IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

quick- $800 for my dealer to do....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 03:21 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some people are intimidated to do brakes if they havent had much experience with them..... Most people would freak out if if they knew how stuff was made and what holds stuff together etc...

If you are capable of changing a tire you can change brake pads/rotors on an IS.
Old 06-07-11, 05:06 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...ripping this guy apart...haha

$800 for brakes, or a job of this size isn't the worst I've heard....not even close.

A coworker of mine got a quote from Midas for $900 for 4 rotors and all new pads on his 2006 altima. Another big chain place quoted him $800, and his local mechanic quoted him $600. I replaced all 4 pads and rotors for him for $216 from AutoZone.

this being said, I have a barn, all the tools to do a job like this...be it simple...and the experience of 20+ brake jobs.

I dont think you got screwed by Lexus. I think you got a dealer's price on a brake job...elevated a little bit because its a Lexus.

The forum community in general is a biased environment. Forums are full of modders, customizers, and people that do most of their own work. For every forum member who does their own brake job and oil change, there are 200 people going to Midas, or the dealer to have routine maintenance done.

Also, DIY or DIY attempts can be dangerous. I've seen people on here make comments that make me shiver. Like someone trying to attempt a spark plug change on their IS350 who asked what Cross Threading was. If you dont have the confidence or knowledge to attempt a job...don't do it! Pay someone who knows what they're doing...especially when it comes to something like brakes, spark plugs, or other critical components that can be dangerous or extremely expensive to fix if done incorrectly.

If you can afford a lexus, you can afford $800...dont feel bad about it. You have all new brakes for another 50,000 miles at least.

Well that's my $.02...now you only spent $799.98
Old 06-07-11, 05:09 PM
306and277
Driver School Candidate

Lol holy ****, we charge $50 labor for all four corners for pads at our mobile mech. shop.
Old 06-07-11, 06:22 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I went to a Lexus dealer two weeks ago to have my IS's brakes checked because of wierd noise when I braked. They fixed the problem by cutting the front rotors and replaced my front brake pads and all cost me $342. Only the front though. I knew they were probably overpriced but I just was too lazy to shop around and bring my car to other shop.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 06-07-11 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 06:34 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, you got ripped to shreds.

I was quoted 750 for 4 new rotors, and 4 sets of pads installed.

I asked on here, and someone told me to measure how thick the rotors were, turns out they were only 1 MILLIMETER worn. Which meant I didn't need 4 new rotors AT ALL. Then someone said "this is the minimum MM for your brake pads" turned out the FRONT TWO sets of brake pads only needed to be replaced.

I went to advance auto, slapped down 36 bucks, went home, took me 1 hour to swap em out and I was done.

It's been 6 months and they still work like brand new. No negative effects at all.

You got ripped a new ******* bro
Old 06-07-11, 06:44 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^----no need to try and rub anything in. To each his own. For some people, their time is worth more than that amount of money, and thats fine too.
Old 06-08-11, 05:54 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I showed them how much the rotors and brakes were at sewell so they matched the prices which brought it down to about 700 bucks got that my aux port replaced, the fuel sensor recall, the cam shaft (clank at start up) fix, and an oil change they had my car 3 days and the whole time I had a 2011 ES350 which i used to go to Sams Club and Home Depot...both is very difficult with the IS250 or SC430 so all and all not bad considering I bill 150 an hr when I do consulting work so for me it was worth me not having to invest the time...it was awesome too cause i got a free tank of gas because of the recall and i rolled in on E thanks for all the input...i know i should have done it myself but time wouldnt permit that any time soon i looked at my rotors and they had a bad lip in them since my front brakes were gone they DID try to machine them but they were under spec and they did not charge me for trying to machine them.
Old 06-08-11, 10:53 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

this is a interesting thread. i see points from all sides on this, but i personally would never even consider paying 800 bucks on a brake job for any car unless its was a brake upgrade to a bbk system of some sort. but then on the flip side some people will pay that for piece of mind that the dealer did it. my most expensive car a 2005 ferrari f430 didnt even cost me 800 bucks to change the front brakes.... lol but i did the brake job myself . just changed the pads. i change my oil on that car at the local porshce dealership cause he charges 600 bucks to do the whole thing. the local ferrari dealership charges 1400, go figure. i just keep my reciepts for all the history on my cars i dont go updating stuff on websites.

some people just arent DIY type of people they would rather pay someone else to do. and some people just feel weird about taking a luxury car to side shop or place like pep boys or something. thats just the way the world works. like someone else said on here almost all certified service people can work on any car. especially when it comes to standard stuff like brakes,oil changes, and rotors. i myself just go where i can trust i am getting good service at a good price if i cant do it myself i. some serious stuff you gotta go to the dealer but brakes isnt one of those things.

i guess at the end of the day its all just a state of mind , you either are going to go for the deal and do it yourself or spend the money and just move on.

i think everyone has valid points. no real wrong choice here.
Old 06-08-11, 10:55 PM
IS144
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a pretty low quote for new rotors too. After working for Lexus, i can tell you i saw that job go for over 1k all day.

it is an easy job to do in your own garage though. I'd do it myself
Old 06-09-11, 07:15 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

Which typically need replacing first, the front or rear brakes?
Old 06-09-11, 07:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tulsa1
Which typically need replacing first, the front or rear brakes?
Front, since they do most of the actual work. Most cars I've owned you replace the fronts 2x more often than the rears. (and in either case you typically replace pads 2-3 times more often than rotors)
Old 06-09-11, 04:22 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Lexus of Tampa Bay did 4 new sets of pads, turned all 4 rotors, and replaced a right rear caliper that i did see was seized, for $650. So you're being taken.
Old 06-09-11, 04:23 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Oh wait I paid $150 for all this thanks to that $500 gift card.
Old 06-09-11, 04:27 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I had my rotors REPLACED not turned so completely different.
Old 06-09-11, 04:41 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I know the difference, that was the first time ever I didn't have the time to do it myself in the last 17 years. I hated to even had to pay $650 for mine. I just think that yours is a bit much. But all good.

Quick Reply: quick- $800 for my dealer to do....