IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weak Engine Crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 11:54 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weak Engine Crank

So I was working on my car with the radio on, pressed the Start Engine button once without foot on the brake. All of the sudden, the radio audio goes out and my dash LEDs start flickering and some go out. I turn off the engine and start the car but as I'm starting it, it cranks, almost sounds like it'll die as the crank gets weaker but actually ends up starting after 3 seconds or so. I'm guessing it could be my alternator, battery, or all the LEDs I put in my car. Weeks ago, I had Autozone check my alternator and battery and got I think 13.1 volts at 70 degrees. My car is an '07 still with the factory battery I'm guessing since I'm the second owner. I think maybe my LEDs could be drawing too much power. I replaced my domes, courtesy lights, footwells, an trunk with 20 SMT LED panels. I also did the dash LED swap to white/blue and did VIP puddle lights. Also wanted to mention, after starting up the car, my dome lights were flickering and the car was shaky too.
Old 06-21-11, 12:01 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how old is the battery? if its 3-5 years old, its time to change it. Do you have a volt meter?? put the volt meter on the battery with engine off. you should get a reading between 12.4-12.8 meaning its still good. if its below 12.2 replace the battery
Old 06-21-11, 12:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

You may want to check the water level in the battery cells - a maintenance task that many here neglect. I check mine about once a year, and usually have to add a bit of distilled water. It's paying off for me as the OEM battery in the car I bought in early December 2005 is still going strong.
Old 06-21-11, 12:44 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
You may want to check the water level in the battery cells - a maintenance task that many here neglect. I check mine about once a year, and usually have to add a bit of distilled water. It's paying off for me as the OEM battery in the car I bought in early December 2005 is still going strong.
I never knew about this. Does this have to do with the circles on the top of the battery with indicators? Mine has always been blue with the red dot in the middle so I'm guessing it's fine or no?
Old 06-21-11, 12:58 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you find a solution.

I'm curious though about your identifying your interior LED swap as a possible cause, especially since I'm contemplating doing the same thing. I'm curious because everything I've ever been told and have read says that LED bulbs are more efficient than regular bulbs, using less power to produce the same light. So I always assumed that replacing a regular bulb with an LED would actually reduce the power drawn.

Is it that LEDs are in fact more efficient than regular bulbs in that they produce the same light output at lower power, but that the LEDs actually produce MORE light in this particular application than the regular bulbs they're replacing, which leads to MORE power being drawn than before?

Just curious.
Old 06-21-11, 01:08 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you find a solution.

I'm curious though about your identifying your interior LED swap as a possible cause, especially since I'm contemplating doing the same thing. I'm curious because everything I've ever been told and have read says that LED bulbs are more efficient than regular bulbs, using less power to produce the same light. So I always assumed that replacing a regular bulb with an LED would actually reduce the power drawn.

Is it that LEDs are in fact more efficient than regular bulbs in that they produce the same light output at lower power, but that the LEDs actually produce MORE light in this particular application than the regular bulbs they're replacing, which leads to MORE power being drawn than before?

Just curious.
Not just my domes, I've had them ever since buying the car as my first mod but it's never been a problem. What you hear is true, some LEDs use less power but can produce the same amount of light. However, some LEDs with capacitors and resistors use the same amount of power as incandescent to not give cars like BMWs errors. I wanted a crazy bright interior so I installed 5 LED panels in my interior instead of 5 bulbs but I think the power draw is only 3 watts each. My interior with LEDs are 2-3x brighter than stock and can be seen lit up a black away at night, even with tints on.
Old 06-21-11, 01:40 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by chi123
Not just my domes, I've had them ever since buying the car as my first mod but it's never been a problem. What you hear is true, some LEDs use less power but can produce the same amount of light. However, some LEDs with capacitors and resistors use the same amount of power as incandescent to not give cars like BMWs errors. I wanted a crazy bright interior so I installed 5 LED panels in my interior instead of 5 bulbs but I think the power draw is only 3 watts each. My interior with LEDs are 2-3x brighter than stock and can be seen lit up a black away at night, even with tints on.
Haha well then, that'll do it. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-21-11, 04:03 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

I noticed recently that my dash lights flicker when the car is not on and basically with the key in the ignition, when I press the button once without depressing the brakes. But, when the car is on and running, the dash lights stop flickering. From that, I guess the battery is going now?
Old 06-23-11, 04:57 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
I never knew about this. Does this have to do with the circles on the top of the battery with indicators? Mine has always been blue with the red dot in the middle so I'm guessing it's fine or no?
No, it has to do with checking the electrolyte level in all six cells by removing the caps. The magic eye only gives you the condition in one of the six cells, and I'm not even sure how accurately it does that.
Old 06-23-11, 02:18 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
No, it has to do with checking the electrolyte level in all six cells by removing the caps. The magic eye only gives you the condition in one of the six cells, and I'm not even sure how accurately it does that.
Thanks for your help Bichon. I checked the levels of the fluids and I ended up pouring almost a quart of distilled water in the 6 cells. Not sure when it's considered full but I refilled until it reached the bottom of the cutout of the opening, so an inch below the top of battery I guess. The magic eye I think is pretty accurate, after I refilled the water, it changed to white with a red dot in the middle meaning I need to charge it. A volt meter ready 12.4 volts with the car off so my battery is near the end. I would just recharge it but no clue on how the cells are so I'm going to get a new battery soon.