IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear window cracks out of no where

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 04:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your insurance is NOT supposed to go up for a comprehensive claim, as this is insurance for things you generally have no control over.

Collision claims/at-fault accidents, tickets, etc make your premium go up.
Old 05-17-11, 04:25 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ thanks for clearin it up bro!
Old 05-17-11, 04:28 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Unless you got cut rate insurance, don't worry about your premiums going up for this one! lol
Old 05-18-11, 06:01 AM
calvin2376
Racer

This is slighty off-topic but related, and wasn't worth starting a new thread for. This morning I noticed I have a small chip in the lower center of the windshield, likely from a rock or something on the highway. It's very small right now, and hasn't extended outward at all.

Is there a way to get this addressed preemptively before it potentially expands and turns into a crack that requires a new windshield? I know I've seen solutions and products that can seep in and reseal/make invisible small marks and cracks in glass. Is this possible for a windshield? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 05-18-11, 08:24 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This is slighty off-topic but related, and wasn't worth starting a new thread for. This morning I noticed I have a small chip in the lower center of the windshield, likely from a rock or something on the highway. It's very small right now, and hasn't extended outward at all.

Is there a way to get this addressed preemptively before it potentially expands and turns into a crack that requires a new windshield? I know I've seen solutions and products that can seep in and reseal/make invisible small marks and cracks in glass. Is this possible for a windshield? Anyone have any experience with this?
Yes. I got my windshield chipped with a rock on the freeway about 3 weeks ago in the upper-right corner of the windshield... about 1.5 inches from the top and right edge. The edges of a windshield are a VERY bad spot to get glass damage.

I filed a glass claim with my insurer (Geico) and they scheduled Safelite to come out the next morning at my home to fill it. Thankfully the kid was able to fix it without cracking the windshield and now you can barely notice it unless I point it out or you get up close and look really hard. Geico covered the cost of the repair and it does not affect my premium in any way.

There are products available at automotive stores where you can get a kit that will pretty much make the same repair, but from experience you usually can't get as clean a fix as the professionals can.

One thing the safelite kid told me is that when your windshield gets chipped, make sure you always leave the window cracked till you get the chip filled. When you roll the windows up and leave it for a period of time, the outside and inside pressure changes and can turn a chip into a crack across the entire windshield.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-18-11, 11:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by nastyemu
Yes. I got my windshield chipped with a rock on the freeway about 3 weeks ago in the upper-right corner of the windshield... about 1.5 inches from the top and right edge. The edges of a windshield are a VERY bad spot to get glass damage.

I filed a glass claim with my insurer (Geico) and they scheduled Safelite to come out the next morning at my home to fill it. Thankfully the kid was able to fix it without cracking the windshield and now you can barely notice it unless I point it out or you get up close and look really hard. Geico covered the cost of the repair and it does not affect my premium in any way.

There are products available at automotive stores where you can get a kit that will pretty much make the same repair, but from experience you usually can't get as clean a fix as the professionals can.

One thing the safelite kid told me is that when your windshield gets chipped, make sure you always leave the window cracked till you get the chip filled. When you roll the windows up and leave it for a period of time, the outside and inside pressure changes and can turn a chip into a crack across the entire windshield.

Hope that helps!
CL to the rescue again!

Thanks very much for your help. After your post, I called my insurance company (Allstate) and scheduled a company to come out and repair my windshield. As long as you have Comprehensive policy coverage with Allstate, they waive your deductible if you elect to repair the windshield as opposed to replace it (obviously this only works in cases where the windshield CAN be repaired - their criteria is "if your glass damage consists of a chip or crack on your windshield that is smaller than a dollar bill"). So obviously, since my crack is very tiny (a few mm across) I elected to have it repaired, and so I pay nothing out of pocket and my premiums and deductibles are unaffected.

I had no idea insurance companies did that (it's easy to see why - saves them from having to pay higher costs to replace the entire thing down the road), mainly because I've never filed any type of insurance claim before.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-18-11, 02:18 PM
Fsport350
Driver

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl

Is this legit??
Looks good to me!