Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 08:48 AM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do TSB's asap LOL

Bought the car at the end of 08', 35k miles
warranty expires half year later and no issues from the car at that moment

Now just passed 45k mile, tsb problems appeared and the cost of fixing it is an arm and a leg
got quoted
Squeaky seat, $225
Rear view mirror rattle, $1,100
(found this out too late... i rarely fully open the moonroof)

So I guess I'll boost up the music louder, trying to ignore the squeaky seat lol
life has more important things that i could use that money instead on this

For a reminder, do tsb's as soon as possible.....
Old 05-04-11, 09:08 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

that sucks....
Old 05-04-11, 09:12 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

squeak seats can be fixed if you know what bolts are loose. i had the same problem and my warranty just expired, so i did some research and found the bolt that was loose, tighten them with a little extra torque and no more squeak.
Old 05-04-11, 09:23 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

i smell lots of $$$ after warranty...
Old 05-04-11, 09:34 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

is the rattling from the mirror coming from the mounting coming loose or the actual mirror rattling against the housing?
If it's the mount, you can buy a rearview window mount kit from autozone for a few bucks
and remount it yourself. Just be careful not force off the original mount so you don't crack your windshield. A hot hair dryer form the outside may help soften the adhesive
Old 05-04-11, 09:40 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

I recall reading in a few of the TSB's that they extend to something like 60 or 70k. I imagine you've already thoroughly checked this...sorry to hear about your situation. Good Luck.
Old 05-04-11, 10:23 AM
Numbahz
Driver

Anyone know if the lexus extended platitum warranty I purchased could convince them to fix some TSB issues? I'm @ almost 70k now.. I need my mirror replaced mostly because of the pattern burn in on it very very annoying and upsets me. I heard it depends on how cooperative the dealership is with you if its past the orginal 4/50k.
Old 05-04-11, 11:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Numbahz
Anyone know if the lexus extended platitum warranty I purchased could convince them to fix some TSB issues? I'm @ almost 70k now.. I need my mirror replaced mostly because of the pattern burn in on it very very annoying and upsets me. I heard it depends on how cooperative the dealership is with you if its past the orginal 4/50k.
If you have the Platinum VSA, getting that mirror replaced under warranty should be no problem. The Platinum VSA is very comprehensive and covers most everything the factory warranty does with some key exceptions, most notably trim pieces and noises/squeaks/rattles. For example, the dash rattle TSIB is covered by the factory warranty but NOT by the CPO or VSA warranties because it's related to a trim piece and is a noise/squeak/rattle. If your mirror needed to be replaced because it was rattling, they may not have warrantied it under the VSA. However if it's exhibiting pattern burn, that's a part failure and should be fixed under warranty. It's also a safety issue, as it obscures your rearview vision.

Take it into your dealer and have them warranty the mirror under the VSA. If you encounter problems, take it to another dealer. I wouldn't anticipate this being something you'd have to fight on.
Old 05-04-11, 12:02 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

That was going to be my question, are tsib's covered under warranty? My mirror is annoying!!
Old 05-04-11, 12:02 PM
calvin2376
Racer

OP - since you're just very recently out of warranty, did you try talking to your dealer and possibly other dealers? I've read quite a few stories of people here on CL who have had common 2IS issues arise just when they're out of warranty and their dealers agreed (or were talked into) to do the repairs free anyway. I think the best argument you can make it that you can say these issues arose while you were still under the warranty, ie. you started noticing the problems before the 40k mile mark. It's of course no guarantee, but it might be worth making the argument to your dealer and if they say no, try the next dealer.
Old 05-04-11, 12:07 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by MiiK350
That was going to be my question, are tsib's covered under warranty? My mirror is annoying!!
There aren't hard and fast rules saying for example "all TSIBs are covered by this warranty", etc. It's case-by-case and depends on what the TSIB is fixing and what the warranty covers (or doesn't).

I believe all TSIBs are covered by the factory warranty. I subscribed to TIS and downloaded every TSIB for my 2007 IS350 and every one I've seen is expressly covered by the factory warranty. However this is not the case for the CPO or VSA warranties; it's TSIB-specific. It all has to do with what the TSIB is for. If it's to fix a squeak or rattle, like the seat squeak or dash rattle, then it won't be covered by the CPO or VSA warranties because these do not include replacing trim pieces or fixing noises, squeaks or rattles. The ground loop TSIB (where they replace the auxiliary sound input port) IS covered by the factory warranty as well as the CPO, and VSA warranties (assuming your VSA covers the sound system - I believe both the Gold and Platinum do but the Powertrain-only VSA won't) because it's a failure of a covered part. The engine grinding/cam gears TSIB for the IS350 is also covered by all the extended warranties, since it's to fix failed covered parts of the powertrain.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-11, 12:12 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
There aren't hard and fast rules saying for example "all TSIBs are covered by this warranty", etc. It's case-by-case and depends on what the TSIB is fixing and what the warranty covers (or doesn't).

I believe all TSIBs are covered by the factory warranty. I subscribed to TIS and downloaded every TSIB for my 2007 IS350 and every one I've seen is expressly covered by the factory warranty. However this is not the case for the CPO or VSA warranties; it's TSIB-specific. It all has to do with what the TSIB is for. If it's to fix a squeak or rattle, like the seat squeak or dash rattle, then it won't be covered by the CPO or VSA warranties because these do not include replacing trim pieces or fixing noises, squeaks or rattles. The ground loop TSIB (where they replace the auxiliary sound input port) IS covered by the factory warranty as well as the CPO, and VSA warranties (assuming your VSA covers the sound system - I believe both the Gold and Platinum do but the Powertrain-only VSA won't) because it's a failure of a covered part. The engine grinding/cam gears TSIB for the IS350 is also covered by all the extended warranties, since it's to fix failed covered parts of the powertrain.

Hope this helps.
Helps greatly. I'm going to call my SA and make an appt. So to be clear, the mirror IS covered under CPO?
Old 05-04-11, 12:51 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by MiiK350
Helps greatly. I'm going to call my SA and make an appt. So to be clear, the mirror IS covered under CPO?
I can't say with total certainty because I haven't looked at the specific TSIB regarding it (nor do I know one exists) and I haven't had this issue addressed personally, but here's the description of the CPO warranty:

This is what is COVERED by the CPO warranty:

This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship except as set forth under "Exclusions."

This is what is EXCLUDED from coverage by the CPO warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

The CPO warranty covers everything on the car except what is explicitly excluded. The relevant part is what's in red above: nowhere does it exclude mirrors, rearview mirror, etc. That means the mirror should be covered.

If this was regarding a mirror that was rattling because the trim piece attaching it to the windshield was loose, this would likely NOT be covered because in the red section above, "interior and exterior trim and moldings" are specifically excluded from coverage. This is the same reason the dash rattle TSIB is not covered by the CPO warranty; "dash cover and pad" are specifically excluded components.

If your mirror is exhibiting pattern burn, this is fairly undeniably a defect of materials, which should be covered.
Old 05-04-11, 02:22 PM
Numbahz
Driver

Wow awesome thanks Calvin !! Answered both my questions I was going to ask the dealer about the Ground Loop Isolater too since the one I am using is bulky... I sort of figured with the money I spent on that Piece of Mind that I wouldnt have a issue but havent had time off recently to take it in hopefully next week.. Ill let you know the outcome. Now..I wonder if the peeling/cracking of the paint on the rims lol

Thanks again !
Old 05-04-11, 05:02 PM
MicaIS250
Driver School Candidate

I just got the TSIB for the brakes replaced and it was covered under CPO warranty... But that was for the brake dust problem so not sure if that be categorized the same as wear and tear for the brakes

Quick Reply: Do TSB's asap LOL