IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Worst dealership story

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 09:08 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Seems like you and your bank manager did all that you could to prove to them the check was legit. It's as if unless you walked in there with cash you weren't going to get the car.

Hiding the car on inventory is ridiculous. They are probably fully aware of how they treated you once the bank manager called them and I bet the realized later that everything was in order. Seems to me they are hiding the fact you were even there by hiding the car, that way they can deny the fact that you had this issue, IN CASE you were to call corporate.

Hoping you have some kind of paperwork from them as proof. I wouldn't let them get away with this. This cost you and your bank manager time, money and agony.
the only proof I have is my loan documents (which I had a copy of because I went Fri and got it) It has the cars vin # on it. I have a copy of the check, and there is my word and the vice president of the banks word. I have several emails from there internet sales consultant, one including pictures of the car but nothing that says anything about price, etc.
Old 05-29-11, 09:12 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devorkion
I think the manager of this dealership is slighlty space cadet.

1. Why in the world would you deny a sale, and then make your primary exscuse that you do not want a negative survey - I THINK HE HAS GUARANTEED THAT NOW.
In addition, I think most of us here, if we got the deal we wanted, would ignore the petty bull**** that happened and start enjoying the car.

2. Is this dealership new to selling cars ? I have bought 3 cars from dealers with only a phone call with my buddy at the bank
when the sales lady told me about the negative survey, and I was being denied the sale I replied if I leave here with the car then I'll be fine. She said no they are absoulutely are denying me the sale.

I had it all handled on the phone as well, the bank called them I got a check. All I had to do was walk it, sign my papers, hand over my check and leave.
Old 05-29-11, 09:15 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 306and277
How old are you? This kinda **** happens to me all the time, me being 18 and all. No one takes you seriously, and they think they can take advantage of you. Like Micaiah said, DON'T let them get away with bull**** like this. That is just ridiculous.
Funny thing, Im 32 years old.
Old 05-29-11, 09:18 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devorkion
Damn Android,

Basically, all I did was have the dealership's finance guy discuss the rate and loan amount with my bank, and I drove the car off the lot !

Was your bank out of state?
Yes, I was in Atlanta ga, and I live in Stevenson al. I live in a really small town. About 180 miles away.

Whats really really frustrating is I actually went to the bank, had my buddy call, etc.....went to the dealersship, called and got insurance on the IS while I was there. I had it all done, papers signed, all I had to do was hand over my check.

Last edited by HAYSTACK; 05-29-11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-29-11, 09:20 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should really call the corporation and let us know what they say
Old 05-29-11, 09:24 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

I got this from lexus website, I'll call tues morning when they open back up

Vehicle or Dealership Experience: 1-800-255-3987
Old 05-29-11, 12:45 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

I forgot to add, that my contract was already signed, and when I went outside to call Walter who worked at the bank and went back inside all the papers, keys, and books where removed my the nice little bag they gave me.
Old 05-29-11, 02:43 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh well hell. THAT's a slap in the face!!
Old 05-29-11, 03:02 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

I def agree.
Old 05-29-11, 03:55 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

submitted a complaint with BBB, and emailed the owner. Prob a lost cause, but makes fell feel a bit better. Still pissed about it.
Old 05-29-11, 09:52 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

The more I think about it, when i was back with the financial manager, he said I could pay 2500 down and it would be refunded when the banks check cleared..He had nothing in front of him. He had no form, or contract saying Id be paying a 2500 deposit and it will be refunded when the funds clear. You would think he would have had some form, assuring me he wasnt going to scam me.
Old 05-30-11, 05:26 AM
IsItISC
Driver School Candidate

