IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any good cheap wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 03:41 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk08
These are nice, have tires, and seem very reasonable.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...k-w-tires.html

I know they are not 18s.. but .. do you really want 18s? :P

They are not all very cheap... lol.
Yea, that guy already pmed me. Its an awesome offer and the wheels look great. But i think ive actually decided on getting a dark silver/hyper silver color since i already have black powdercoated wheels. I want a bit more contrast. Also i want 19s but i have an AWD and im lowering it. I feel like i will prob rub or have to roll my fender, which i wanna avoid. and i saw pics with 18s lowered and it still looks hot
Old 06-02-11, 03:44 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
Yea, that guy already pmed me. Its an awesome offer and the wheels look great. But i think ive actually decided on getting a dark silver/hyper silver color since i already have black powdercoated wheels. I want a bit more contrast. Also i want 19s but i have an AWD and im lowering it. I feel like i will prob rub or have to roll my fender, which i wanna avoid. and i saw pics with 18s lowered and it still looks hot
Naa just get the right size tires and don't go too low.
Old 06-02-11, 04:14 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
i love how everyone is acting like hes gonna take his car to carshows and people are gonna judge his wheels...

-quote snip-

if you cant afford expensive multi piece wheels there is nothing wrong with sporting cheap wheels as long as they look decent on your ride...

-pic snip-

however i strongly recommend lowering the car on coils before you buy any wheels!!!
Bro ive bent volk wheels...there is a pothole for every rim...plus this fear mongering has got to stop...u buy cheap wheels and ull crash and die
while all valid, let me ask you this:

given that build quality of replica wheels is typically unknown to questionable at best, would you go w/ replica wheels?
Old 06-02-11, 05:04 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my reasons for not buying cheaper replica wheels are 1. I take my car to shows and meets, 2. I can afford better wheels, 3. I love 3 piece wheels. But I am actually considering getting a set of the varrstoen bbs replicas to switch between 20s and 19s whenever I feel like it. But I'm definitely not gonna bemore concerned about my safety with a set of varrstoens than with a set of works.
Old 06-02-11, 07:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Well my reasons for not buying cheaper replica wheels are 1. I take my car to shows and meets, 2. I can afford better wheels, 3. I love 3 piece wheels.
if the issue in question was personal/consumer preference, you've hit the nail right on the head.

but that wasn't what i was asking.

(btw, "better wheels" can mean a lot of things...)

But I am actually considering getting a set of the varrstoen bbs replicas to switch between 20s and 19s whenever I feel like it. But I'm definitely not gonna bemore concerned about my safety with a set of varrstoens than with a set of works.
so regardless of product quality (read: durability, structural integrity, etc.), you would buy replica wheels.
Old 06-02-11, 10:28 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Lmao about the FUD going on about reps or cheaper rims just because they ain't volk and other type of known super expensive luxury/racing wheels. I've used reps and cheaper wheels on my other cars before. Raced on them, hit monster pot holes hone over 120mph with them for 20yrs. Some can afford them, some cant, some have other more important priorities than spending on 4-5k rims that can also be wrecked/dented/cracked or even stolen. I got reps on my car because I didn't care to spend 3 times that amount on some rims that can easily get damaged in bayarea / SF roads or get stolen, nor could I care if people look down on reps, I'm not competing for carshows or anything so I chose the rep. I could have bought some vs-xx but I have other priorities with that extra cash. To each to his own. If you can easily shell out 4k for some better brand rims more power to u, just don't knock those that CHOOSE to go the other route. As long as your happy with your choice then that's what matters, it's your car

For those that can and able to spend major $$$$ on their cars, props to u.

But yes do frequent the for sale ads here and other forums as you might find a deal on some " AUTHENTIC " wheels for a great price.

My IS is my stop gap car until I get my car of the future an E63 which I will be spending major scroll on.

Last edited by 650IS350; 06-02-11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 11:22 PM
SoSoKal
Driver School Candidate

Hey~~ if u have a lexus, u do not people to say: "damn, this is a sick ride, and when they look at the wheel they will be like this guy is cheap." so save up ur money and buy a good one. This is the first time I own a car, and I bought some cheap wheel, for the people don't know cars, they say it looks good, but for the pros, they can tell right away. So I'm selling my 19" kyowa rims now!!! and trying to replace them with Volks. Hopefully someone will buy it on craigslist, so I can get new set. :-(
Old 06-02-11, 11:47 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

wow Mashina pointed out some nice replica wheels. If the guy cant afford the badass wheels and just want a change of image on his car, then he should just get what he can afford. There will always be different arguments of "should i go with authentic or replicas" topic and they all are valid.

to the OP, if I saw your ride with replicas or not, I would give you a nice complement regardless. I am just an average guy that appreciates a good looking car.

