IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Insurance company doesnt want to install oem lexus parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 07:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Allstate and I have their top-of-the-line Platinum coverage with all the bells and whistles - deductible rewards, premium discounts, unlimited accident forgiveness, etc. This thread caused me to go back and review Allstate's policy on this, so I looked through my policy documents and wayyyy way in the back pages of the documents, there's one short sentence that says something to the effect of "Allstate may in some cases use aftermarket parts".

I wasn't happy about their not being explicit on the policy, so I called, and after being bounced around for a while I finally reached a supervisor who explained that Allstate's policy is to use aftermarket (non-OEM) parts and if the policyholder wants something else, they have to pay the difference. In some cases, if the price of USED OEM parts is close to that of the aftermarket parts, they'll use USED OEM parts with the policyholder's permission. This varies according to state law; each state is different in what it allows or requires for insurance companies. For example, some states require the insurance company to notify the policyholder and ask before using aftermarket parts, some don't.

I also asked if there was any way to pay extra or check an option to use only OEM parts, but they said no.

Basically, you should call your insurance company, get clear on their policy, then check your state laws. However, there is one steadfast rule you can always count on: insurance companies will default to the cheapest route, or, put another way, the route that leads to the highest profits for them. If you're in a collision and you file for insurance to cover the repairs to your car, the insurance will determine what parts to use based on this rule: the insurance company will use the least expensive part available as long as the part is "insurance-quality" and the particular state in which the claim is occurring allows it.

All "insurance-quality" means is defect-free. These aftermarket parts need not go through the same rigorous R&D and safety testing that OEM manufacturers undergo for their parts; this is precisely why aftermarket parts are so much cheaper.

No one should be surprised by this. Insurance companies get your fixed premium payments then, in the case of a claim, default to using the least expensive alternative possible, because the difference between the premium revenue they receive and the cost of repair is their profit.

It's unfortunate but it's not worth getting upset about, since if it's part of an insurance company's policy then it's written into the documents you agreed to (even if it wasn't made clear or it was masked by euphemistic language). This is standard practice among all insurance companies; it's not just cheap or disreputable insurance companies.
Old 05-11-11, 08:17 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good time to get the is-f style bumper
Old 05-11-11, 08:23 AM
latino914
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to the adjuster and came into an agreement of getting all the parts aftermarket except for the front bumper which is the main thing I'm concerned about and giving me a 5% discount off the diff. Of the bumper, but now I'm thinking of mabey just gettin the front bumper that comes painted from sewell for 490 but am a ll skeptical about it when I receive it with mabey scratches or other lil things.
Old 05-11-11, 08:32 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by latino914
Talked to the adjuster and came into an agreement of getting all the parts aftermarket except for the front bumper which is the main thing I'm concerned about and giving me a 5% discount off the diff. Of the bumper, but now I'm thinking of mabey just gettin the front bumper that comes painted from sewell for 490 but am a ll skeptical about it when I receive it with mabey scratches or other lil things.
That's an irrational concern, because if it comes scratched or damaged you can just return it to Sewell.

What are they charging you for the bumper? What's the aftermarket part cost and what's the OEM part cost?
Old 05-11-11, 09:54 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

if possible get USAA....cheaper rates for the same coverage everyone else gets. 21st Century has a bad name in the insurance business for stuff like this.
Old 05-11-11, 10:17 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

That sucks. At times like this, I'm glad to be in California. In CA, you have the right to select the shop you want to fix your car... and the insurance company have to comply. If you select a good shop that only uses OEM parts, the insurance HAS to cover it by law.

I got brand new OEM door when someone backed up into my car in a parking lot. The other party's insurance tried to low ball me... but the shop took care of everything for me. In CA, it's YOUR RIGHT to choose the shop you want your car fixed.

