IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 for 2011 Mustang GT Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 07:29 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I would purchase the Auto version because of all the issues with the manual transmission currently.

The drivers seat is more comfortable in the Mustang compared to the 2006 IS seats. Handling overall is better in the Mustang than the IS as well and that's not me imagining it. Ride quality feels better in the Mustang too, but that could be the wear of and tear of the IS350 (54k miles.) The loaner 2010/2011 IS's from Lexus do feel "tighter" and more controlled compared to the 2006 IS.

Just wanted to trade in the IS before depreciation really hits when the next-gen IS arrives. Which should be end of 2011 for 2012 model year. Was considering on waiting to see what the next IS will be like, but I'm pretty sure the drivetrain will be unchanged.

I don't think another IS350 (or whatever the nextgen will be labeled) will be in my foreseeable future. Have an 08 ISF, so no need to own 2 of the relatively same cars.

I agree that domestic quality still isn't quite there yet. But Toyota/Lexus isn't without quality issues too.

2006 IS350 issues I've had:
- IP cluster needle lights went dim. Dealer wouldn't honor warranty (51k miles,) quoted $1200.
- Cam gear startup grind
- Major oil leak from front main seal

2008 ISF:
- Pulling to the right despite many attempts to align, tire swaps. Learned to deal with it. Changed to PS2's, issue is still there, but not as bad.
- NAV touchscreen dead. $5000 fix if not for warranty.
- Coil packs replaced
- And now, water pump is leaking slightly

I've learned that no matter what car you buy, there are going to be issues. Anything mechanical is bound to fail. And with cars now approaching something like 20,000-30,000 parts, even at 0.001% failure rate, that's still 20-30 parts that can fail.

Reasoning for a new Mustang GT would be strictly price vs performance + aftermarket potential.

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I wouldn't do it. Why get a GT in auto?? Granted the manual has issues but I would wait until next couple model years and wait for them to resolve the issue.
Old 05-16-11, 07:36 PM
IS144
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I disagree that the Mustang handles well, it handles like crap around turns in my opinion compared to other cars in its class. But it is a fast car, and it's not too expensive either. The interior on the newest model is much better than in the past as well. But like someone else mentioned, it depreciates fast. The newer ones are much more reliable though, Ford seems to be on top of its game now, but i still can't justify the purchase based on depreciation and the way the car handles (to me) lol.
i love the IS, but that Mustang out handles most cars on the road right now for less than exotic prices. MotorTrend did a comparo at Willow Springs between the 5.0 and an M3. They were neck and neck the whole way with the Mustang ahead in slower turns.

The Manual trans is the only way to get that performance though because it has the Brembo's and 3.72 rear end. The auto doesn't yield the performance and you will quite possibly regret that.
Old 05-16-11, 07:46 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS144
i love the IS, but that Mustang out handles most cars on the road right now for less than exotic prices. MotorTrend did a comparo at Willow Springs between the 5.0 and an M3. They were neck and neck the whole way with the Mustang ahead in slower turns.

The Manual trans is the only way to get that performance though because it has the Brembo's and 3.72 rear end. The auto doesn't yield the performance and you will quite possibly regret that.
huh? auto now a day is so advanced it doesn't matter anymore. For example the Camaro auto out performed the manual version in 0-60 times. So auto or manual is up to the person but you won't sacrifice performance by buying an auto over manual.
Old 05-16-11, 07:53 PM
IS144
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
huh? auto now a day is so advanced it doesn't matter anymore. For example the Camaro auto out performed the manual version in 0-60 times. So auto or manual is up to the person but you won't sacrifice performance by buying an auto over manual.
Actually on that car you do because they pack all the high performance goodies on the manual model. Check out Ford's website or Mustang brochure; you can only get the crazy handling and acceleration out of the manual model. Better yet, check out what MotorTrend says about that car.

In most cases these days you are right, but keep in mind this is a Ford automatic. It isn't bad, but doesn't do that car justice.
Old 05-16-11, 08:08 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS144
Actually on that car you do because they pack all the high performance goodies on the manual model. Check out Ford's website or Mustang brochure; you can only get the crazy handling and acceleration out of the manual model. Better yet, check out what MotorTrend says about that car.

