IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12 | 11:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ohiois350
what a great video Joe but look like you have a hard time to just remove the metal shield, I took like 30sec to remove that shield, but anyway thanks for you help, so I got my headlights installed the only thing I don't like it too bright for me at night maybe I would find some solution like above wire diagram to see if it work, but 100% bright at night too much for me
LoL.... Yeah it did..

That shield was previously removed and reinstalled... Maybe I put it back on too tight a couple of years ago...

I could have edited the video, but I just wanted to show the "real" video.

The 100% versus 50% doesn't bother me....

Joe Z
Old 02-04-12 | 11:30 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I don't think pictures are going to help you......

Here's something better..!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txVEXAiHjk

Raw & Real time video sent from my iPad.

If you don't get it apart after this, I don't want to know about it...

Joe Z
thank you santa
Old 02-04-12 | 11:33 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
thank you santa
LoL...

Your just lucky that I had an extra ballast laying around...

... And that I don't charge for DIY Videos.. j/k

Your Welcome

~ Joe Z
Old 02-05-12 | 09:05 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Horray for Joe!
I've been trying to help our guys thru it but without pictures let alone a video clip it's really hard for them to visualize it or figure it out, now definitely they'll be able to do it without a doubt.
Old 02-05-12 | 10:11 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Sorry for taking space in this thread to talk about this constantly it seems, but it seems like the best place for it. I hope someone uses some of my work and enjoys it!

So, while searching for a place to get ignition power in the engine bay, I had one final realization about how easy it actually is to have a power source while the engine is running. If you use the power source off of Pin 8 from the integration relay (circuit opening relay switched +12V), you can get one step closer to correct:

Verbose functionality listing with this wiring:

Engine Off, Headlight Switch Off: All Off
Engine Off, Headlight Switch Flash: LED's at 50%, Low Beams + High Beams On
Engine Off, Headlight Switch 1 Click: LED's at 50%, Markers On
Engine Off, Headlight Switch 2 Clicks: LED's at 50%, Markers On, Low Beams On
Engine Off, Headlight Switch 2 Clicks, Pushed Forward: LED's at 50%, Markers On, Low Beams + High Beams On
Engine Off, Headlight Switch 3 Clicks: All Off

Engine Running, Headlight Switch Off: LED's at 100%, All Others Off
Engine Running, Headlight Switch Flash: LED's at 50%, Low Beams + High Beams On
Engine Running, Headlight Switch 1 Click: LED's at 100%, Markers On
Engine Running, Headlight Switch 2 Clicks: LED's at 50%, Markers On, Low Beams On
Engine Running, Headlight Switch 2 Clicks, Pushed Forward: LED's at 50%, Markers On, Low Beams + High Beams On
Engine Running, Headlight Switch 3 Clicks, Daylight: LED's at 100%, All Others Off
Engine Running, Headlight Switch 3 Clicks, Dark: LED's at 50%, Markers On, Low Beams On
Engine Running, Headlight Switch 3 Clicks, Dark, Pushed Forward: LED's at 50%, Markers On, Low Beams + High Beams On

Planning on using 90987-04004 5-pin Toyota/Lexus micro-relays and either two 1N5817 diodes, or a single MBR2545CT rectifying diode.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-05-12 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-05-12 | 08:10 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by my07is350
Vroomin350
If you buy the Sewell ones, there is absolutely no wire splicing involved since they did it for you already, completely plug and play. All you have to do is transfer the ballasts and hid bulbs from the existing headlights over (that has been talked in long in several threads) simple as that. You'll love it, trust me.
I am confused I thought that was all that is needed but apparently it doesn't come with the dust covers, the relay for the fast blinking turnsignals, and apparently something else needed for "three wires" that my buddy was telling me.

