IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 09:25 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I decided to clear the grill for protection, and so it picks up light a bit. I ended using a cheap clear from NAPA, but I'm happy with the results!
Looks great!! What exactly did you use and how many coats?
Old 01-24-12, 10:16 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Give me the ebay link!
Old 01-24-12, 10:22 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2slixx
Give me the ebay link!
^^ I believe Option Racing is now a CL vendor and offers much better pricing to forum members. Here's a link to one of their sale threads. Hope it helps!
Old 01-25-12, 02:56 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2slixx
Give me the ebay link!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS250-...item27c126a2d8

I believe this is the best price on ebay. I bought mine from this seller.

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
^^ I believe Option Racing is now a CL vendor and offers much better pricing to forum members. Here's a link to one of their sale threads. Hope it helps!
I got a quote for $100 shipped when i asked them a while back. Ebay has it for $85 shipped
Old 01-30-12, 04:26 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Thanks for the link...just purchased the grill. I hope it comes soon as I am getting my front bumper resprayed and will have them paint the grill to match...hope it looks good!!!
Old 01-31-12, 02:09 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
Looks great!! What exactly did you use and how many coats?
I used the same stuff as the spray paint. Dupli color Perfect Match clear coat. Did 2 coats on the back, and 3 on the front. It darkens the gunmetal color up a bit. It's not too glossy either, which I like.
Old 01-31-12, 02:16 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by istarzan
^Looks good. What color base coat did you use?
Dupli Color perfect match. The same paint posted by Lexitegra on page 4. It's a honda color, I believe it's called graphite grey. It is a nice dark gunmetal. While I was at Napa buying the clear they had a Toyota dupli color that I wish I would have seen when I first painted the grill, it's a slightly lighter gunmetal with a tint of bronze in it which was a closer match to my factory grill.
Old 02-09-12, 03:16 PM
and8376
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up the grille last week and got the dupli color and clear coat today... Was wondering though, reading through the thread, it didnt sound like you guys used any primer before hand.. is that correct? just wash, sand, wash, apply around 3 layers of paint and clear coat it, and presto?

Thanks. I'm hoping mine comes out as clean as yours!
Old 02-10-12, 09:19 AM
thebossac
Driver

too bad they don't fit my 2010.

how come no one make this for 09-10?
Old 02-10-12, 12:49 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by and8376
I just picked up the grille last week and got the dupli color and clear coat today... Was wondering though, reading through the thread, it didnt sound like you guys used any primer before hand.. is that correct? just wash, sand, wash, apply around 3 layers of paint and clear coat it, and presto?

Thanks. I'm hoping mine comes out as clean as yours!
I used primer on mine, but after doing further research it appears to be unnecessary. Also, after getting my first rock chip, the light gray of the primer stands out. If I would have not used any primer the rock chip would be not so easy to see.
Old 02-19-12, 05:05 PM
and8376
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone sand/wet sand prior to applying their clear coat?
Old 03-22-12, 04:14 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for dragging this back up, but I came across THIS one on ebay, and was wondering if anyone got the chrome one. I know it's not from Option Racing, but I'm going with the chrome and black look, just don't want to overdo it.

Originally Posted by thebossac
too bad they don't fit my 2010.

how come no one make this for 09-10?
They do, you can purchase it from Sewell as a OEM part HERE
Old 03-22-12, 04:50 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
Sorry for dragging this back up, but I came across THIS one on ebay, and was wondering if anyone got the chrome one. I know it's not from Option Racing, but I'm going with the chrome and black look, just don't want to overdo it.

They do, you can purchase it from Sewell as a OEM part HERE
Not a big fan of it. I saw one of these the other day and it made the IS look like a drug dealer's pimped out Chrysler 300 (with those tacky aftermarket chrome grills). But, if you like, that's all that matters and get it.
Old 03-22-12, 05:36 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NimaM
Not a big fan of it. I saw one of these the other day and it made the IS look like a drug dealer's pimped out Chrysler 300 (with those tacky aftermarket chrome grills). But, if you like, that's all that matters and get it.
Hahaha ya that's really the look I'm trying to avoid! My other car already looks "drug dealer enough" hahaha, thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-22-12, 06:12 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rcJten
Dupli Color perfect match. The same paint posted by Lexitegra on page 4. It's a honda color, I believe it's called graphite grey. It is a nice dark gunmetal. While I was at Napa buying the clear they had a Toyota dupli color that I wish I would have seen when I first painted the grill, it's a slightly lighter gunmetal with a tint of bronze in it which was a closer match to my factory grill.
You don't happen to remember the name of the Toyota paint you saw, do you? I've got a week off after finals and plan on respraying the 'ol grille.

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
Err, yeah sorry, also not a fan. The chrome kind of conflicts with the style of the grille. It's also kinda pricey at $173 for a non oem product!

Quick Reply: IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!