IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Newbie researching 07, 08, 09 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 07:53 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Newbie researching 07, 08, 09 IS250

First off I have to say that there is a huge amount of information here. I've spent the last 2 days reading as much as humanly possible about the IS2's.

My wife is due a new vehicle within the next month. We have yet to drive the 250, but she loves the styling, reliability, overall quality, and I cannot disagree.
We are childless currently, but that is likely to change in the next 2 years. I've already read up on the available space for rearfacing seats, etc. Space is not a concern really, because I drive a CrewCab F150.

So with that being said, I've come to you for advice.
The 07-09 model years are within our budget. Somewhere between 20-50k miles on the clock. I've already ruled out the AWD, and 6MT, since the wife does not drive a standard, and she teaches, so in inclimate weather she goes no where, and again, we have a 4wd truck.

So hit me with some things that vary between the models. I know I want heated and vented seats. Navi is negligible as we have a Garmin. I know there was a minor refresh for 09, but besides some sculpting on the lower chin of the bumper, what are the diffs?

Thanks in advance for anything you can throw at me!
Old 05-25-11, 08:11 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a rear car seat one thing you may want as an options is the automatic rear sun-shade.

I don't have kids and can't find another reason for this feature (I've got it, never used it) .... but push of a button and the rear window is shaded - if the sun is going down at the rear of the car, it won't "blind" the baby
Old 05-25-11, 08:26 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say, that if your getting the 250, you might as well get the AWD with it, since it wont hurt you in anyway. pretty much a win win situation imo.

since your budget is 07~09, id say see which one you actually like, 07~08 is basically the same but 09 is where they made a few changes (Tail lights, face lift, smaller mirrors, etctec)
Old 05-25-11, 08:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Icy350
I would say, that if your getting the 250, you might as well get the AWD with it, since it wont hurt you in anyway. pretty much a win win situation imo.

Except that it costs more, gets inferior mileage, and is slower and heavier.

And in his situation wouldn't actually benefit him in any way for all those drawbacks.

Originally Posted by Icy350
since your budget is 07~09, id say see which one you actually like, 07~08 is basically the same but 09 is where they made a few changes (Tail lights, face lift, smaller mirrors, etctec)

Personally I think 08 is the best year... I dislike nearly all the cosmetic changes made from 09 onward...but I DO like the changes made 07->08 but mechanically there's not going to be much different between any of the 3 years EXCEPT that they improved the steering feel for 08.

For 07->08
The 08s offer slightly more rear leg room due to the new shape of the seatbacks... they changed the illuminated scuff plates from blue to white... they changed the 18" wheel color to the (IMHO nicer) liquid graphite... they added the useless coin holder to the dash... and they improved steering feel.

08->09 is a bunch of cosmetic changes which I almost universally dislike (turn signal indicators on the mirrors, the hideous lobster claw wheels, changes to the front/rear bumper/grill/tail light stuff, some minor interior trim changes, etc)... beyond that the paddles (which are fairly useless) now work without having to move the shifter to S first... and the one "good" change- the AUX jack stuff in the center console is relocated a bit so you don't need an angled plug to use it.
Old 05-25-11, 08:41 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

i have a 2010 which is the same as the 2009. to me i think the 09 is a nicer look as the 06-08. if your not modding and just driving then the 09 is a nice one for you. AWD is standard for the 250 unless you get the Manuel which you said your not i think. just take your time and fine the one you want. like any car the interior is as much important as the exterior.
Old 05-25-11, 08:50 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Except that it costs more, gets inferior mileage, and is slower and heavier.

And in his situation wouldn't actually benefit him in any way for all those drawbacks.

Personally I think 08 is the best year... I dislike nearly all the cosmetic changes made from 09 onward...but I DO like the changes made 07->08 but mechanically there's not going to be much different between any of the 3 years EXCEPT that they improved the steering feel for 08.

For 07->08
The 08s offer slightly more rear leg room due to the new shape of the seatbacks... they changed the illuminated scuff plates from blue to white... they changed the 18" wheel color to the (IMHO nicer) liquid graphite... they added the useless coin holder to the dash... and they improved steering feel.

08->09 is a bunch of cosmetic changes which I almost universally dislike (turn signal indicators on the mirrors, the hideous lobster claw wheels, changes to the front/rear bumper/grill/tail light stuff, some minor interior trim changes, etc)... beyond that the paddles (which are fairly useless) now work without having to move the shifter to S first... and the one "good" change- the AUX jack stuff in the center console is relocated a bit so you don't need an angled plug to use it.
Thanks Kurtz. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I understand that people are biased towards exactly what they bought/currently drive. The F150 forum I'm on is the same situation.
I appreciate your unbiased response. Very helpful!

