IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 09:45 AM
CarlISlePA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!

Looking at buying a 2007 is350. The nav screen does not work. So no heat or ac controls im told? Anyone have any clue what the fix could be? Not interested in it if its going to be costly to remedy this. Please help asap if possible i will be going to look at this car tomorrow afternoon, thanks!
Old 05-06-11, 09:51 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it out of warranty? How many miles and what's the month the original owner bought it in? It's probably close so I'd ask the seller to have that fixed before you buy it because if not, it's a very expensive fix. Or maybe he will cut the price down to allow you to fix it.
Old 05-06-11, 10:01 AM
CarlISlePA
Driver

The listing states balance of factory warranty. I do not know the month they bought it in. 44k miles. Was apparently in a front end collision w first owner. Second owner did cf hood/trunk. Painted tails. Rims. Front lip. Intake. Exhaust. Could the accident have anything to do w the nav screen issue? If so does that make it a better or worse fix? How much do you mean by expensive? Thanks for the input
Old 05-06-11, 10:04 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlISlePA
Looking at buying a 2007 is350. The nav screen does not work. So no heat or ac controls im told? Anyone have any clue what the fix could be? Not interested in it if its going to be costly to remedy this. Please help asap if possible i will be going to look at this car tomorrow afternoon, thanks!
I assume you're only asking this question because the car's out of factory warranty. Otherwise, the previous owner would have had this issue fixed.

If that's the case, then pass on this car unless either 1) the previous owner gets it fixed before you buy it or they reduce the price to offset it, or 2) you have $2000 in spare change between the sofa cushions.

If they're going to give you a discount on it so you can get it fixed, take it to a dealership and get a quote on the repair work so you know exactly what it will cost.

Nav issues are relatively common on the 2IS and are very, very expensive. I can't speak to whether the other systems work if the nav screen doesn't, but even if they do it will be a huge pain because you won't be able to see what you're doing or what settings you're changing.

Also, if this car's nav isn't working and the previous owner didn't get it taken care of (especially if it's under warranty), then that's a likely sign the owner took other shortcuts with the car, neglected to do regularly scheduled maintenance, or could simply not even know about other issues on the car because he hasn't cared.

I'd pass.

EDIT: Just saw your above post. Don't take their word for "balance of factory warranty left". If it was bought in January-April 2007, the warranty's up. If it was purchased after April, you may have a few months of warranty left.

In any case, this only makes my above point stronger. If this car is under factory warranty and the nav fails, what's the first thing any one of us would do? We'd take it to the dealer, grab a loaner, and they'd fix it free of charge. ESPECIALLY if you were just getting ready to sell the car.

It makes me very wary of how this previous owner treated this car or maybe overlooked problems that are only going to arise as soon as you buy it and it's out of warranty. Recalls, TSIBs, squeaks and rattles - that could be your future.

Plug the car's VIN into the Lexus owner's website to see a full history.

Also, you have no idea what the hidden damage could be from the accident. As far as the accident causing problems with the nav, anything is possible. And that would make the nav problem your problem.

Can you post the link to the listing so we can see it and the price?

Last edited by calvin2376; 05-06-11 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-06-11, 10:09 AM
Micaiah

Listen to this ^^^ guy. Especially now that we know it's been in an accident. There are others around.
Old 05-06-11, 10:13 AM
CarlISlePA
Driver

True. But its a 350 w alot of the aftermarket stuff id end up doing anyways and they are only asking 17... I wasnt even in the market for a new car but was looking for a friend and saw basically the 350 twin of my 300 for what seemed like a good price until i learned about the nav. Im going to call them back and ask about the warranty. Would i be able to call my local dealership w the vin and find out the warranty info?
Old 05-06-11, 10:18 AM
CarlISlePA
Driver

Sorry i cant post it correctly from the mobile version of the forum...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 05-06-11, 10:23 AM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by CarlISlePA
True. But its a 350 w alot of the aftermarket stuff id end up doing anyways and they are only asking 17... I wasnt even in the market for a new car but was looking for a friend and saw basically the 350 twin of my 300 for what seemed like a good price until i learned about the nav. Im going to call them back and ask about the warranty. Would i be able to call my local dealership w the vin and find out the warranty info?
Wow 17. Salvaged?

Yes, you can call the dealer with the VIN number, they should be able to tell you.
Old 05-06-11, 10:27 AM
Micaiah

Okay it's at a used car dealership, I'd ask them to fix the Nav for you. But that price is really low for a 350 with those miles.

Looks like it has memory seats too. The exhaust looks crooked to me, the left side is sticking out more than the right?
Old 05-06-11, 10:28 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NAV is going to be expensive to fix... even if you know what you are doing, the part is expensive to replace. If you go for the flyaudio (aftermarket) nav, it's still expensive.

You are taking a risk... if you like gambling then go ahead. If anything happens down the line, we tried to inform you.

If you have a really good deal on it, then there's a reason for the low price. Do more research on it...
Old 05-06-11, 10:31 AM
CarlISlePA
Driver

Just checked lexus site. Service looks regular until 9/13/07 then nothing until 1/16/08. Then a lapse from 1/16/08 through 12/18/10 (and 20k miles) then on 12/18 and 12/22/10 went to two different dealers for "navigation computer" and nothing since those...
Old 05-06-11, 10:37 AM
CarlISlePA
Driver

Exhaust is a none issue for me. Id be redoing that a little anyways. The only thing holding me back here is the nav and i dont even care about the nav. Its only the fact that it controls the heat and ac that i care about. If there was a way to replace the screen w manual controls cheap id be for that no problem.
Old 05-06-11, 10:50 AM
Micaiah

My point about the exhaust is that it may have been in a larger accident than you think.

Why is it so cheap? Is it salvaged?
Old 05-06-11, 10:52 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

To me, I'd stop at the word "accident"...but if the dollar amount pleases you, just think of this. After you repair/replace the NAV (possibly $2k?) you'll almost have spent as much as I did for my '06 350 (31k miles, sport/prem pkgs, NAV).

I'd hold off until you found yourself a better deal.
Old 05-06-11, 10:57 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what Micaiah is trying to say is perhaps there is damage to the frame/chassis. That is why the exhaust is looking crooked... because the mount points for the exhaust has been shifted from a bad accident.

Check out the car in person to see the gaps between doors, hood, and trunk. Make sure it's symetrical and not too wide. If so, it has been wrecked bad and the frame is still bent.

Test drive it, if it pulls to one-side you may have a tweaked chassis.

Quick Reply: Help please!