stabbing trans back into vehicle make certain the torque converter is fully seated in the trans. Do this by supporting the center pilot hub lifting it slightly, and spin it back and forth. Sometimes it helps to jiggle the hub while spinning. There are 3 sets of splines that must engage. Each typically engages at a different time. If these are not fully engaged and you tighten the bell housing bolts you destroy the front pump and likely the converter. When you stab the trans to the engine and get TWO bolts started, and if all is well the trans will slide on the blocks dowel pins and fully seat to the block. Your first check is to MAKE CERTAIN the converter spins freely BEFORE TIGHTENING ANY BOLTS COMPLETELY!!! Now is a good time to align the converter bolts to the flex plate. Close the gap evenly using 4 opposite bolts so the converter doesn't get stuck in the cranks pilot hole.
Once mated, if the converter can not be moved with gentle persuasion, it may have slipped off the splines and need to be removed to fix it. Don't force the bell housing bolts down if the converter does not spin.

If I were installing a used trans I would absolutely dump the converters fluid before installing. Its the only chance you have to start fresh. Plus you can inspect the front seal and hub. Clean and grease them before putting the converter back. Once in, drop the pan and filter. Start fresh.

Good luck...
Well said.

For this job, I used mostly 1/2" for everything. I only used 3/8" for the manifold bolts or other items where a 1/2" won't fit. You NEED a good set of impact sockets (if you have a impact gun), a LOT of impact spec extensions, and MUST get a set of 1/2 in. Drive Metric Impact Swivel Socket Set. Do NOT use a 12pt sockets (not to be confused with 12mm size) as mention above. Just...don't. 12pt is probably okay for low torque spec bolts. Make sure that the socket is sitting square on the bolt head before zipping it off, otherwise you will round off the bolt or seriously compromising the head.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-Pc-1...Set-67911.html

You will know if the torque converter is not seated all the way. There's three 'clunks' you'll feel when you are seating the torque converter. If you are unable to spin the torque converter when you got the transmission mated to the engine (use the small starter hole to 'finger tip grab the TC), you may had not seated the TC all the way down. You should be able to rotate the TC so you can match the holes with the flexplate to install your TC bolts. INSTALL the black/dark gray bolt FIRST. This is the alignment bolt. Then proceed to install the rest of the bolts and torque to spec while using another socket/breaker bar to hold down the crank. I used a little of blue locktight...FSM doesn't specify to do so though.

Last edited by Kingdom934; 07-19-18 at 02:36 AM.