IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dissatisfaction/BS from Lexus of Wilmington (DE) (Please provide input)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 10:09 AM
thespaz18
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissatisfaction/BS from Lexus of Wilmington (DE) (Please provide input)

As a foreword, I purchased my 2006 Lexus IS350 in April of 2009 as a CPO vehicle. Since then, the only mods I have added are H&R springs, Tanabe exhaust, K&N drop in filter, and window tint.

I drop my car off this morning at Lexus of Wilmington to have them treat the infamous dash rattle and the abnormal rough idle when stopped in D. Both problems occured as I drove the car in, so I prayed they both maintained when a tech did the road test in order to replicate them. I also handed the service rep the TSB for the dash rattle and the TSB for rough idle (even though the TSB is for IS250's). If replicated, I was hoping for the dash rattle to be fixed via 'noise kit' and the rough idle to be fixed via 'top engine clean,' per each TSB, respectively.

3 hours later I get a call from the Head of Parts and Services, with the master Lexus tech who drove the vehicle, listening to the convo. He stated that he couldn't replicate either problem, so they wouldn't be able to perform either rememdy, as stated in the TSBs. What shocked me even more was this comment:

- Head: "I didn't want to hook your car up to the computer to check for codes because it would erase the program already mapped on the ECU."
- Me: "What do you mean? What program are you referring to?"
- Head: "You seem like a young, computer savvy guy. You aren't aware of how your car's computer is mapped, in particular?"
- Me: "No, I'm not."
- Head: (Chuckle) "Son, you're car has a super chip in it. That chip has overwritten the original programming that your car came with from the factory."
- Me: (Chuckle) "No, I was not aware of that. I haven't messed with the cars' computer whatsover. How do you know that the original programming has been overwritten?"
- Head: "Sir, that's the fastest 350 our tech has ever driven? When and where did you buy this car?
- Me: "I bought it in 2009 from Lexus of Atlantic City. By the way, is there any way this can be proven because (chuckle) it seems a bit far fetched."
- Head: "Well, I'm afraid I don't have any way to prove it. I just don't want to set you back and overwrite the program."

So after the head continued trying to convince me that my car was an autobot and had a super chip in it, he ended by saying he couldn't perform any remedy to solve the dash rattle or rough idle because his tech couldn't replicate it. I asked him, "Even if I am willing to pay for the service of removing the dash so pieces of felt can be placed to eliminate the rattle AND the service required for the top engine clean, you won't do it?" He replied NO, unless it can be replicated. So I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning to ride w/ the tech and point out both problems. If they don't occur like they have been, I guess I'm SOL.
Old 05-06-11, 10:51 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I would ask the service rep to sit with me for a car ride to point it out to them. Sometime they don't want to expect or they think it's normal. You have to baby them.

The Super Chip thing is BS... there is no chip to this date that can be used to enhance the car's performance simply becuz the ECU is well encrypted by Lexus. It has yet to be cracked.

What does the chip has anything to do with the dash rattle? I would seriously question the service rep on his motives. Seems like they don't want to deal with your problem. Bring it up to a service manager is necessary. If that don't work, drop Lexus Corporate a mail and report that dealer.

Also, did you do the valve spring recall? Perhaps the rough idle is related to that...
Old 05-06-11, 10:55 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the head was trying to tell the op that he couldn't read the codes to see if the idle is throwing one because the chip has been reprogrammed to different specs.

Which of course I don't believe because as Shadowman said, I have not heard of one that is out for our cars yet unless it's that bad one from China.

But yes, once they plug that sucker in they have to put it back to spec. That is why when I took my Hemi in for any kind of service, I stuffed my plug, wrapped it, taped over it and put a sign on it saying not to plug anything in it without written permission.
Old 05-06-11, 10:59 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

He just didn't want to do the TSB. My car is lowered on 19's, exhaust , intake etc... and they fixed by rattle issue and my moon roof rattle as well.
Old 05-06-11, 11:07 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Ask him where said Super Chip is installed and pull it out to show him how non-super it is and how OEM it actually is. LOL!
Old 05-06-11, 11:09 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Super Chips is a handheld device that reprograms the existing chip by extracting the memory, storing in the handheld unit and you being able to custom program things such as shift points, rpm limits, etc.

If you need to put it back to stock, the handheld device extracts the custom program and reinstalls the stock one.
Old 05-06-11, 12:55 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's making it sound like you bought a Transformer.

I know nothing about the chip stuff, but I can say that if you bring a car to a dealership and tell them you have a problem, that dealership quotes you a price for a service and you agree to pay it upon completion of the service and they then refuse to do the service because they can't replicate it, they're crazy and you should go to a different dealer. I'd understand their response if you were trying to get it warrantied, but if you're willing to pay good money for it you should be able to have a service done.
Old 05-06-11, 01:08 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol!! Super chip..

Maybe you could of said. Do you want to prove that in the court room? That will have him keep his mouth shut from false remarks!