I'm very sad that I gotta buy all this other crap now
Old 02-05-12 | 08:30 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I dont think so... To my knowledge, the LED strip will turn on when the Parking Lights are turned ON...
(not sure's if they have ot at 50% or 100%)

Again you were answered clearly here:

~ Joe Z
Wow and the news gets worse.... So now my taillights parking lights will be on everytime I want the headlights LED's to be on??? Fawk, I am tempted to sell my sewell headlights I just bought
Old 02-05-12 | 08:33 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Not if you wire it up like I drew. Haha.

Jeff
Old 02-05-12 | 08:35 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Nice penmanship Jeff!!
---------
Originally Posted by CCJ22
Wow and the news gets worse.... So now my taillights parking lights will be on everytime I want the headlights LED's to be on??? Fawk, I am tempted to sell my sewell headlights I just bought
Wouldn't auto mode be ok then?

Last edited by Sango; 02-05-12 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-05-12 | 08:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Not if you wire it up like I drew. Haha.

Jeff
the wire diagram look good, but have anyone has done it yet? sorry i am not good as reading the wire diagram, hope someone have actual pics or video clip shown how to wire, it would be easy to do
Old 02-05-12 | 09:23 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I am confused I thought that was all that is needed but apparently it doesn't come with the dust covers, the relay for the fast blinking turnsignals, and apparently something else needed for "three wires" that my buddy was telling me.

I'm very sad that I gotta buy all this other crap now
My mistake, found all the dust caps and everything else in a seperate place inside the sewell box. All is well.
Old 02-05-12 | 10:46 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by ohiois350
the wire diagram look good, but have anyone has done it yet? sorry i am not good as reading the wire diagram, hope someone have actual pics or video clip shown how to wire, it would be easy to do
I'll likely be testing it sometime in the next week or so, and I'll try to take some pics, but really it would be best if you can't do it to have someone else do it. There is a potential to blow fuses, etc. if you wire it up wrong.

Jeff
Old 02-06-12 | 06:16 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

I'll likely be testing it sometime in the next week or so, and I'll try to take some pics, but really it would be best if you can't do it to have someone else do it. There is a potential to blow fuses, etc. if you wire it up wrong.

Jeff
I am Ok with wiring thing, but look at the diagram that you draw, it is a little complicated? that would be better with actual pics hope you would success with that replay wire thing and share with CL member here
Old 02-06-12 | 04:00 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for taking space in this thread to talk about this constantly it seems, but it seems like the best place for it. I hope someone uses some of my work and enjoys it!

So, while searching for a place to get ignition power in the engine bay, I had one final realization about how easy it actually is to have a power source while the engine is running. If you use the power source off of Pin 8 from the integration relay (circuit opening relay switched +12V), you can get one step closer to correct:

(Deleated diagram and functionality to save space)
Jeff
Jeff--- Nice diagram. Similar to what I had been pondering in my head, just hadn't gotten far enough to secure a power source nor was I thinking about two relays. Not that I think it matters, but I usually see pin 85 of the relay as the ground and 86 as the switch power, but I think it works either way as electricity will flow no matter what. Question though... With two relays don't you have a conflict. With input from Pin 8 you have power when the engine is running triggering the 100% daytime running lamps and with the second relay triggered by the lowbeams and/or markers you would then be sending power for the 50% LED at the same time. How does it know to override the 100% DRLs? Am I missing something in my haste? This is why I was only thinking about triggering the 100% DRL and leaving it at that.

Andy
Old 02-06-12 | 04:24 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Relay solenoid coils are non-polarized, there's no need to observe polarity, though if you wanted to you could.

Both relays are normally closed, so with the way they're wired up, power is never applied to both terminals on the LED. When the ignition power is on, it's supplying power to the 100% terminal on the LED, as well as power to the 50% control relay, turning off any power to the 50% terminal. If the low beams come on at that point, it energizes the 100% control relay, which removes the power from the ignition, causing the 50% relay to de-energize, once again allowing power to the 50% terminal on the LED.

I think what you were missing is that the second relay is being triggered by power from the first, to remove power from the low/markers, and not triggered by the low/markers.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip