IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Worst dealership story

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 06:37 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Worst dealership story

Ive been lurking on the forum for awhile, and hoped to have my first lexus today.

I went on truecars.com and was contacted by a Lexus of south atlanta. The salesman gave me a price on a 2011 is250 (white w/black leather) It had every option minus nav. A week went on and finally a price was reached. So I had my bank contact them, and got all the info they needed and the bank issued me a check.

Basically all I had to do was drive 180 miles and hand of a check for 36,159 that would be minus tax considering I would be paying that in my state. I called this morning told them when I would be arriving, made the 2.5hr drive. I arrived and had to wait 1hour before the saleslady got to me. I got all the paper work done, and all they had to do was take my check. The financial manager said there was a problem with the check, and said there wasnt a watermark etc...basically said it could be fake. He said I could put down 2500 now and drive it home or have it delivered via someone drive it to my house 180 miles....I said no to both and let him know that I was upset. I had my bank manager go to the bank on his day off, and fax proper documentation for the check to prove it was legit. I was outside in my car waiting for the fax and the general manager sent the saleslady outside to tell me they are refusing to sell the car to me. They was afraid I was going to give them a bad review on a survey I was going to get in the mail after buying a new car. So basically they called me, made me an offer, I drove 2.5hours and wasted my entire day and they refused me the car and I had a check in my hand. They also took the car off inventory and hid it so no other dealer could see it on the net and get it. I have no idea how I didnt go to jail, but Im mostly venting here but should I try and contact somebody higher up and voice my complaint?
Old 05-28-11, 06:49 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but your story sounds a bit shaky.

No watermark on check (bank check??? or personal check???). I'd think it was a fake too.

You can call 'your bank manager' and have him/her come in on their day off? Is your last name Gates or Buffet?

Dealerships are in the business of selling cars..so if certain red flags pop up..they are likely doing it as a CYA.
Old 05-28-11, 06:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry about your experience. Any other place closer you can go?
Old 05-28-11, 06:59 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

no no...it wasnt a fake come on man. Its a small town bank,not wells fargo etc...Ive used their checks many of times to buy cars before. all the loan info, etc was faxed. It was a certified cashiers check from my bank made out to the dealer. He is the vice president of the bank and lives here in town.....it was no big deal for him to go and do this for me. Point was I did what I had to do to prove the check was legit. I thought Dealerships where in it to sell cars but apparently not.
Old 05-28-11, 07:01 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Sorry about your experience. Any other place closer you can go?
Ive called 5 dealers alone today.....basically they dont have the color combo in inventory.
Old 05-28-11, 07:06 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

In the end, it was this survey as the excuse for not selling me the car. The proper documentation..his business license, all records tied to my loan where faxed. It wasnt about the check at this point. I have never been refused to be solded a car in my entire life. Im was about to drop 36k, and thats a good bit of money to me, and to be treated like I was from the beginning and to be told that they werent going to sell me the car after I drove all that way.
Old 05-28-11, 07:10 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

These cars are made every day. The color combo will show up. You may have to widen your search. While frustrating all it means is this deal was not meant to be.

One question. When you said fully loaded except nav, what options were on the car? It is weird a dealer would order a fully loaded car without nav. Even in the IS 350 you will almost never find a truely fully loaded car.
Old 05-28-11, 07:24 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

It had heated/ventilated seats, grey maple wood trim (not a fan) HID lights with the LED running lights, 18" wheels, rear spoiler, blue tooth, xm radio just to name a few...Not sure to the full extent of the options but those are the main one I can name off hand. I keep hearing the earth quake in japan is affecting the inventory. I think the sticker was around 37k and the same car with nav was priced at 39K and the Fsport was at 40k

Last edited by HAYSTACK; 05-28-11 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-28-11, 07:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

They was afraid I was going to give them a bad review on a survey I was going to get in the mail after buying a new car
lol darn straight I'd give them a bad survey. Most sales and service are afraid of these surveys because it doesn't matter the excuse. If you don't get a perfect "10" score they usually lose their bonuses. Some sales people I know of take the time to explain the survey to their potential customers before they make the deal.
Old 05-28-11, 07:42 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
lol darn straight I'd give them a bad survey. Most sales and service are afraid of these surveys because it doesn't matter the excuse. If you don't get a perfect "10" score they usually lose their bonuses. Some sales people I know of take the time to explain the survey to their potential customers before they make the deal.
The sales lady made it clear that she hoped I would give and acceptional survey...that was of course before I was talked to like I was a criminal. I understood their point of the check validation, but If they had started the paperwork when I got their, and didnt have to wait and hour they could have contacted my bank before it closed. I was pissed but leaving with the car would have made up for it, and I thought having the proper things faxed in would have been enough. I could have had cash at that point and they wouldnt have sold me car.
Old 05-28-11, 07:47 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Im ranting here mostly but wouldnt you guys be pissed? Drive 2.5 hours in ATL traffic.. Your spending 36k and have somebody tell you this? Hell I even got insurance on the car while I was there.
Old 05-28-11, 07:50 PM
SimD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
yea thats what lexus of portland did with me just bought my car recently 2010 is250 6 months ago and they had great customer service from the day I walked in to look at cars and when i bought my SGM and still are great when I get services done there.
Old 05-28-11, 07:55 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Whats ****ty, is they took the car off inventory so no other dealer can get it. I drove over to Nalley lexus in Roswell on the way home, and asked them if they could get it and they couldnt because it wasnt showing up. The general manager didnt have enough ***** to come tell me to my face that they werent going to sell me the car, he sent the lady to do his dirty work.
Old 05-28-11, 08:02 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

36k for a is250, seems a lil over price even with the package. i might be wrong. sorry to hear that. keep searching, be patience, it will pay off. took me 2-3 months to wait for the right car
Old 05-28-11, 08:05 PM
nastyemu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call lexus corporate and dob them in

Quick Reply: Worst dealership story