Smart Card programming issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 07:19 AM
bruhast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Card programming issue

Hi Everyone -

I've been lurking for quite some time, but this is my first post. My wife's car is an 06 GX470 and an 07 IS350. We love both cars.

The IS has the smart keys, but we only have one. I purchased a used smart wallet card key off of ebay and took it to the dealer to have it programmed. They were unable to program it due to it being previously programmed to another vehicle. Does this make sense? Has anyone else had one of these keys programmed to their vehicle that was previously programmed to another?

The dealer still charged me even though they were unable to program it.

Thanks!

Nathanael
Old 06-23-11, 08:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bruhast
Hi Everyone -

I've been lurking for quite some time, but this is my first post. My wife's car is an 06 GX470 and an 07 IS350. We love both cars.

The IS has the smart keys, but we only have one. I purchased a used smart wallet card key off of ebay and took it to the dealer to have it programmed. They were unable to program it due to it being previously programmed to another vehicle. Does this make sense? Has anyone else had one of these keys programmed to their vehicle that was previously programmed to another?

The dealer still charged me even though they were unable to program it.

Thanks!

Nathanael

Your dealer is an idiot.

It is more work to program with a used key, since you have to wipe the whole system and re-add each key, but it's certainly possible and any dealer should know how to do it.

I'd be returning, explaining this, and insuring they did it free since they already charged me.
Old 06-23-11, 09:49 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

So they weren't able to do it, but they still charged you? How much did they charge you? I'd go back and explain the process to them...
Old 06-23-11, 10:43 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Your dealer is an idiot.

It is more work to program with a used key, since you have to wipe the whole system and re-add each key, but it's certainly possible and any dealer should know how to do it.

I'd be returning, explaining this, and insuring they did it free since they already charged me.
In the Sewell smart card thread there was some talk that once a card is programmed to a car it cannot be programmed to a different car. Has it actually been confirmed that it indeed can be programmed to a different car?
Old 06-23-11, 11:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
In the Sewell smart card thread there was some talk that once a card is programmed to a car it cannot be programmed to a different car. Has it actually been confirmed that it indeed can be programmed to a different car?
I don't recall reading that... got a link?

I suppose it's possible that the master reset process, which lets you program a used smart key, doesn't work with a smart card for some reason... though that would seem a bit weird...I figured the smartcard was the same little circuitboard inside that the smartkey has (you can see it when you change the battery) just in a much thinner case without buttons...

(though if true the dealer sure shouldn't have charged anything, since they couldn't have done anything)

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-23-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 02:11 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Lies (at least in my case). I bought a used smart card off someone from the forums and had it programmed to my car. Maybe my Lexus Tech is just smarter than your average bear though...
Old 06-23-11, 07:49 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its can be reprogramed but 06 &07 is diff. Smart key from 2008 can onlybe used for 08 . From 2009- now is the card key i had the wronge year key and didnt work but when order but vin#for the right year.
Old 06-23-11, 08:02 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusis305
Its can be reprogramed but 06 &07 is diff. Smart key from 2008 can onlybe used for 08 . From 2009- now is the card key i had the wronge year key and didnt work but when order but vin#for the right year.
Yeap, I completely agree with this statement, I've seen it first hand.
Old 08-03-11, 12:14 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose it's possible that the master reset process, which lets you program a used smart key, doesn't work with a smart card for some reason... though that would seem a bit weird...I figured the smartcard was the same little circuitboard inside that the smartkey has (you can see it when you change the battery) just in a much thinner case without buttons...

(though if true the dealer sure shouldn't have charged anything, since they couldn't have done anything)
This is what I was referring to:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3222640-post78.html
I know it's an old post but I haven't seen anybody confirm that programming a smart card that has been programmed to a different vehicle is possible.

And yes, if the dealer couldn't program it they shouldn't be charging you for the service. I went to 2 different dealers to get mine programmed (before realizing the battery was dead) and neither one charged me.
Old 08-09-11, 02:47 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

Can you program the smart card to unlock all your doors when you touch one?
Old 08-09-11, 10:02 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslivin
Can you program the smart card to unlock all your doors when you touch one?
Found the answer. You can do that with your regular smartaccess key. Hold the lock and unlock buttons down for several seconds until you hear a beep, and that will toggle the option to unlock all doors when you press unlock.

Last edited by lexuslivin; 08-09-11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 10:25 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if it is the same little board as in regular FOBs? I am experimenting with a way to disassemble one of my keys and put a less bulky one in my wallet--trying to use SD card holder as the shell.
Old 09-15-11, 06:41 AM
Mightyiggy
Driver School Candidate

The exact same thing happened to me, I bought a used one from Keyless4u on ebay, took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't program it since it was previously programmed. I called Keyless4u and they said that it was possible as they sell them all the time and haven't had a complaint.