IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership are liars

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 07:00 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Just DYI since its a $12x6 plugs=68 Labor free just take about an hr and save you time and money. $150 for a brake flush dame i bought that bottle from them for $10 and did it myself in 20min.

Last edited by laobo979; 04-22-11 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 07:44 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm confused.
Old 04-22-11, 07:51 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 407 Posts

It sounds to me like they quoted you $250 to do the spark plugs while they had other parts taken off to do the recall, you declined. Then you went back to get something else done and asked them to do the spark plugs, they checked the computer, saw they quoted you $250 last time, and you said to go ahead and do it. Then you left and they realized that the price quoted was too low and tried to give you a call to confirm the correct price, but did not get a hold of you.

At that point, they should have either not done the work until they got approval from you for the increased charges, or they should have honoured the original quote. I would not have paid the larger bill upon picking up the car. They quoted a price and they should have stuck to it or waited for your go ahead on the higher price.

If I am correct, it sounds like you got the short end of the stick, I would not have accepted that.

Jeff
Old 04-22-11, 09:19 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

this is kinda messed up
Old 04-23-11, 04:38 AM
willi3ja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
It sounds to me like they quoted you $250 to do the spark plugs while they had other parts taken off to do the recall, you declined. Then you went back to get something else done and asked them to do the spark plugs, they checked the computer, saw they quoted you $250 last time, and you said to go ahead and do it. Then you left and they realized that the price quoted was too low and tried to give you a call to confirm the correct price, but did not get a hold of you.

At that point, they should have either not done the work until they got approval from you for the increased charges, or they should have honoured the original quote. I would not have paid the larger bill upon picking up the car. They quoted a price and they should have stuck to it or waited for your go ahead on the higher price.

If I am correct, it sounds like you got the short end of the stick, I would not have accepted that.

Jeff
It sounds like in post 12 he said they didn't do the extra work because it was more expensive than what he was quoted and they never heard back from him to approve it. But I may be misreading it, as this whole thread is thoroughly confusing.
Old 04-23-11, 10:41 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 407 Posts

You are correct. It looks like they didn't do it because the price was going to be higher than was quoted to do it when the recall work was being done.

It sucks, but that's how it goes.

Jeff
Old 04-23-11, 12:10 PM
moses0324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0723
sjgIS350 you just dont get it do you? i know labor costs. my issue is the guy told me at his desk when i arrived it will be $250. im mad because 4 hours later he wants to change the price on me. if he told me at his desk it was $468 i would of just went home and had my day to my self.

as3 i went to Hoffman Lexus in east hartford.
i am surprised you are having trouble at hoffmans in east hartford. they have been superb in all my experiences.
Old 04-23-11, 01:05 PM
HERBos
Lead Lap

dont go back..
Old 04-23-11, 01:37 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

dealers are liars. customers are liars. it goes both ways.
Old 04-23-11, 04:55 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
I think sjg has the situation mistaken and thats understandable.
I can see where the confusion might occur but sjg, there was no extra trip for the plugs, they had told him they would do it the same day they were doing the brakes @$250, waited till he left the dealership and called to inform of a different price.

Some shady dealerships actually use that as a tactic, a lot of people out there who dont read through forums like us and dont know their exhaust from their intake... and guess what.. those same people get screwed by service advisors who make them believe their car will blow up if the service doesnt get done.
my dealership in cali.. will do the spark plugs for free if u have to get the valve spring recall done.
Old 04-23-11, 06:03 PM
willi3ja
Rookie

So to sum this up:
They quoted you $250 to do it while they were doing the valve spring recall but you didn't do it then.
You go back and he accidentally quotes your that price again incorrectly. He calls you to give an updated quote since it is higher than he originally said and he wanted to verify with you before he did the work and you got billed more than anticipated. You didn't return the call/voicemail and then were mad when you went to pick the car up and it wasn't done?
Would you really rather them proceed with any work that is higher than what you're quoted without them contacting you first?
Old 04-23-11, 06:12 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they would have told you one price of $250 and then did the work and charged you $468 then that would be a rip-off.

However if they told you $250 and then realized they misquoted you the actual normal charge, then they did the right thing by not doing the work. If you are the only person in the world that has never made a mistake then you surely have room for calling them liars.

They probably should give you a free oil change for the inconvenience but if that kind of thing still won't make you happy, then you are probably the kind of customer no dealership wants to deal with on a regular basis.
Old 04-23-11, 07:33 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Change your own plugs

2. Brake cleaning ? really? ha. scam.

3. DIY on almost everything.
Old 04-23-11, 09:25 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OooooOoooooOOoo.........I get it!!
Old 04-26-11, 07:15 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
If they would have told you one price of $250 and then did the work and charged you $468 then that would be a rip-off.

However if they told you $250 and then realized they misquoted you the actual normal charge, then they did the right thing by not doing the work. If you are the only person in the world that has never made a mistake then you surely have room for calling them liars.

They probably should give you a free oil change for the inconvenience but if that kind of thing still won't make you happy, then you are probably the kind of customer no dealership wants to deal with on a regular basis.
They basically wasted his time by not doing everything they agreed to do. There's no guarantee that they will get a hold of him to correct their misquote (he could've been in an important business meeting or lost his phone). If they were unable to reach him, they should've bit the bullet and honored their original quote. Leaving a voicemail isn't exactly getting in touch with someone... hence something like this could happen.

Quick Reply: Dealership are liars