IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trunk Jammed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11 | 07:13 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Default Trunk Jammed...

I have already searched the forums and seen a few threads on this topic. I tried one approach with no luck.

So after moving back from college in may i jammed my trunk. Brought it to lexus and they unjammed it. 2 weeks later it got jammed again. This time there was nothing stuck. They said i might have damaged the latch. However they were able to open it. Today it got jammed again. I dont think anything is stuck underneath. I dont know what to do... The trunk has been working in between these time frames. I need to install my trunk spoiler and this is holding me up.

What is the best way for me to fix this problem? The lexus rep said i should change the latch but honestly he seemed baffled himself. The part would cost me something like $350 without labor. Im really trying to avoid this.

Please Help!
Old 06-26-11 | 09:37 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

try clicking the button that's in your glove box on the left hand side. because when that button's pressed, your trunk wont open. try toggling it
Old 06-26-11 | 09:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Just what i was going to suggest.

But if you say it works and then gets stuck every once in a while, then it might not be that.
Old 06-26-11 | 09:54 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrIS250
try clicking the button that's in your glove box on the left hand side. because when that button's pressed, your trunk wont open. try toggling it
Yea i didnt know about this button until the dealer had mentioned it, but thats not the cause. as killais250 said, it works and then randomly doesnt. Im not sure if things are actually getting jammed or not, i feel like it isnt... idk im just getting really confused and frustrated
Old 06-26-11 | 10:00 PM
aarongue6
Rookie

Maybe there's something wrong electronically. Have you tried using the mechanical key to open the trunk? Just a thought.
Old 06-27-11 | 08:53 AM
iAlvin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aarongue6
Maybe there's something wrong electronically. Have you tried using the mechanical key to open the trunk? Just a thought.
I was going to suggest using the key as well. There is a small key hole right above the license plate on the left.
Old 06-27-11 | 09:04 PM
SPS
Rookie

Do you hear a "click" when you try to open it ?
If you don't hear the solenoid, it could still be a mechanical jam, but it could be electrical. The switch (or the electronics connected to the switch) in the glove compartment is flakey. Happens to me often enough that it switches off on its own. Every once in a while somebody posts about their trunk suddenly not opening. I think most people assume they must have bumped the glove compartment door or something like that. Thats what I figured, the first time. Now I realize the switch is flakey.

Last edited by SPS; 06-27-11 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-27-11 | 09:51 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPS
Do you hear a "click" when you try to open it ?
If you don't hear the solenoid, it could still be a mechanical jam, but it could be electrical. The switch (or the electronics connected to the switch) in the glove compartment is flakey. Happens to me often enough that it switches off on its own. Every once in a while somebody posts about their trunk suddenly not opening. I think most people assume they must have bumped the glove compartment door or something like that. Thats what I figured, the first time. Now I realize the switch is flakey.
I tried everything lol. One lexus dealer said i had to replace the latch which would cost like 350 for the part and an hour of labor. I got my tpms sensored programmed on my new set of wheels at another dealer today and asked them to check out my trunk. They found out it was an electrical problem and they had to do some programing and stuff they didnt really explain to me. I was just happy it was fixed without parts. They charged me 1 hour labor. They guaranteed that the problem has been solved, or they will fix it for free. Im satisfied