IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

taking car in to do TSB carbon + recalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 01:47 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default taking car in to do TSB carbon + recalls

so i'm taking my car in to do some recalls and TSB carbon build up..
i have a f sport intake.. would it be a good idea to put the stock back in ? .. and also i haven't been servicing the dealership last oil change .. will they try to relate the rough idles to that ?
Old 05-14-11, 02:07 AM
kais250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack your thread, but i have a question about the TSB. Do all lexus IS x50 get to do them? Because I have a 2006 is250 and wondering if I can get the TSB done for the carbon build up? Thanks ahead!
Old 05-14-11, 06:55 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have the F Sport Intake I don't think you will have to remove it. With it being a Lexus Product that they sell, you should be good to go.

If there is a TSB or Recall, all they will have to do is duplicate the problem. So they can see it with their "own eyes." If it's a good dealership, I don't see you having any problems.

This is from Lexus....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0029-10-1-.pdf

Last edited by Stylnhonda; 05-14-11 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-14-11, 09:12 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but the carbon build up in the engine is hard to duplicate...would i have to almost stall at a red light for them ? :P
Old 05-14-11, 12:12 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should be fine with the F Sport intake since it's a Lexus part. I would just tell them the symptoms of the vehicle that the carbon build up has.
Old 05-14-11, 12:21 PM
kais250
Rookie

@sffd103

I was wondering what are some of the symptoms to tell them when I go in for the service? Just want to be prepared, thanks!

Also, my car is approaching 60k and will need to do the service package soon. Would it be cheaper for them to change the spark plugs and do the brake fluid change at the same time? Since they are already doing some sort of work on it?
Old 05-14-11, 02:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No reason to remove the intake.

TSIBs are free as long as the car is under warranty, after that they aren't.

Recalls are always free.

and there's not really much/any overlap I can think of in the labor of changing brake fluid and changing spark plugs, though both are due at 60k miles. Just be sure to ask for the pricing on JUST the items you need done, not "the 60k service" because otherwise the price will go up considerably and you won't get anything extra for it.
Old 05-27-11, 05:12 PM
autox250
Driver

if you do the TSIB you shouldnt get charged for plugs, you have to remove them as part of the procedure
Old 10-26-11, 10:52 AM
qdn745
Driver School Candidate

I want to come in to get this TSIB taken care of when I take my 08 IS 250 AWD to the dealership for the 64,000 km service.

As with others, it may be difficult to duplicate, but my IS does vibrate noticeably when idle in drive.

Can those who have had it done share some tips? I have CPO warranty, so it's covered right?
Old 10-26-11, 11:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

There are some other threads about this that have more info. It sounds like the latest TSB involves taking apart portions of the engine and rebuilding the offending parts. Quite a job.
I just made an appointment to have mine looked at for the second time and will report back what they say. I already told the SA he's not going to experience it, since it only happens once every few weeks. So we'll see.
Old 10-26-11, 12:05 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qdn745
I want to come in to get this TSIB taken care of when I take my 08 IS 250 AWD to the dealership for the 64,000 km service.

As with others, it may be difficult to duplicate, but my IS does vibrate noticeably when idle in drive.

Can those who have had it done share some tips? I have CPO warranty, so it's covered right?
Yes it's covered, also by the powertrain warranty.

Check this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 10-26-11, 12:53 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Can you just show them that whole carbon build up thread through your smartphone to prove that everyone has this issue?
Old 10-26-11, 02:53 PM
rockinalex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my is250 has just hit 70k , i took it for service 2 months ago, and i told them about the carbon build up, and how the car seem like its gonna turn off when completely stop, and they service guy said it would cost 690 dollars to get fix.... i still have not done the service. im thinking of calling the dealer and see if i can work anything
Old 10-26-11, 03:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qdn745

I've never had to duplicate the issue. I just pointed out the issues i was having (Car having rough idle, bogging down at stops, etc) and pointed out there was a TSIB for it and it was taken care of.

Also, if you buy the spark plugs, most dealerships will replace them for free or at a minimal cost while they are in there performing the top engine clean. Top engine clean doesn't have anything to do with the brake fluid flush though, so that they will charge you whatever they usually charge. The top engine clean requires an oil change, twice actually, so if you use a specific oil, or need an oil change, keep this in mind. Might want to have them refill with whatever you usually put in on the second oil change.

As others have already said, this TSIB is covered by any Powertrain warranty

I wonder tho, is this covered up to 100k if you have the CPO warranty? I'm sure someone knows

Originally Posted by steezy
Can you just show them that whole carbon build up thread through your smartphone to prove that everyone has this issue?
You shouldn't have to show them the thread. If you describe the issues your having and point out there is a TSIB for it, they should take care of it. StylnHonda posted a link with the PDF in it closer to the top of this thread if you want to have it printed out when you go tho!

Originally Posted by rockinalex
my is250 has just hit 70k , i took it for service 2 months ago, and i told them about the carbon build up, and how the car seem like its gonna turn off when completely stop, and they service guy said it would cost 690 dollars to get fix.... i still have not done the service. im thinking of calling the dealer and see if i can work anything
If you took it in for service and explained the issue right after you hit 70k and were out the powertrain warranty, you might be out of luck. It's only covered under any applicable powertrain warranty, the dealer might just refuse to do it even if your just over 70k. My best advice to you is to call Lexus corporate, ask that your JUST outside the 70k warranty and would like to see if you can have the TSIB performed out of good will. Most of the time, they will do it for free or at least half cost. $690 is too much though for it. If i remember correctly, what they billed to Lexus was closer to $500 for it when i had mine done.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 10-26-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 03:33 PM
birador
Lead Lap

is this TSIB affects only 250's?

Quick Reply: taking car in to do TSB carbon + recalls