IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tires Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 10:01 AM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Funny, I drive on the Hankooks every day and they feel great. In fact the nearest the C&D story comes to a criticism is how SOFT they feel (which would be great for those "not racing" conditions you discuss)... and in fact C&D had this to say about them

Quieter than the PS2s too.

My wife has the Conti (DWS) on her SC by the way, they don't handle as well, and certainly don't feel any better.
Awesome, someone who's owned both. Is one tire significantly quieter than the other (understanding that they're mounted on two different vehicles, but is there a significant difference)? I have the Hankook V12s, and although a great driving tire, I'm probably spending more time on the highway than would be spent utilizing ultimate grip, so noise levels are #1 on my list.
Old 06-10-11, 10:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StpdSavant
Awesome, someone who's owned both. Is one tire significantly quieter than the other (understanding that they're mounted on two different vehicles, but is there a significant difference)? I have the Hankook V12s, and although a great driving tire, I'm probably spending more time on the highway than would be spent utilizing ultimate grip, so noise levels are #1 on my list.
Well, I generally drive with windows closed, and honestly I don't notice any real tire noise at all (the Hankooks being on my daily driver IS)... not sure if that'd be the case driving around with windows open though.

My wifes SC is a louder ride by a bit, but it's a different, older, car (and a manual too) so it's tough for me to say if it's louder based on the tire difference...and I'm in it a lot less...overall I think it's a bit louder ride but I don't recall any significant tire noise specifically.
Old 06-10-11, 10:52 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uaaction
i got hankook v12 and i love them in the rain and dry surface amazing grip... guess what they are the best for the buck
Keep in mind they are a summer tire only. Hope you have a pair for winter!
Old 06-10-11, 01:35 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for. I've been very satisfied with Michelin's specifically the PS2 and now Pilot Sport A/S.....the new PS3 and Super Sports are out. They are costly but IMO worth the money. Tires are the 4 parts of the car that touch the road and should not be overlooked.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-11, 07:34 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Assuming the techs at my tire mounting place aren't mistaken, I'm having an issue with the new Hankook V12 tires I purchased. They were mounted in early May and after a week of driving, I took the car back to the mounting place complaining about the
ride not being smooth and having a rhythmic vibration.

They looked and said one of the tires was mounted slightly off and that it should have been better. The ride was better but still not as smooth as it should have been. So a few weeks to a month later I took the car back again and asked them to take a real deep look.

They informed that I had two slightly bent rims, one in the front and one in the back. The big news though was that one of the new tires was not as "true." He explained further for this to mean that the construction wasn't the same as the other tires. He also said that why I felt this so much was because this "bad" tire was on one of the bent rear rims.

He said they could shave off the tire to fit but the problem is that in winter I swap off the summer tires and put on winter ones.

What bothered me though was that he wasn't really surprised. His response was simply that these were Hankooks, not michelins.

I just figured I'd make do or figure out my next move in the Winter when the Summer Tires are off. But the other thing that started bothering me was the hard pull my car was having to the left. I took my car in for an alignment, about 4 months after the last one I had. They said the left toe was pretty far out and fixed it for free but my car is still pulling hard to the left. I wonder if it's because of the bad new tire.

I sent an e-mail to Gripston today. Let's see what happens.
Old 07-19-11, 08:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

So this tire place so far has:

Mounted one of your tires "off"

Didn't notice two bent rims the first two times they worked on the car

Told you one of your tires you bought from them supposedly has a manufacturing defect (it isn't "true" somehow) yet rather than replacing it under warranty as they ought to offered to 'shave' the tire

I agree there's a problem, but I think it's with the shop, not the tires.
Old 07-19-11, 10:30 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2 cents:

After a lot of research I got the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (DRY, WET, SNOW) because it snows a little in southern Ohio.

I read a lot of good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DW (DRY, WET) and thats what I would have got if it didnt snow here. *It has good tread life too.
Old 07-19-11, 10:39 AM
Daganl
Rookie

You guys know anything about the Yokohama's that are comparable to the Continental DWS's? I forgot what they are called but allseason long tread life too!

AND it's not really fair to compare summer tires with all seasons.. They are for 2 different driving styles and designed for that specifically. Of course the handling feel in the summer tires would be much better then the all seasons. The noise in the all season's are probably much quieter then the summer's. The big plus for all seasons for me as I don't race is amazing tread life.
Old 07-19-11, 01:21 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

So this tire place so far has:
Mounted one of your tires "off"
Yes.

..Didn't notice two bent rims the first two times they worked on the car..
Well, it was slight - they said it wasn't enough to worry about replacing (though I plan to because I would like my ride to be at 100% - I'll just move these bent rims to a winter set of wheels since I don't care about my ride too much during those months)

Told you one of your tires you bought from them supposedly has a manufacturing defect (it isn't "true" somehow) yet rather than replacing it under warranty as they ought to offered to 'shave' the tire
Well the other issue here is that I took the tires there to just mount. I had bought them online from Gripston.
Old 08-13-11, 02:19 PM
jamit
Driver School Candidate

I need tire advice too. I have a 2006 IS250 RWD. My fronts don't seem to be lasting that long. I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050 OEM tires. I'm on my second set on the front and back, but need new fronts already (only 36,500 miles on car). My backs are not ready to be replaced yet. I should get around 10,000 more miles. I don't want to replace all 4 right now if I don't have to. Does anyone know if you can have different brands/types on the front and back? If I can, I'm looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS just on the front.
Old 08-13-11, 07:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamit
I need tire advice too. I have a 2006 IS250 RWD. My fronts don't seem to be lasting that long. I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050 OEM tires. I'm on my second set on the front and back, but need new fronts already (only 36,500 miles on car). My backs are not ready to be replaced yet. I should get around 10,000 more miles. I don't want to replace all 4 right now if I don't have to. Does anyone know if you can have different brands/types on the front and back? If I can, I'm looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS just on the front.
CAN you? sure. SHOULD you? Probably not.

And you generally want the better/newer tires on the rear if using mis-matched tires.... which of course you can't do with staggered.

But more importantly- go get your alignment fixed, the crap factory TOE settings is why you're burning through front tires so often.
Old 08-21-11, 11:05 AM
sqa4life
Rookie

Originally Posted by BLexodus
My 2 cents:

After a lot of research I got the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (DRY, WET, SNOW) because it snows a little in southern Ohio.

I read a lot of good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DW (DRY, WET) and thats what I would have got if it didnt snow here. *It has good tread life too.
I've just replaced my rear tires with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my IS350. The ride is totally different. Much quieter and smoother ride. $535 OTD from discount tires.