In most cases these days you are right, but keep in mind this is a Ford automatic. It isn't bad, but doesn't do that car justice.
I'll check it out later but it still doesn't mean manual>auto. You just get performance parts with the manual package.. doesn't mean you can't add those upgrades later on with the auto. What I'm trying to say is.. with the same performance parts auto vs manual is a driver's race.
Old 05-16-11, 09:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think the average IS350 driver cross-shops the Mustang. One is modern and luxurious and the other is old-fashioned and extroverted. When you see car magazines do tests, these two are never paired together.
Old 05-16-11, 09:27 PM
IS144
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
I'll check it out later but it still doesn't mean manual>auto. You just get performance parts with the manual package.. doesn't mean you can't add those upgrades later on with the auto. What I'm trying to say is.. with the same performance parts auto vs manual is a driver's race.
I agree with you there. Leave it to Ford to only offer the best stuff on a manual. The gearing on the auto wasn't that great either if i remember correctly.
Old 05-16-11, 09:39 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have zero interest in a Mustang. They're a dime a dozen. Not to mention, every sports car driver wannabe has one. They're always the ones in the fast lane doing the speed limit. I think they're afraid if they go too fast something will fall off.
Old 05-16-11, 09:40 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I disagree that the Mustang handles well, it handles like crap around turns in my opinion compared to other cars in its class. But it is a fast car, and it's not too expensive either. The interior on the newest model is much better than in the past as well. But like someone else mentioned, it depreciates fast. The newer ones are much more reliable though, Ford seems to be on top of its game now, but i still can't justify the purchase based on depreciation and the way the car handles (to me) lol.
dude where do you get your information from. 5.0 gt handles great, maybe the best handling gt yet. trying picking up a car magazine. go for the mustang in mt.
Old 05-17-11, 02:14 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
dude where do you get your information from. 5.0 gt handles great, maybe the best handling gt yet. trying picking up a car magazine. go for the mustang in mt.
Have you driven one and compared it to other cars in its class?

Go drive a 2011/2012 Mustang 5.0 GT and then drive a new 370Z.
Old 05-17-11, 07:28 AM
Njgirl1963
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Fizzboy7. Comparing apples to oranges, IMO. I have owed both, and in a NJ winter, I wound up in a ditch with 2 inches of snow on the the ground(Mustang) and the other I have driven through 8 inches of the white stuff where I couldn't get stuck if I tried(IS 250 AWD)
good luck ...they are both fun cars!
Old 05-17-11, 07:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Just wanted to trade in the IS before depreciation really hits when the next-gen IS arrives. Which should be end of 2011 for 2012 model year. Was considering on waiting to see what the next IS will be like, but I'm pretty sure the drivetrain will be unchanged.
The next gen IS isn't coming out late 2011 as a 2012. They wouldn't have bothered with the 2011 face lift if this was the last year of production... and you would've seen some hint of the 3rd gen at car shows by now.

Earliest you'll see the 3rd gen IS is mid-late 2012 as a 2013.
Old 05-17-11, 08:59 AM
viper522
Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
You have no idea what you are talking about. The new Stang handles better than a 2011 M3. Gets better gas mileage and cost only half as much as the M3.
this +1
Old 05-17-11, 09:04 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
i think american cars only look good, but their quality is not nearly as good as japanese or german automobiles. with that said, no i would not trade a lexus for a ford.

American car has come a long way in terms of quality improvement. Believe it or not, if you search vehicle quality surveys Ford and GM beat out Nissan, Mazda (Basically Ford), Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Subaru... and gasp recently Toyota because of the brake pedal recalls.

Last time I checked... Honda/Hyndai were tied out number one spot for quality. GM was Number 2... followed by Toyota and Ford... Nissan was 7.

German cars are dead bottom. There quality is totally shot to death. Worse car manufacturer nowaday are Volkswagen. Bottom 2 are Mercedez and Vokswagen. BMWs are on the bottom as well.

Mustang have been refined. Motor Trend and other car mags rate it better than M3 now in terms of handling. The new Boss Mustange will even kill the mighty Audi R8.
Old 05-17-11, 10:02 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsis250
When I bought my IS last year, I traded in a Mustang GT and was actually shopping for a 2010 GT, as they were giving them away, but decided, without planning, on the IS250 6pd..no regrets... The luxury and bang for your $, reliability is what sold me..
This is slightly off-topic but your comment made me think about it. What kinds of prices/discounts were they giving the 2010 GTs away for? I ask because I have to wonder what's going through the mind of people who bought 2010 GTs. They updated the styling in 2010 and I think made the Mustang far more attractive and more muscular/less bland. But they waited a year to do the powertrains. So those people who rushed out to buy the 2010 GTs got a better-looking car with 315 HP. They were probably ecstatic. Then the 2011 GT came out which was the same car but with 100 more HP, at 412. To add insult to injury, even the V6 in 2011 had 305 HP.

I would have been pissed if I'd bought a 2010 GT and then months later the exact same car came out with 100 more HP, UNLESS the price I paid for my 2010 was far less than what I'd have paid for the 2011 (this is what I don't know about).

This is why I feel bad when I see people driving refreshed (2010+) Mustangs with a GT emblem on the sides instead of 5.0...

Quick Reply: 2006 IS350 for 2011 Mustang GT Auto