Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 10:45 PM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the IS or get summer/winter cars

Anyone had this decision to make --

I either
1.) Keep the AWD IS250 and run it year round here in Wisco (I plan on driving it until 150k and/or stuff starts going ~68k now) Bought it because I love the look and the AWD is a nice piece of mind in the winter (certainly not needed though)

or

2.) Sell the car and buy a early 2000s civic as a daily driver/winter beater and then get something for summer/nicer weather (thinking maybe a Z car or something)

Most of the time people run a summer car is because its a performance driven type choice - which doesn't really matter to me - I don't drive cars hard or really car about having a "fast" car but I do like fun to drive (hence the IS250).

Just wondering if anyone else has fought this battle
Old 05-10-11, 03:09 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Although I know what you mean, it sounds like you answered your own question. Keep the IS. I plan on getting a another car at some point and keeping the IS as a daily driver/winter car, could be another option for you.
Old 05-10-11, 05:27 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
Most of the time people run a summer car is because its a performance driven type choice - which doesn't really matter to me - I don't drive cars hard or really car about having a "fast" car but I do like fun to drive (hence the IS250).
You answered your own question. Why go to the headache and expense when it's not something you personally value? Asking others won't do you any good because they likely value and care about different things (for example, performance).
Old 05-10-11, 08:21 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're right at home with the IS250. Just keep it and enjoy it
Old 05-10-11, 09:37 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

I plan on getting a another car at some point and keeping the IS as a daily driver/winter car, could be another option for you.
that was in the back of my mind as an option too.... I probably won't go with anything new (buying and selling is a PITA) but I think I'm just getting a spending itch because as soon as I graduate I've got to start paying for a wedding - If I get all my toys before that there is nothing she can say about it.

I like the IS but just afraid as it gets older and higher miles the maintenance is going to become awfully expensive - and picking up a civic and getting like 38 mpg would be great...

then I can't get over how stupid it would be to own to items that are worth a fair amount of money that will only depreciate - better off using that money to make more money.
Old 05-10-11, 09:52 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the lexus is pretty reliable, so as it'll age pretty well. If you get the spending edge, go out and buy yourself a nice of winter rims and tires. That'll put a nice dent in your wallet but at the same time making you unstoppable in the winter.

AWD + good winter rims/tires =unstoppable.
Old 05-10-11, 10:13 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

i pick choice (1). please let me know if i picked the right answer for this exam. thank you.
Old 05-10-11, 10:48 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an IS300 as a year round car and it didnt satisfy my cravings. So I sold it and got an S2000 and a beater - but after 3 years I got sick of the beater and I only have a one car garage so I hated scraping snow and frost off the beater all the time.

Now, my IS350 satisfies my car cravings year round with a second set of winter/snow wheels and tires.

In a year or two I'll probably 'need' a covertible again - its just the cycle of life!