IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New guy and new to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 09:06 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the 350 here.... ive always perferrred a manual tranny however thats because up untill recently most cars had a 4 speed auto, which was only 3 usefull gears if you were trying to accelerate (OD is worthless) , HOWEVER the IS has a 6-speed automatic which is GREAT!! couple that with the agressive rear end ratio and its also fun to drive.... You should see the look on a mustang gt owners face when they pull up next to you at a light with their loud exhaust and over revving etc... right after the light goes green and you pull a few bus lenghts on them... the 350 is a SLEEPER, NO ONE ive run into on the street had ANY clue it was a mid/low 13 sec car when you want it to be or a comfortable daily cruiser if not...

Having said that i really dont miss my manual tranny right now, if i had a choice between a 250 and a 350 it would be the 350 hands down.... not only for the difference in performance but they also come with bigger/better brakes etc....
Old 06-26-11, 04:55 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

I have an is250, they are freaking slow bro
Old 06-26-11, 08:57 PM
Enginerd
Driver

I agree, though I must admit that with the 2011 mustang GT this is no longer the case...but nevertheless the IS 350 is a quick, good looking, nice ride! I love my 350, a quick daily driver, classy when you need it to be but also will swing the rear out no problem when you want some fun! The things I don't like would be the seats during hard cornering are not supportive enough (I don't have the F-sport seats), how hard the trunk is to open (dealer said it's normal), and my 18 mpg average though I have just my right foot to blame cause it's soooooo fun! If you do get an IS, especially the 350 make sure to get the F-sport rear sway bar upgrade....best mod!
Old 06-27-11, 05:28 AM
Kappa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mvlbr
If you want a manual just get an Infiniti G series and call it a day.
At this point it needs to be a lexus lol but i do love the Infiniti haha

Originally Posted by Gville350
By the sounds of things you have yet to try out a RWD 350. Drive a manual IS250, and then right after drive an auto IS350 of ANY year model. You'll tell me you could care less about it being auto...trust me!

I've ONLY EVER owned 5speeds. Datsuns, a Ford, a Mitsu, Hondas, and now the Lexus. So I know what it means to be a die-hard gear-banger.

GL on your decision though.
Ok thats a good idea.. i have had the AWD IS 350 out and it works good but the problem with the new ones is they are so smooth that you get going so fast when out even knowing its happening haha ill see when i can test drive both thanks

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
Welcome!
if "price is not the issue" go with the F
I wish.. what I was trying to say was the price between the two was no big deal.. lol!

Originally Posted by Rykster
Go with the IS350. You won't regret it. It's a strong motor. Also, think of resale. Most people nowadays want a car with an automatic tranny. Finally, the wife/girlfriend will probably have to drive it at some point, so think of that too.
lol i dont really want the girl friend driving my "Lexus"... lol she can take the 3 haha. but those are good points i wasn't thinking of resale value.
Old 06-27-11, 05:33 AM
Kappa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Another vote for the 350 here.... ive always perferrred a manual tranny however thats because up untill recently most cars had a 4 speed auto, which was only 3 usefull gears if you were trying to accelerate (OD is worthless) , HOWEVER the IS has a 6-speed automatic which is GREAT!! couple that with the agressive rear end ratio and its also fun to drive.... You should see the look on a mustang gt owners face when they pull up next to you at a light with their loud exhaust and over revving etc... right after the light goes green and you pull a few bus lenghts on them... the 350 is a SLEEPER, NO ONE ive run into on the street had ANY clue it was a mid/low 13 sec car when you want it to be or a comfortable daily cruiser if not...

Having said that i really dont miss my manual tranny right now, if i had a choice between a 250 and a 350 it would be the 350 hands down.... not only for the difference in performance but they also come with bigger/better brakes etc....
Good point.. I dont really do any pulls on the street but im sure i might drop it down a gear on the highway once in a wile with a friend.. looks like the 350 is looking better and better lol

Originally Posted by rule1223
I have an is250, they are freaking slow bro
lol thanks man!

Originally Posted by Enginerd
I agree, though I must admit that with the 2011 mustang GT this is no longer the case...but nevertheless the IS 350 is a quick, good looking, nice ride! I love my 350, a quick daily driver, classy when you need it to be but also will swing the rear out no problem when you want some fun! The things I don't like would be the seats during hard cornering are not supportive enough (I don't have the F-sport seats), how hard the trunk is to open (dealer said it's normal), and my 18 mpg average though I have just my right foot to blame cause it's soooooo fun! If you do get an IS, especially the 350 make sure to get the F-sport rear sway bar upgrade....best mod!
It wont stay stock for very long although i think i might look into some motor mounts... because i missed that torque feel from my 3 when i drove one..