If you drive with the tech, should be easy to reproduce going on the road turtles/bott dots or rumble strips.
Old 05-06-11, 03:38 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

sooo where can i buy the super chip to increase 1 hp? lol
Old 05-06-11, 04:42 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by shadowman
Dude, I would ask the service rep to sit with me for a car ride to point it out to them. Sometime they don't want to expect or they think it's normal. You have to baby them.

The Super Chip thing is BS... there is no chip to this date that can be used to enhance the car's performance simply becuz the ECU is well encrypted by Lexus. It has yet to be cracked.

What does the chip has anything to do with the dash rattle? I would seriously question the service rep on his motives. Seems like they don't want to deal with your problem. Bring it up to a service manager is necessary. If that don't work, drop Lexus Corporate a mail and report that dealer.

Also, did you do the valve spring recall? Perhaps the rough idle is related to that...
I agree 100%! The super chip is such a BS excuse for not trying to address my problem. If needed, I'll tell him to hook the car up to check for codes. Maybe a picture of Optimus Prime will appear on the screen...then I'll really feel stupid! Also, I did have the valve spring recall completed, so I know it's not the culprit. I really hate escalating an issue like this, but if no progress is made, I would contact Lexus Corporate.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
He's making it sound like you bought a Transformer.

I know nothing about the chip stuff, but I can say that if you bring a car to a dealership and tell them you have a problem, that dealership quotes you a price for a service and you agree to pay it upon completion of the service and they then refuse to do the service because they can't replicate it, they're crazy and you should go to a different dealer. I'd understand their response if you were trying to get it warrantied, but if you're willing to pay good money for it you should be able to have a service done.
I agree. I haven't paid anything yet. The head of parts and services I spoke to said the top engine clean to remedy the rough idle is around $1K, so I may have to cross that bridge tomorrow if the car rattles and shakes like it has been. The head of parts and services made it seem like nothing is even wrong w/ the car, but I just don't trust him.

Originally Posted by Sango
Lol!! Super chip..

Maybe you could of said. Do you want to prove that in the court room? That will have him keep his mouth shut from false remarks!

If you drive with the tech, should be easy to reproduce going on the road turtles/bott dots or rumble strips.
Yea, with my luck, they did the road test on the most prestine road in DE. Tomorrow, I'm going to tell the tech to drive around and look for the crapiest strip of pavement to drive on.

Originally Posted by cloo7
sooo where can i buy the super chip to increase 1 hp? lol
Lol, no need to buy it....apparently it's already in all IS350's.
Old 05-06-11, 05:03 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Didn't know there was a fellow CL member from "Delawhere" here, LOL! Stay away from Lexus of Wilmington. The people that work there are completely clueless (service wise) and will try to rip you off. I asked one of the SA how much it was to program TPMS sensors and the guy said "What are TPMS sensors?" After I explained to him what it was, he quoted me $125 to program each tire. I also wanted my instrument cluster lens replaced. They quoted me $39 for the cluster lens and $500 in labor!!! I carefully did it myself in 45 minutes without any help. These guys are unbelievable. I did the majority of my recall at Wilkie Lexus and would trust them over Lexus of Wilmington any day. Good luck.
Old 05-06-11, 05:53 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
Didn't know there was a fellow CL member from "Delawhere" here, LOL! Stay away from Lexus of Wilmington. The people that work there are completely clueless (service wise) and will try to rip you off. I asked one of the SA how much it was to program TPMS sensors and the guy said "What are TPMS sensors?" After I explained to him what it was, he quoted me $125 to program each tire. I also wanted my instrument cluster lens replaced. They quoted me $39 for the cluster lens and $500 in labor!!! I carefully did it myself in 45 minutes without any help. These guys are unbelievable. I did the majority of my recall at Wilkie Lexus and would trust them over Lexus of Wilmington any day. Good luck.
Lol, Delaw-where?! Good to see a fellow local on the forum. I may need to try Wilkie Lexus, like you mentioned. Lexus of Wilmington hasn't really done me any favors as far as service goes. They've performed a few recalls for me and haven't F'd up on those, thankfully. Btw, in what part of the state are you located? I'm in the Newark area near UD...
Old 05-06-11, 06:45 PM
somatic
Rookie

So I guess it doesn't matter where u go, service depts everywhere hire idiots lol.
Old 05-06-11, 07:08 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thespaz18
Lol, Delaw-where?! Good to see a fellow local on the forum. I may need to try Wilkie Lexus, like you mentioned. Lexus of Wilmington hasn't really done me any favors as far as service goes. They've performed a few recalls for me and haven't F'd up on those, thankfully. Btw, in what part of the state are you located? I'm in the Newark area near UD...
Cool, bro...I'm also in the Newark area and only live about 10 minutes away from UD. I live right on Baltimore pike road. What color is your IS? I've only see maybe 2 slightly modded IS around the area.
Old 05-07-11, 07:13 AM
thespaz18
Rookie

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
Cool, bro...I'm also in the Newark area and only live about 10 minutes away from UD. I live right on Baltimore pike road. What color is your IS? I've only see maybe 2 slightly modded IS around the area.
It's crystal white. I may have been one of those modded IS.

Quick Reply: Dissatisfaction/BS from Lexus of Wilmington (DE) (Please provide input)