IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 01:25 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ pretty true. ive seen jags sliding from the rear going @ about 1 mph on a slightly incline banking turn on a snowy day... i cant confirm on the tire though. i think winter tire will help rwd to some extent. awd is a safer bet if you are not a good driver and/or dont have the time to swap into winter tires at winter time. i think fwd is a parasite of automotive industry... companies make fwd to save cost. u cannot turn and accelerate safely under same wheels... if you drive aggressively...
Old 06-23-11, 01:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFan77
I disagree man. I've lived where it snows my whole life. I've driven all 3 types of vehicles in the snow. I gurantee if you take a RWD vehicle with snow tires and set it next to a plain old run in the mill FWD vehicle with regular tires and set them both at the bottom of a hill and say "GO", that RWD is going to be spinning it's wheels.
But you're wrong.

This isn't an opinion thing.

I mean you are factually, provably, wrong.

I even posted the direct quotes from an objective, authoritative, source that tested this.

On grades up to 10-15% the RWD car went right up the hill in the snow.

And the FWD car didn't do significantly better than the RWD car did.... both having problems once the grade got steeper:

Both four-wheel-drivers, even shod with stock all-season tires, were able to ascend the 30-percent grade, whereas the 2wd cars could only conquer the 10- and 15-percent grades.

See? Your opinion is trumped by actual fact.

This was the only test where the RWD/FWD cars actually failed at any task in snow or ice when given proper tires. Climbing hills greater than 15%.

Which isn't a common thing most drivers ever do if they don't live in the mountains.

You can certainly believe you aren't comfortable driving RWD in the snow... but to suggest the vehicle isn't capable is simply not true.

I'm not talking about the idiots whom think they can drive fast in the snow, yeah they'll always get stuck. I'm talking, getting going from a red light, RWD will be useless...i don't care what tires you got, and i don't care what a magazine reports. I'm talking real world driving experience.
So am I

You're wrong.

Not even by a little bit.

My first car was a 1973 Pontiac LeMans. With a 5.7 liter V8 engine.

RWD.

It did what you describe perfectly well with snow tires.

I had a similar car when I lived in ontario canada where they get a bit of snow you might have heard. And it also drove fine in the snow with proper tires.

Not only does car and driver say you're wrong, real life does too.

But here's C&D again-

On ice, with the traction-control system switched on, the rwd Benz could barely move on stock tires, but it launched easily on winter tires

Maybe our difference of opinion lies here...are your thinking of the 1-3 inches of snow? I'm talking 12 inches + that we get up here every other week between December and Mid March. A RWD car is nothing more than a road block.

Again- I've driven after snowfalls that deep in Canada. With RWD.

It was just fine.

Granted they did plow the roads decently well up there during and after snowfalls... but honestly, after proper tires, vehicle clearance will matter more in deep snow though- which is why any sport sedan doesn't make a ton of sense compared to a truck if you're regularly driving in deep snow someplace they do NOT clear the roads much...

But are you claiming that nobody where you live ever went anywhere from December through Mid-March if they didn't own a 4x4 truck for all the decades that cars sold in the US were virtually all RWD?'

and ALL of the above ignores that the OP is, indeed, from Florida... where nobody gets 12+ inches of snow

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-23-11 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-23-11, 01:46 PM
LexusFan77
Driver School Candidate

Not going to debate ya man. I don't have time to sit and read studies. I just know what i know from being behind the wheel. I can tell you're not going to let the issue drop, so i will. I agree to disagree. Can we at least agree that Lexus rules?
Old 06-23-11, 01:49 PM
Veritasxe
Driver School Candidate

People who are defending RWD obviously don't live in placed that experience extreme snow fall...
Old 06-23-11, 01:52 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veritasxe
People who are defending RWD obviously don't live in placed that experience extreme snow fall...

Does massachusetts count? 4 storms over 20" this winter.

IS350 RWD owner here...I'm still alive after 5 winters

RWD + winter tires = The safest I feel in a CAR in the snow
Old 06-23-11, 02:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Not going to debate ya man. I don't have time to sit and read studies. I just know what i know from being behind the wheel. I can tell you're not going to let the issue drop, so i will. I agree to disagree. Can we at least agree that Lexus rules?
I agree with that

But if you don't believe me how about your eyes?

Here's a guy in an M3 driving to work with snow tires-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uui4HgHrug

Don't think that's enough snow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofVN44Qd10

that is two RWD cars in a foot of snow.

They're drifting for much of it (on purpose) but several times in the video when they're done with a drift they straighten the car out, and go in a straight line back to the other side.

Just fine.

With RWD.

In 12 inches of snow.

You know, like you said was impossible.

And those are two old RWD beaters... a modern car will have no problem with proper tires.

Seriously- if a driver can't move a RWD car in some snow, with proper tires, the fault is with the driver, not the car.
Old 06-23-11, 02:08 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

Man you don't need AWD in South Florida. Get the RWD. My car has no issues in the rain.. get good tires.

And I agree with Kurtz 100%. I'm from Chicago originally. Snow tires on RWD work just fine.
Old 06-23-11, 03:45 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And you can just go back to the other thread where I showed you the objective testing that found that proper tires are all you need in ALL winter conditions except going up steep hills.

