IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Grey driver's seat staining/discoloration...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 05:59 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grey driver's seat staining/discoloration...

I have a 2009 IS 350 with grey perforated leather. I have had the car 2.5 years and only driven 9500 miles. I keep the car immaculate. The car is garaged almost all the time. Today I noticed the driver's seat has blue staining/discoloration where the lower back is supported. The bottom cushion is fine. The stain looks like it is from blue jeans which I wear often. I used Lexol cleaner and conditioner and the blue remained. The rest of the interior is perfect.

Would this be covered under warranty?
Old 04-30-11, 06:48 PM
WeisISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt it sounds like its something on you and not a factory defect
Old 04-30-11, 06:56 PM
Salduchi
Driver

I have the same interior and implicitly knew this would be an issue, so I immediately covered the front seats upon purchase. If you can prove that its a defect it would be covered.
Old 04-30-11, 07:12 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Not covered lexus uses cheap leather and on the grey leather your jean colors rub off on it. Its just the way it is weather you drive it alot or not.
Old 04-30-11, 08:19 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

It's the designer jeans that do that. I have tan interior and dont have that problem and all I wear to work are jeans.

Talk to the GM at the dealership they might help you

I wear Levi's, Calvin and Kirkland jeans.
Old 04-30-11, 08:24 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's the dye on your jeans rubbing off. They won't do anything for you. A Detailer may have an answer for you.
Old 04-30-11, 10:28 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

you can always have the leather re-dyed. I had it done and now it looks good as new. the previous owner of my baby used tan in a bottle! terrible for grey leather. Cost me about $100 bucks and you could not tell teh difference. even got the light surface cracks out.
Old 04-30-11, 11:00 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Try a Mr Clean magic earaser. I had this happen on my 09 and had the seat cover replaced. PM me and I can give you details.

-PJ
Old 04-30-11, 11:51 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^don't EVER use a magic eraser on your car's leather. that stuff is abrasive and will rub off the protective coat on your leather. it will take out the stain, but your leather will dry out easier, will stain easier again, will probably lose it's colour.

get some leather masters or leatherique.
Old 05-01-11, 01:03 AM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

def wont be covered lol.
esp its from your own jeans..
shoulda got black interior haha :P
Old 05-01-11, 07:36 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

pjjames1

How much was a new seat cover? Did a dealer do the work?

Thanks
Old 05-02-11, 08:22 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Jetfire...I have used it for YEARS on leather and never had a problem. I always recondition the leather of my cars regularly. Magic eraser is gods gift to the neat freaks of the car world. It's fine...trust me.

I didn't pay for the seat. I fought and fought with the dealer to do the swap and give me a new one and they finally did because they recognized it was an actual malfunction in the seat cover. They outsourced the work to someone but it was a good as new. I would try as hard as you can to get this done. It's obviously a issue if dealers are willing to take a $1k+ hit to make it right. According to my dealer it wasn't the first time they'd seen it and probably the same goes for yours I would guess.
Old 05-02-11, 08:28 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i had this same exact problem and since it was under warranty my dealership has redyed it twice now for me. they also said something about jeans but i hardly ever wear them and knew that wasn't the case. crappy dye job from the factory i am guessing. you can also still see it a bit coming through but it's better than it was. good luck!
Old 05-02-11, 08:29 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lesson number 531: Wash your new jeans several times in hot water before wearing.

That being said, I also have an 09 with the light grey leather. 21k miles and no issues.
Old 05-02-11, 08:44 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pjjames1
Jetfire...I have used it for YEARS on leather and never had a problem. I always recondition the leather of my cars regularly. Magic eraser is gods gift to the neat freaks of the car world. It's fine...trust me.

I didn't pay for the seat. I fought and fought with the dealer to do the swap and give me a new one and they finally did because they recognized it was an actual malfunction in the seat cover. They outsourced the work to someone but it was a good as new. I would try as hard as you can to get this done. It's obviously a issue if dealers are willing to take a $1k+ hit to make it right. According to my dealer it wasn't the first time they'd seen it and probably the same goes for yours I would guess.

Magic Eraser is one of the worst product's to use on any leather. We have coated leather in the 2IS, and it can be clean without using abrasives. Light color leather seats show color transfers more then black leather.

I recommend Leather Master's cleaners or Leatherique. Check out the detailing forums for more info.

Quick Reply: Grey driver's seat staining/discoloration...