Did you try checking with your state's insurance board? Perhaps there may be something similiar and the insurance company is trying to bully you.
Old 05-11-11, 10:30 AM
cenix
Driver

pretty bogus if they do that to you because i would only want genuine parts as a replacement... they're insuring your car in its current state (which is all original i'm assuming?) then they should repair it accordingly. i hope you get it sorted out.
Old 05-11-11, 12:15 PM
scampbell
Rookie

that is some bs, I am gonna call and check with USAA to see if they have a policy like this...
Old 05-11-11, 01:43 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

It's all in the fine print which even includes things like windshield replacement. Even shops have told me that the parts they use will differ from each insurance company. They sometimes even require used parts if available. Like they always say you get what you pay for.
Old 05-11-11, 07:10 PM
HIDness
Driver

I have AAA and I go to this one shop that is AAA approved. The guy that work there said if you are insured by AAA the shop doesn't need a adjuster to show up and approve the repair order in advance. The shop always order OEM genuine LEXUS parts for me when I ask for it.......I never have any problems so far.
Old 05-11-11, 08:01 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

That's bs, i use to have 21st and when my car was hit in a parking lot while i was in class they completely replaced all my parts with oem parts straight from lexus. Of course this was in california. Not sure why that should make a difference since it's the same ******n company.
Old 05-11-11, 10:42 PM
latino914
Driver School Candidate

Bumper
Oem part cost........ 350
Aftermarket part cost.... 260
Sewell part cost PAINTED.... 490
Old 05-11-11, 10:44 PM
latino914
Driver School Candidate

Bumper
Oem part cost........ 350
Aftermarket part cost.... 260
Sewell part cost PAINTED.... 490
Old 05-11-11, 11:43 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

ive had this same issue before. stoooopid adjusters are just tryna save their insurance company some $$$. the guy wanted to put an aftermarket part on my car which had a slight different fitment as compared to the OEM part... i got the shop of my choosing to fight for an OEM part and they got it. i think you should have a shop of your choosing to fight for you in getting all OEM parts for your car. after all, the shop is benefiting from you so if you ask them to get OEM parts, hopefully the shop will do so... as long as theyre a good bodyshop and willing to fight for your business and wishes. goodluck.
Old 05-12-11, 01:23 AM
Salduchi
Driver

Originally Posted by DaSyce
If there is hidden damage, the car will need to be reinspected by the adjustor.
By the appraiser

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
But you do realize that whatever the adjuster comes up with is all the insurance company will pay, unless there's a dispute or hidden damage. So telling the shop to just use Lexus parts instead means the difference would be coming out of your pocket unless the shop lies and throws in a bunch of extra parts he didn't actually replace.
The appraiser is responsible for writing the estimate based on company guidlines, not the adjuster. Most adjuster could not write a sheet.

Originally Posted by meangene
Depending on what shop you take it to they could put in another adjustment to the claim. Your insurance company will send out the adjuster again or if you go to a body shop that works with your insurance company they'll take care of the rest.
Its called a "Supplement". If damages were missed the shop can call in for a Supplement. After a vehicle is torn down additional damages become visible to both the shop and the appraiser. It happens all the time.

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
ive had this same issue before. stoooopid adjusters are just tryna save their insurance company some $$$. The guy wanted to put an aftermarket part on my car which had a slight different fitment as compared to the OEM part... i got the shop of my choosing to fight for an OEM part and they got it. i think you should have a shop of your choosing to fight for you in getting all OEM parts for your car. after all, the shop is benefiting from you so if you ask them to get OEM parts, hopefully the shop will do so... as long as theyre a good bodyshop and willing to fight for your business and wishes. goodluck.
If i had a dollar every time I heard something like this I'd be retired. First of all I'll give my exact quote "If you get paid $5.00 of $50,000 dollars I get paid the same" My job is not and has never been to save the insurance company money. Second the adjuster does not write the estimate, the appraiser does. Its then reviewed by the material damage supervisor then its given to the adjuster. Truth be told most adjusters know very little about vehicles let alone how to repair the thousands of different model vehicles that land on an auto adjusters desk in a single year. It is and always will be the job of an adjuster to handle the claim according the the legal contract you signed, ie: the policy.

I'm actually both and adjuster and an appraiser and I have my own independant adjusting company. When I walk into a shop and the the shop guy hands me a sheet. I look at a particular line item and just for fun I sometimes give the shop guy that WTF look and the shop guy always says "I know I know but the owner wanted me to put that in the estimate" Thats part of the shops job, to put everything you tell them to on an estimate. Plasma tv, turbo, flux capacitor whatever your little heart desires. But when I get back to my office and start to typing, all that crap gets clipped if its not allowed by the policy.

Calvin2376 showed a very good understanding of the claims porcedures and policy language and more importantly he read his policy.

If you guys ever have a question, feel free to ask, my advice is always free.

Last edited by Salduchi; 05-12-11 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Insurance company doesnt want to install oem lexus parts