RWD with proper tires had no problems in snow, ice, etc on anything less than a 20% or greater grade hill. Since you like pictures, here's what such a hill looks like:

If you get a lot of snow and the roads look like that, sure, AWD!

otherwise, not so much

From car and driver:

Regarding ice on NORMAL roads:

On the handling of AWD vs RWD with proper tires: (this was after having tested slalom and skidpad in the snow)

On AWD vs RWD in general-
I'm sorry man, from my personal experience, I blew by MANY people who were both in FWD and RWD cars, this winter while they were stuck and I was not. Same roads... I even have summer tires on the thing.

You can bark all you want, I have a friend who works at a tire store and had blizzacks on his bmw. He called ME for a ride to work, claiming he couldn't get out of his plowed driveway, because it's a hill. I had no problem driving up and down it.
Old 06-23-11, 03:46 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

my $.02.... i don't think how deep the snow affects the driving characteristics of the car (1cm-2ft=BS), it's how icy/slippery the road is. with fresh powder a car still has a decent amount of traction. it's when that powder becomes packed and turns into ice. now that's a problem. any car regardless, on an icy road (unless you have studded tires or chains) will be fishtailing and sliding everywhere...
Old 06-23-11, 03:47 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

In his world, everyone just bought new tires 1 week before a snow fall. In his world somehow rear wheel drive out performs a full fledged 4wd with lockers.

He lives in a dream world. It's ok.
Old 06-23-11, 03:49 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by intrinsic
my $.02.... i don't think how deep the snow affects the driving characteristics of the car (1cm-2ft=BS), it's how icy/slippery the road is. with fresh powder a car still has a decent amount of traction. it's when that powder becomes packed and turns into ice. now that's a problem. any car regardless, on an icy road (unless you have studded tires or chains) will be fishtailing and sliding everywhere...
However, when I was driving up hills on 1/2 inch of ice this year, my AWD was doing great! I Never got stuck once. I just drove by all other 2wd cars. Front and rear. it didn't matter. Next winter I'll put my gro pro on the hood and we can all watch how great RWD cars do in the ICE
Old 06-24-11, 06:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jmags
In his world, everyone just bought new tires 1 week before a snow fall. In his world somehow rear wheel drive out performs a full fledged 4wd with lockers.

He lives in a dream world. It's ok.
No, in my world people who aren't idiots who have NO IDEA what month of the year it begins to snow actually swap their winter tires on in time.

At least that's what everyone I knew growing up in NY did... and the folks I knew when I lived in Canada too..

Maybe you where you live everyone is just SHOCKED AND SURPISED every winter... "What is the strange white stuff that we have never seen before despite it coming down EVERY SINGLE YEAR?.... if only we had known!"

And in that world RWD does outperform AWD on all-seasons for everything except climbing steep hills.

It's the same world C&D lives in apparently since when they tested them they came to the same conclusions.... here's their conclusion again BTW, with a bit bolded by me-

Four-wheel drive helps get cars going. When it comes time to brake or change direction on low-traction surfaces, the extra mass of the driveline becomes more of a detriment. Folks who live in hilly places that get snow may need the climbing capability of four-wheel drive. If it snows a lot in those hilly places, they should probably invest in winter tires, too. Even flat-landers who happen to have steep driveways may wish to consider a four-wheel-driver.

Almost everyone else will most likely be better served by using winter tires. Acceleration takes longer, but in an emergency, the handling behavior and improved lateral grip of two-wheel drive and winter tires -- in the slippery stuff -- are the safer bets.

because the traction between the tire and the road is vastly more important than how many wheels have drivetrain power sent to them.

If you live in a different world where physics doesn't apply you probably have some awesome youtube videos to post of stuff floating in the air and whatnot... throw up some links!

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-24-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-24-11, 10:39 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Nice picture. That is actually in SF..
Old 06-24-11, 01:51 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what people did around here a few years ago, but I was born and raised in Saint-Petersburg Russia and over there just about every car was RWD. The only way people got around was by having studded tires. You could forget about driving in the winter unless you had studded tires.

Now, compare an AWD with winter tires to a RWD with winter tires and an AWD will outperform RWD in just about any test. Maybe not stopping due to being heavier by a few pounds, but still won't be a problem.

In CT, I've driven FWD cars with all season tires and had traction problems. Still managed to get around but not very safely. Then I had an AWD Subaru WRX and it got around same town in same conditions way better with BALD summer performance tires. I needed more room for stopping, but traction was miles better. And that car didn't even have traction control or any snow modes like the Lexus.

With that said, it's very tough to get my AWD Lexus sideways in snow with all seasons and traction control on in snow mode. Try it, it's practically impossible. I can't say the same for RWD.
Old 06-25-11, 12:04 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need to participate and communicate in a way that is respectful to the opinions of others. It does us no good when someone asks a question and we start jawing at each other back and forth trying to figure out who is right and who is wrong. I admit I have fallen into that same level of trying to be right and jabbing back and forth. I have also learned that it's really counterproductive and I'm embarrassed by all the back and forth. What we should be doing is promoting a sense of community and sharing knowledge with each other.

We should spend less time trying to be right and defending our position and spend more time helping people who ask us questions. We should also stop ridiculing folks for asking a question that has already been asked. If their posting annoys you then ignore it altogether or redirect them to the proper link if you can. Otherwise, we run the risk of alienating new members. The same person who you called an idiot for creating a thread that already exists may be the same person who helps you out of a jam with a situation on your car. I know we all have the capacity to help each other so let's stop all the back and forth and focus on the question being asked.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD