IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Insurance company doesnt want to install oem lexus parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 06:32 PM
latino914
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance company doesnt want to install oem lexus parts

i recently got into an accident on the highway running over a truck tire leaving my bumper cracked and fog lamp broken & other.... I went to lexus and got an estimate of $2700, the adjuster from my insurance company did and estimate which totaled $2100 reason being is him telling me that most the parts will be aftermarket (keystone), not oem lexus parts, i told him that i want all lexus parts and he told me that it wasnt on my policy that they had to use oem manufactur parts, n that they were allowed to install aftermarket parts. He told me if i really want lexus parts that i would have to pay the difference.
So what other options do i have?
Old 05-10-11, 06:43 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by latino914
i recently got into an accident on the highway running over a truck tire leaving my bumper cracked and fog lamp broken & other.... I went to lexus and got an estimate of $2700, the adjuster from my insurance company did and estimate which totaled $2100 reason being is him telling me that most the parts will be aftermarket (keystone), not oem lexus parts, i told him that i want all lexus parts and he told me that it wasnt on my policy that they had to use oem manufactur parts, n that they were allowed to install aftermarket parts. He told me if i really want lexus parts that i would have to pay the difference.
So what other options do i have?
sorry to hear what happen to your car but what the adjuster told you is BS, whose insurance do you have? I have State Farm they let me choose where to get them fix.
Old 05-10-11, 06:46 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

some bs unknown insurance place have this in there policy its a clause called lqk (like kind and quality) no major places have this .... just your sub standard insurance places... they put it so far back in the contract and in super fine print you would never know if its there. but i would fight it and get it fixed with lexus parts
Old 05-10-11, 06:46 PM
shizblam
Driver School Candidate

Call your insurance agent and let them know that this is the kind of issue that will make you cancel your policy. If they aren't willing to budge... pay the difference for the repair. And cancel your policy. You can always get insurance somewhere else.
Old 05-10-11, 06:47 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Most insurance have shop list for you to choose from and dealer ship aren't one of them. Best bet take it to the shop that work with your insurance tell them what you want. Most like they will try to get more from your insurance.
Old 05-10-11, 06:53 PM
latino914
Driver School Candidate

21st century, and i dont think he was making it up because from looking into it more it kind of does say it on my policy and alot of companies follow the same practice, also i would have to have the body shop dispute it with them then theyll prob. pay more, lexus told me that they will talk to the adjuster tomm.
Old 05-10-11, 09:06 PM
Salduchi
Driver

I've been in insurance claims for twenty years. Two issues being brought up here.

1-Are LKQ parts allowed. Answer: Yes, this is done by the Big Dogs on down. I'm not saying all but definitly most. Read Your Policy!

2-What shop can I use. Answer: Which ever shop you like. But, if your shop charges a higher rate than the industry standard you may be stuck with the difference. Read Your Policy!
Old 05-10-11, 09:12 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

An estimate is only that, an estimate. Get your car fixed, by the shop, and tell them to order only lexus parts, you also have the right to choose which shop repairs your car. The price diff is only $600 if that's what your quote was w/ OEM parts. They'll pay up. There is often hidden damage in collisions so there is no point blank assessment total. Don't be worried I've been down this avenue before.

Joel
Old 05-10-11, 11:56 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember reading in my policy somewhere about the option to pay some dollar amount more a month so that my insurance would be forced to use only OEM parts if my car ever got into an accident.
Old 05-11-11, 04:58 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
An estimate is only that, an estimate. Get your car fixed, by the shop, and tell them to order only lexus parts, you also have the right to choose which shop repairs your car. The price diff is only $600 if that's what your quote was w/ OEM parts. They'll pay up. There is often hidden damage in collisions so there is no point blank assessment total. Don't be worried I've been down this avenue before.

Joel
If there is hidden damage, the car will need to be reinspected by the adjustor.
Old 05-11-11, 05:35 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY

Joel
But you do realize that whatever the adjuster comes up with is all the insurance company will pay, unless there's a dispute or hidden damage. So telling the shop to just use Lexus parts instead means the difference would be coming out of your pocket unless the shop lies and throws in a bunch of extra parts he didn't actually replace.
Old 05-11-11, 05:48 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Depending on what shop you take it to they could put in another adjustment to the claim. Your insurance company will send out the adjuster again or if you go to a body shop that works with your insurance company they'll take care of the rest.

I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old 05-11-11, 05:52 AM
hoser813
Driver

I am actually going through this right now... got rear-ended on the highway last week. The insurance adjuster put down refurbed or knock off parts instead of OEM lexus. The shop I took it to is trying their hardest to work within the estimate without cutting corners and was able to source the majority of the OEM parts from lexus (including the bumper) for the same price as the refurbs. Take it to a reputable shop and see if they can work a deal with lexus on OEM parts.

But yeah, insurance companys are looking for profits, not the best interest of their customers or their cars. Be ready to be screwed in some form.
Old 05-11-11, 06:17 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

I'm with Nationwide and they have a box you have to check when signing up for your policy "Original Part Replacement". I think it added about 1% to my premium so not much.
Old 05-11-11, 06:39 AM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Dudes a fgt.......

Quick Reply: Insurance company doesnt want to install oem lexus parts