In the end, just do what you feel comfortable. Just remember to take pics to show us what u go with =)
Old 06-03-11, 03:01 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

I agree with alot of the above. I highly doubt replica wheels are going to crumble apart on the road while your driving as some in this topic seem to be implying. As for pot holes, while driving just be wary and avoid them; which is what i'd expect anyone to do regardless of wheels. Again, I highly doubt the guys with volks try hitting potholes....

When i had my 06 IS250 I had Motegi Racing wheels.. they were $200 each, 1 piece cast. Cheap. I lived in the suburbs of NY and the roads were terrible. I flew down dirt roads and banged over plenty of huge potholes, and never had an issue. Sure they could've snapped on any of them, but so could any wheel if it hits right.

If you can't afford real ones, but don't like the stock wheels (I know i really don't like them), there is no shame in putting on cheap good looking wheels. Splurge an extra $50-60 and get Lexus center caps and no one will know, its none of their business anyways.
Old 06-03-11, 05:29 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

I see it the following way:
You buy "nice" rims:
$4000 for the set of rims (~$1000/ea.)
$1000 for the tires ($250ea.)
- Now if something bad happens and you need a new rim and tire that is another $1200 just like that.... so one day of bad luck your set now costs $6200
- You've just dropped $5000 on a wheel/tire setup that could very well be victim to a pothole
- You rub on a curb or something, you're really pissed because that was a VERY expsensive whoopsie-daisy

You buy "cheap" rims/tire package"
$1000 for total package (4 rims and 4 tires) - $125 per rim and per tire
- At these prices someone with cheap rims could potentially replace a rim/tire due to bad luck 20+ times before they equal the cost of the expensive rims (albeit its a PITA the blow a tire and rim)

Honestly, you could buy 20!!! more rims/tires with the prices difference.... 4 more whole sets!

I also see benefits from the resale... sure expensive rims will sell for more after being used but I would guess from a % standpoint they lose more value than "cheap" rims.

When I had to buy my new set (due to bad luck - which I don't think ANY rim would have survived) due to the down payment from my car, engagement ring, and paying that semester's tuition (which I actually pay for, not my parents) all within a 3 week span my checking account was hurting... it was a no-brainer to get "cheap" rims... and looking back and knowning what I know now, even with a more money to play with I would do the same exact thing.
Old 06-03-11, 05:36 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
You buy "nice" rims:
- Now if something bad happens and you need a new rim and tire that is another $1200 just like that.... so one day of bad luck your set now costs $6200
- You've just dropped $5000 on a wheel/tire setup that could very well be victim to a pothole
- You rub on a curb or something, you're really pissed because that was a VERY expsensive whoopsie-daisy

- At these prices someone with cheap rims could potentially replace a rim/tire due to bad luck 20+ times before they equal the cost of the expensive rims (albeit its a PITA the blow a tire and rim)

Honestly, you could buy 20!!! more rims/tires with the prices difference.... 4 more whole sets!

I also see benefits from the resale... sure expensive rims will sell for more after being used but I would guess from a % standpoint they lose more value than "cheap" rims.

When I had to buy my new set (due to bad luck - which I don't think ANY rim would have survived) due to the down payment from my car, engagement ring, and paying that semester's tuition (which I actually pay for, not my parents) all within a 3 week span my checking account was hurting... it was a no-brainer to get "cheap" rims... and looking back and knowning what I know now, even with a more money to play with I would do the same exact thing.
OR you could just be a careful driver like everyone else with expensive wheels

Varrstoen Wheels + Tires will be about 1400-1500 for brand new wheels and tires that actually look good
Old 06-03-11, 05:38 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
You buy "nice" rims:

Yeah but you know the old saying when it comes to cars... gotta pay to play.

It's all whatever though.. If I wrecked 2 $1000 wheels I would just call my insurance company and pay my $250 deductible.
Old 06-03-11, 07:10 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

gotta pay to play.
LMAO @ that saying. we all paid to play, if you have a IS then you have already paid to play. The modification part is up to the discretion of the individual.

OP remember you are either in school or completing soon. Life is still starting and you have lots of years to buy better things and WAY better cars in your future. Buy what you can currently afford or want, you will be able to afford better things in life as the years go on and make use of that degree in the future.
Old 06-03-11, 07:19 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 650IS350
LMAO @ that saying. we all paid to play, if you have a IS then you have already paid to play. The modification part is up to the discretion of the individual.

OP remember you are either in school or completing soon. Life is still starting and you have lots of years to buy better things and WAY better cars in your future. Buy what you can currently afford or want, you will be able to afford better things in life as the years go on and make use of that degree in the future.
IS are not that expensive. Same price as like a loaded Mustang GT? :P

With that said the stock wheels on these cars look better than cheap aftermarket wheels. Would be better just lowering it.
Old 06-03-11, 07:24 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...k-w-tires.html

there found you one 1300 shipped with tires..

Quick Reply: Any good cheap wheels?