AWD would be a concern if we did not have the truck. It'll plow through most anything, so the extra weight, mileage penalty, and potential for further maintenance due to additional rotating parts is not needed.

Good to know about the steering feel improvement for 08, as well as deeper scalloped seat backs to improve what little space there is in the back seat. That's a nice plus.

I think we'll be test driving the 250 this weekend depending on what we can find, and who will give me the least amount of sales pitch. We're buying through a wholesaler that is a friend of the family so the traditional purchase is out the window.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and gals, and keep it coming. This is exactly what I need to hear!
Old 05-25-11, 10:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imports4me
i have a 2010 which is the same as the 2009. to me i think the 09 is a nicer look as the 06-08. if your not modding and just driving then the 09 is a nice one for you. AWD is standard for the 250 unless you get the Manuel which you said your not i think. just take your time and fine the one you want. like any car the interior is as much important as the exterior.
Not sure why you think AWD is "standard"- it's certainly not... it's an entirely different model.

the 06-10 2IS is offered in 4 base models:

IS250 RWD manual
IS250 RWD automatic
IS250 AWD automatic
IS350 RWD automatic

2011 adds IS350 AWD automatic as a base model

And the 2010 has fairly major differences from the 09 as far as telematics type stuff...for example:

Nav is a 6th generation system (with features that actually come from THIS century like realtime traffic, though it's still lacking some features most Garmins have) rather than the antique 5th gen system the 06-09 cars had

ipod integration is now native rather than a kludgy add-on, and a USB port provided

bluetooth is now available apart from the nav option

Last edited by Kurtz; 05-25-11 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 10:34 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Can anyone educate me on integrating an iPod into an 08? Aside from the AUX input of course.
Old 05-25-11, 11:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MCDavis
Can anyone educate me on integrating an iPod into an 08? Aside from the AUX input of course.
There's a bunch of options... there's the Lexus unit, which uses the SAT input (so you can't have SAT -and- ipod, which kinda sucks IMHO).... then VAIStech and a number of other 3rd party companies which make their own integration units that go into the CD-changer (and does NOT remove the CD-changer use so you don't lose any functionality).

In theory you could also go with an aftermarket head unit that does ipod integration... but apart from the flyaudio nav unit (which has its own negatives) none of them will just bolt right in and look/fit properly without a lot of custom work.

Personally I just use the AUX jack... as long as you're connecting through the dock connector it sounds just as good, the steering wheel controls still work for volume, and it's all my own music so it's not like I need the display to inform me what I'm listening to.
Old 05-26-11, 03:16 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Does anyone else have anymore info to give on the 07-09s?
I think I'm going to lean towards the 08 based upon Kurtz' details. What else do you guys and gals have for me? I'd love to know what some of the females have to say about the IS250...if you're out there, please chime in.
Old 05-26-11, 09:18 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

a classic case of value vs. features.
Old 05-26-11, 09:45 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Female here! *raises hand*

I don't have a 250 but in terms of safety I can say that I have no regrets in buying my 350. So far with the safety features I have been VERY pleased. I feel very secure in it. There have been two occasions where I found myself in emergency situations while driving on the highway and the car did not lose it. At all. Here's one incident:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ime-today.html

Granted I had the F sport sway bars put in but I do feel more confident safety wise in this car more than any.
Old 05-26-11, 10:56 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you plan to have kids, get the GS....(or the RX)!

I can barely fit the carseat in the back.....
Old 05-26-11, 10:56 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Read your experience. Wow. Glad you and the car made it through that one unharmed.

Question for you all...Memory Seats, appears they were an option? Were they packaged together with anything...say Navi?
I would love to have them as I'm 6'3'' and the wife is 5'7" and it would make my entry to her car a little easier when I get to drive it.
Old 05-26-11, 11:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MCDavis
Read your experience. Wow. Glad you and the car made it through that one unharmed.

Question for you all...Memory Seats, appears they were an option? Were they packaged together with anything...say Navi?
I would love to have them as I'm 6'3'' and the wife is 5'7" and it would make my entry to her car a little easier when I get to drive it.
memory seats are in the sport package (pre 2011) and the luxury package

Nav has nothing to do with any package or other option (other than if you get Nav AND Mark Levinson together you can play movies on the nav screen)

Quick Reply: Newbie researching 07, 08, 09 IS250