IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Staggered wheels on is250? Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 07:55 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Staggered wheels on is250? Questions!

I am looking to purchase an IS however I cannot find any is350's around. I keep seeing 250's and wanted to know if the AWD system allows you the ability to run a staggard wheel setup? I know the suspenion and brakes are different between the two. I wanted to know before hand so I purchased the correct platform. If so, can anyone posts 250's with some wider wheel options?

My plans are to keep it simple. Just some 19x9.5's in the front/19x10.5's in the rear, nice coilovers, tint, and maybe a subtle lip kit. I would like to drive this car everyday. I already have a full blown show/race car so I just want something that is nice and comfortable. The IS is definitely one of my favorites so it looks like it will be my choice.
Old 04-18-11, 07:59 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

you CAN run staggard wheels on the AWD but I mean whats the point? staggard wheels are for RWD cars but yes you can do it and probably not notice very much of a difference. Which you might know since you have a full blown race car.

use the search button on the fourm and look up aggresive wheels under the 2IS fourms. The biggest difference between the is250 and the is350 is the engine. Brakes and suspension can be adjusted and if your doing coilovers anyways then the suspension difference does not matter.
Old 04-18-11, 08:05 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Originally Posted by robertrios
you CAN run staggard wheels on the AWD but I mean whats the point? staggard wheels are for RWD cars but yes you can do it and probably not notice very much of a difference. Which you might know since you have a full blown race car.

use the search button on the fourm and look up aggresive wheels under the 2IS fourms. The biggest difference between the is250 and the is350 is the engine. Brakes and suspension can be adjusted and if your doing coilovers anyways then the suspension difference does not matter.
My biggest concern with this car will not be performance, obviously. I just want something to daily. Staggard wheels would obviously be for looks, as that's what mostly 99% of modding is about these days. haha I just wanted a fitted luxury car to drive everyday. I know on a subaru you cannot run wider wheels in the rear as opposed to the fronts because of how the diffs are setup, reason being why I made this thread.

Aren't both the 250's/350's 6cyl? If it makes such a big deal, I will just search harder for a 350. I could care less about the awd, it's just easier to find them!

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-18-11, 08:10 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go, bro.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-part-uno.html

I'm running a staggered setup right now. 19x8 35mm 19x8.5 35mm offset with 235/35/19's all around. No problems so far.
Old 04-18-11, 08:12 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

both v6 250 a 2.5 liter and 350 is a 3.5 liter...big difference in HP and torque. I guess AWD would be easier to find up there, here its the opposite ive never seen the AWD at a dealer but we dont really have a need for it since it does not snow.

So in all actuality if you want a daily driver get the AWD due to snow conditions it might be better unless your in an area that does not get bad or you have a car for winter then i suggest a 350 RWD.
Old 04-18-11, 08:29 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

If I were you though, I would just get a RWD IS250 and buy a set of snow tires. That way, you wont' have to worry about POTENTIAL problems with running a staggered setup or lowering an AWD. This is the route I would have taken but, I didn't know any better during my pre-club lexus days...
Old 04-19-11, 08:04 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no problems with running staggered on AWD. Get the appropriate tire sizes and you will be str8. Also the suspension from the 250 and the 350 are the same..It depends on the package of the car.
Old 04-19-11, 12:28 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Thanks for the info! Can I fit a 19x8.5-9.5 +22 Front and 19x10.5 +22 on the AWD is250? If not, I will get the is350. I don't want to get too crazy, but I do want atleast 10.5's and a good stance. I just love the way the lexus's look and the paint is incredible! I used the IS-F paint code for my base color on my WRX. I added some purple pearl and dark aluminum flake.

The reason I can't get crazy with the Lexus. haha

Thanks for all your help thus far!
Old 04-19-11, 12:49 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

AWD and RWD chasis are the same so what you can fit on one can fit on the other it dont matter. Using the rite size tires will, rolling and pulling the fenders. Depending on the drop. If you dont need the HP since you got a suby then AWD for year round will work wonders.
Old 04-19-11, 01:19 PM
Dimitri
Driver

I don't want to run the same tire size, though. I was thinking 255 or 265 rear and 225 or 235 front. I can't decide if I want a mild or pretty decent streetch.

How do the stance coilovers ride on the IS? They sponsor my subaru and I have their AL+ aluminum body ones on my car and it rides good. I am most likely going to swap out to JRZ's this season though since I can use aftermarket rear camber plates to fit my big wheels.
Old 04-19-11, 01:48 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Dimitri, I have a bugeye too, not as insane as yours tho. It's two tone black and silver with the aggressive TE's you might of seen it. Anyways get the Is350 man, i think you'll be disappointed with the 250, comng from such a powerful car.
Old 04-19-11, 01:52 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Originally Posted by sick
Hey Dimitri, I have a bugeye too, not as insane as yours tho. It's two tone black and silver with the aggressive TE's you might of seen it. Anyways get the Is350 man, i think you'll be disappointed with the 250, comng from such a powerful car.
Of course I know your car!! I am the one that voted for you in top scoob bugeye contest. I love your car!

You don't remember saying that if I enter you would back out? lol

I don't need anything fast. I just want this car to cruise to work and school. I just can't find any good 350's with low miles in the colors I want.
Old 04-19-11, 02:02 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Haha i do remeber saying that. Good luck with whatever you decide. I cant wait to see what you do with this car, knowing the way you mod.
Old 04-19-11, 02:17 PM
Dimitri
Driver

haha thanks! I was thinkin something like this.

or if I go black:

Old 04-19-11, 02:33 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Stance GR+ ride nice on the IS but if you get AWD you only have few choice either springs, BCR or Megan coilovers.

Quick Reply: Staggered wheels on is250? Questions!