IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Insurance company doesnt want to install oem lexus parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 05:38 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Salduchi

Its called a "Supplement". If damages were missed the shop can call in for a Supplement. After a vehicle is torn down additional damages become visible to both the shop and the appraiser. It happens all the time.

That's the word I was looking for lol thanks!!
Old 05-12-11, 05:47 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i had a dollar every time I heard something like this I'd be retired. First of all I'll give my exact quote "If you get paid $5.00 of $50,000 dollars I get paid the same" My job is not and has never been to save the insurance company money. Second the adjuster does not write the estimate, the appraiser does. Its then reviewed by the material damage supervisor then its given to the adjuster. Truth be told most adjusters know very little about vehicles let alone how to repair the thousands of different model vehicles that land on an auto adjusters desk in a single year. It is and always will be the job of an adjuster to handle the claim according the the legal contract you signed, ie: the policy.

I'm actually both and adjuster and an appraiser and I have my own independant adjusting company. When I walk into a shop and the the shop guy hands me a sheet. I look at a particular line item and just for fun I sometimes give the shop guy that WTF look and the shop guy always says "I know I know but the owner wanted me to put that in the estimate" Thats part of the shops job, to put everything you tell them to on an estimate. Plasma tv, turbo, flux capacitor whatever your little heart desires. But when I get back to my office and start to typing, all that crap gets clipped if its not allowed by the policy.

Calvin2376 showed a very good understanding of the claims porcedures and policy language and more importantly he read his policy.

If you guys ever have a question, feel free to ask, my advice is always free.
So my insurance won't cover that 42" LCD I had "installed" in my trunk? Dammit!
Old 05-12-11, 09:54 AM
Salduchi
Driver

Originally Posted by carlos
So my insurance won't cover that 42" LCD I had "installed" in my trunk? Dammit!
Only if you get an "endorsement". Good you brought this up. For people who have aftermarket rims, AM suspension, AM stereos, AM body kits, tv's etc. etc. Those items will not be covered by insurance unless you take out additional coverage in the form of an endorsement. A policy is designed to cover a stock/factory vehicle, not a pimped out one.

Last edited by Salduchi; 05-12-11 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 11:03 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only if you get an "endorsement". Good you brought this up. For people who have aftermarket rims, AM suspension, AM stereos, AM body kits, tv's etc. etc. Those items will not be covered by insurance unless you take out additional coverage in the form of an endorsement. A policy is designed to cover a stock/factory vehicle, not a pimped out one.
That prompts a question I've had for a long time. If you call your insurance company and tell them you have aftermarket parts/mods you want to make sure are covered, will they jack up your rates just for having aftermarket parts? Of course they'll charge you more because they're now covering the cost of extra components, but I'm asking from an actuarial perspective. I could see an insurance company jacking up my rates if I called to tell them I have a body kit, suspension mods, bolt-on turbo, etc because they'd see me as a higher risk to insure. In general, I would imagine they view people who mod their cars as higher risks (and therefore costlier to insure) because these people are more likely to race, get in accidents, etc.

So in your experience/knowledge, do insurance companies do this? Like say I had an aftermarket turbocharger and suspension, the total value of which was $2000 and I wanted them to insure that, so I called them to tell them about it. Would they increase my rates just enough to cover that $2000, or would they raise them even more to both cover the parts AND adjust for the higher perceived risk I present? Of course I'd never be able to know what part of the increase was what, so I'm curious to hear your opinion as someone who's worked in insurance.
Old 05-12-11, 11:29 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I have USAA, a great insurance company that i have had for over 20 years. However they also require third party parts to be used--it is not just no name brands, but i will ask about any add on to my policy to get lexus OEM parts.

You should also look at your home owner's policy to see about additional parts that may or may not be covered while in your car.
Old 05-12-11, 11:36 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think Supercharger/ internal are covered under any policy unless it came factory.
Old 05-12-11, 11:48 AM
latino914
Driver School Candidate

I talked with the adjusters supervisor and he will be taking a second look at my car on tues. So ill see what he says n keep y'all updated
Old 05-12-11, 11:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
That sucks. At times like this, I'm glad to be in California. In CA, you have the right to select the shop you want to fix your car... and the insurance company have to comply. If you select a good shop that only uses OEM parts, the insurance HAS to cover it by law.
That's only partially true. You have the right to take it to any body shop you wish...but depending on your contract with your insurance company...they dictate what they put on your car...not the body shop. The body shop can fight it all day, but if it's in your policy that Quality Replacement Parts or Aftermarket Parts can be selected...you are SOL because your contractual agreement with the insurance company is for that. That's what you agreed to when you signed up for your specific insurance policy with a certain carrier.

Did you try checking with your state's insurance board? Perhaps there may be something similiar and the insurance company is trying to bully you.
Not all states have a Dept of Insurance or Bureau of Automotive Repair like California does...we in CA are lucky to have these agencies to protect the consumer.
Old 05-12-11, 03:18 PM
Salduchi
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
So in your experience/knowledge, do insurance companies do this? Like say I had an aftermarket turbocharger and suspension, the total value of which was $2000 and I wanted them to insure that, so I called them to tell them about it. Would they increase my rates just enough to cover that $2000, or would they raise them even more to both cover the parts AND adjust for the higher perceived risk I present? Of course I'd never be able to know what part of the increase was what, so I'm curious to hear your opinion as someone who's worked in insurance.
Back in the day I owned a 94 Nissan 300ZX convertible. The reason I did not get the 300zx tourbo was because of maintenance and higher insurance rates that resulted from owning the turbo version. So it would stand to reason that if you added a turbo to your car the underwriters would likely increase your premium as the insurable "risk" has just gone up. BUT funny enough when ever I have seen performance mods added to a vehicle that was already insured I only witnessed the premium go up for the cost of the parts and not for the increased risk.