forget Lexus Corporate they are only in it to help the dealers NOT the customers.. another reason you should be glad you didnt get a lexus.. Ive had no Help whatsover with Lexus Corp even after they heard all the things the dealer did to my car AFTer I bought it.. within 2 weeks.. the detail shop at the dealer.. scratched it 10 inches. dented the door... replaced the window TWICE.. cuz they didnt fix it right the first time..and thats when it had 200 miles on it.. you would think that corp would of looked into it...Instead they said they didnt "see the problem" since all the dents and windows and scratches were fixed.. uh yeah after they ruined it..This car sucks. the PB dealer is a rip off and the detail dept has NO CLUE how to treat a new car.. OBVIOUSLY>
Old 05-30-11, 08:04 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at it from the dealer side, somebody negotiates the price over the phone, agrees on the car, and then comes in with a paper check that looks dodgy. Something tweaked them that this could be a scam when phony checks are all over the place. IT HAPPENS, and they have probably been a victim before. So they nix the deal to protect themselves. The reason was NOT because of a possibility of a bad review, it was they didn't believe the check or the buyer was authentic from the beginning. The situation degraded over the period while the check was being authenticated, who knows what was said during the heat of the moment. Shake it off and move on. And you might want to think of how you are going to do this in the future. Also, are there any negatives in your credit file that would raise a flag to them? Even though you are paying cash they probably took a peek at your FICO score during the signing phase. Issues there? Repo's, bad credit, bankruptcy, late pays? It all is taken into account these days.
Old 05-30-11, 09:27 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Look at it from the dealer side, somebody negotiates the price over the phone, agrees on the car, and then comes in with a paper check that looks dodgy. Something tweaked them that this could be a scam when phony checks are all over the place. IT HAPPENS, and they have probably been a victim before. So they nix the deal to protect themselves. The reason was NOT because of a possibility of a bad review, it was they didn't believe the check or the buyer was authentic from the beginning. The situation degraded over the period while the check was being authenticated, who knows what was said during the heat of the moment. Shake it off and move on. And you might want to think of how you are going to do this in the future. Also, are there any negatives in your credit file that would raise a flag to them? Even though you are paying cash they probably took a peek at your FICO score during the signing phase. Issues there? Repo's, bad credit, bankruptcy, late pays? It all is taken into account these days.
Nope...If had bad credit I wouldnt be able to get a loan for 36k, not to mention I own my own house. Im not disputing the checks valadation.....I seen the dealers side. That is why I went the extra mile, and did what I had to do. They did run a credit check, the sales lady said it was to proove I was who I was, and took and made a copy of my drivers license and that was included with papers I signed with my contract. I just think they were trying to get extra cash, and there was no way I was going to had them a check over for 36k and let somebody drive it 180 from Atlanta to my house.
Old 05-30-11, 09:49 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
The more I think about it, when i was back with the financial manager, he said I could pay 2500 down and it would be refunded when the banks check cleared..He had nothing in front of him. He had no form, or contract saying Id be paying a 2500 deposit and it will be refunded when the funds clear. You would think he would have had some form, assuring me he wasnt going to scam me.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but this is actually a bit standard for Toyota and Lexus as it's a way of insuring themselves in case of fraudulant checks when going through an outside bank. My wife got a direct check from her credit union, and she was required to sign a "backup" financing, normally through Toyota/Lexus financial, in case the check bounces. I didn't have to do this for my old Toyota or my Lexus because I financied through Toyota/Lexus, and they searched outside banks for me (instead of me doing it myself).

In your case, the $2,500 would be held until the check cleared. You will get your money back; this isn't some fly by night little used car dealership you find in ghetto areas of your bad nieghborhood. If you were a thief, which I am not accusing you of, you would be hesitant to plop down $2,500 when you can go out and try to scam a car without putting anything out of your pocket. Yes, it sucks that $2,500 would have been basically held ransom, but you would have gotten your car. As for the paperwork, it comes out a page at a time, e.g., prints form, sign, prints form, sign, etc... You wouldn't even needed to get your bank involved either.

TL;DR (too long; didn't read): Let them hold the $2,500, use your banks check, drive home in your newly purchased car, wait 2-3 days while the bank's check clears, and get your money refunded.

Quick Reply: Worst dealership story