IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about programming TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 06:44 AM
sgolko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms

I've been talking with my Lexus dealer about getting winter tires/rims for both my '09 RX and '11 IS. They tell me that the RX is no problem, it can be programmed with 2 sets of TPMS's so I can just swap out the tires at home by myself (after the new set of sensors are initially set up). However, they tell me that the IS only holds one set of sensors at a time, so every 6 months I will need to bring the car in and have them re-set the car to communicate with the summer/winter sensors.
This seems very strange to me, why would the newer vehicle have less memory for sensors? Can anyone chime in about this, confirm or deny what the dealer told me?

If It does only hold one set of sensors, are there any major downsides of running without sensors for the winter, other then the obvious of having the light on for 6+ months of the year?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-11, 08:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sgolko
I've been talking with my Lexus dealer about getting winter tires/rims for both my '09 RX and '11 IS. They tell me that the RX is no problem, it can be programmed with 2 sets of TPMS's so I can just swap out the tires at home by myself (after the new set of sensors are initially set up). However, they tell me that the IS only holds one set of sensors at a time, so every 6 months I will need to bring the car in and have them re-set the car to communicate with the summer/winter sensors.
This seems very strange to me, why would the newer vehicle have less memory for sensors? Can anyone chime in about this, confirm or deny what the dealer told me?
They are wrong. It holds two sets. You can check this yourself by using the multi-switch... the thing that looks like <0> where you can change between the main and second set at will.
Old 05-02-11, 08:23 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Indeed, I have 2 sets programmed, the 2IS has always been able to hold 2 sets.

Jeff
Old 05-02-11, 10:14 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Yea it holds two sets, I just had it done last week for my summer/winter set up.
Old 12-20-11, 01:26 PM
williamf
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 Dual TPMS Help

Hi, I have a 2007 IS 250 AWD. I took it into CanadianTire (I live in Ontario) to install TPMS on snow tires. As I was paying, they told me they had to erase the original TPMS code inorder to put in the new one for the snow tires. They "thought" the system might be self learning when I change back to the original tores in spring.

Anyone have an idea now what happens when I change back to my original tires with the original TPMS ? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 12-20-11, 09:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by williamf
Hi, I have a 2007 IS 250 AWD. I took it into CanadianTire (I live in Ontario) to install TPMS on snow tires. As I was paying, they told me they had to erase the original TPMS code inorder to put in the new one for the snow tires. They "thought" the system might be self learning when I change back to the original tores in spring.

Anyone have an idea now what happens when I change back to my original tires with the original TPMS ? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
The 2IS can hold 2 sets of sensors at the same time.

If they didn't know what they were doing (which sounds likely) they might have over-written your other set, rather than adding a second set. In which case if the other set doesn't work anymore I'd bring it back and make em program them for free, and correctly this time.
Old 12-22-11, 08:25 AM
williamf
Driver School Candidate

Yup.. I know that.. they apparently don't. I'll be back in Spring and bring that up w/them... very gently offcourse. Since they erased the 1st set, then they did not record those numbers down which means I'll have to 'gently" remind them..... sigh
Old 02-15-12, 10:21 AM
morfhious3
Rookie

how much usually they charge to program another set of tpms?im in pa and my lexus dealer is charging me$250.aint that too expensive?
Old 02-15-12, 11:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morfhious3
how much usually they charge to program another set of tpms?im in pa and my lexus dealer is charging me$250.aint that too expensive?
Assuming you know the codes on the new sensors that's a lot too much.

Now, if you didn't write em down and they're using old hardware, they'd have to dismount the tires, read the codes, and remount, so I can see em overcharging you.

Check with local tire shops, should be 1/2-1 hour of labor, so 35-70 bucks most places.
Old 07-13-12, 02:40 PM
08lexus350
Driver

i have a question i bought a is350 and have no tpms sensors, I'm about to buy some from ebay and will take it to the dealership for reprogramming it to my car, my question is that do i need 4 sensors or 5 sensors, to get my tpms light to go off.
Old 07-14-12, 10:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
i have a question i bought a is350 and have no tpms sensors, I'm about to buy some from ebay and will take it to the dealership for reprogramming it to my car, my question is that do i need 4 sensors or 5 sensors, to get my tpms light to go off.
given your car runs on 4 wheels, not 5, you need 4 sensors
Old 07-14-12, 10:13 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Just remember not all tire shop carry the same scanner programmer. If they didn't shell out for an expensive one that can program mulitiple tpms. Then there right to only be able to over ride your main one as it's a cheap scanner.
Old 07-14-12, 10:48 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
given your car runs on 4 wheels, not 5, you need 4 sensors
Some cars have a sensor on the spare, so for those you'd need 5. Still, the IS isn't one of those cars, lol.

Jeff
Old 12-07-12, 01:33 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a second set of tpms and went to program them onto the secondary but it wouldn't read. Before they scanned the sensors I set it on secondary and America tire couldn't get it to work. After we switched it back to main then it worked. So new sensors is on main now. I guess only lexus/Toyota can set your tpms if you run two sets
Old 12-07-12, 08:09 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Was anyone able to successfully program the TPMS with the mini vci cable?
The following users liked this post:
SENSAY813 (11-05-22)

Quick Reply: Question about programming TPMS sensors