IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250/350 winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 11:31 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't take my Is350 out in the snow at all. That's what my pathfinder or frontier is for. Gotta love 4x4. Last winter i tried to get some stuff out my garage and i found out my lexus ain't made for the snow. Lol i was stuck for like 15mins. Until i found some cardboard and a piece of carpet. At least the snow stopped
Old 06-28-11, 12:22 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

College student without money and has a Lexus? Does not make sense to me knowing the same money needs to be in higher priorities first before looking at a Lexus. Sort of meaningless once people know other information but they would not say this in front of you.

More like asian kids or young adults (yes I am asian myself), seeing lots of people in the Vancouver area driving BMWs/Lexus/Mecedies and all the other nice cars. I already know off my head, they a good amount of them did not get it themselves, but it was because their parents help them get the car because they are loaded. In those cases I do understand why the do this (they care for their kids) but at the same time, it is sort of spoiling them.

As I mentioned before, I know a 17 year old girl who drives a new BMW... She didn't buy it, it was her dad.

When I was in college, my car? My mom's 95 Toyota Corolla then switched to a 99 Solara Camry from my dad.
I don't see it as spoiling at all. My parents immigrated here and worked minimum wage their whole lives so they aren't close to being loaded. They never even owned a car or a computer before. Dad actually passed away last month from battling stomach cancer. I'm not spoiled at all other than a car, I haven't ever played any video games, my parents don't pay my gas, insurance, or any of that. All my clothes I pay myself. The only things my mom supports me for is shelter and money for school.

How I got the Lexus in the first place, my dad decided that since apparently I was being a good kid, doing well in school, helping out at home, and fixing things around, he decided to buy me a car for school if I can handle the cost of owning one. He bought my sister a used car when she started college and the engine failed on her in less than a month. So he had bad experiences and was hinting I get a new Honda Civic. The cost of a Civic was like $18k or so and my IS350 was 20k haggled. I only do like 5,000 miles a year so even in ten years, the 350 won't even reach 100k. Pointless to get a Civic that in 10 years will have less than 50k on the odometer.

So would you choose an IS350 or Civic at the same cost? Insurance is the same, gas is just $0.20 more per gallon, so why not choose the IS? As I learned in Economics, marginal benefit exceeds the cost in this choice.

Last edited by chi123; 06-28-11 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-28-11, 06:22 AM
sgolko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also live in Calgary, I got my 350 AWD just before the end of winter, right in time for those last 2 massive dumps we got. The car handled just fine, I was cruising past everyone on the roads. Only problem was clearance at times, especially when the slush piles up between lanes. Once my all-seasons start to wear (ie going into the next winter) I will be getting winter rubber for the car tho.
Can't compare to how a RWD would perform in the same conditions, never driven one. Although, a friend had the 350 RWD a year or 2 ago, and ended up trading it back in because he wasn't getting anywhere in the winter. Not sure if it was just a bad storm, or if his road was especially bad, or what.
Old 06-28-11, 06:50 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Depends on how long and bad your winter is. RWD with all seasons will be OK in states like NY/NJ but probably not so OK further north
Old 06-28-11, 07:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
I don't see why need to swap tires with winter ones when he got around safely with summers on.
Yeah, snow/winter tires may offer better traction, stopping distance, and summer tires in the winter can be dangerous.

You just answered your own question.

And I don't just have tires with excellent stopping distance because of how I drive... I have them because of how other people, over whom I have no control, drive.

From 40 mph (testing on a civic no less) Edmunds found stopping distance with winter tires to be 156 feet.... with all-seasons? 184 feet... that's almost 30 feet shorter... and with summer tires? 351 feet. Almost double the distance. that's a massive difference.

from 60 mph things get much worse for the non-winter tires... the all-seasons take almost 60 feet longer to stop... and summer tires? they actually ran out of track. They later estimated the actual stopping distance increase would have been well over 400 feet longer

Just because you know a few people who are lazy/stupid about safety equipment and haven't killed themselves yet doesn't mean you ought be one of em.
Old 06-28-11, 09:13 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see it as spoiling at all. My parents immigrated here and worked minimum wage their whole lives so they aren't close to being loaded. They never even owned a car or a computer before. Dad actually passed away last month from battling stomach cancer. I'm not spoiled at all other than a car, I haven't ever played any video games, my parents don't pay my gas, insurance, or any of that. All my clothes I pay myself. The only things my mom supports me for is shelter and money for school.

How I got the Lexus in the first place, my dad decided that since apparently I was being a good kid, doing well in school, helping out at home, and fixing things around, he decided to buy me a car for school if I can handle the cost of owning one. He bought my sister a used car when she started college and the engine failed on her in less than a month. So he had bad experiences and was hinting I get a new Honda Civic. The cost of a Civic was like $18k or so and my IS350 was 20k haggled. I only do like 5,000 miles a year so even in ten years, the 350 won't even reach 100k. Pointless to get a Civic that in 10 years will have less than 50k on the odometer.

So would you choose an IS350 or Civic at the same cost? Insurance is the same, gas is just $0.20 more per gallon, so why not choose the IS? As I learned in Economics, marginal benefit exceeds the cost in this choice.
20K, definately good deal for IS350 but if money was tight as you mention, one of gotten an even cheaper vehicle until you are in a better financial situation.

I can say my co-worker, he still drives a very old Saturn that can get up to 40mpg and still drives it up to this day and he bought it used like less than 10K back in the day when he got it. Sure yes it's beat up and is capable of getting a current new luxury vehicle (he likes my IS); Instead he's using it for the morgage and living expenses, wife, and saving money for his young child for college in the future.

When you are indicating you were poor, I had to really ask why did you have one because your sort of giving the impression of not being independent and just have a nice car.

However since you hard working student that you deserve a vehicle, this is a different story because this would make sense.

Last edited by Sango; 06-28-11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-28-11, 10:13 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

"College student without money and has a Lexus? Does not make sense to me knowing the same money needs to be in higher priorities first before looking at a Lexus. Sort of meaningless once people know other information but they would not say this in front of you."

Reminds me of the post I saw on failblog where there was a picture of a Porsche Boxster with a Domino's pizza delivery flag on the back.
Old 06-28-11, 10:27 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
20K, definately good deal for IS350 but if money was tight as you mention, one of gotten an even cheaper vehicle until you are in a better financial situation.

I can say my co-worker, he still drives a very old Saturn that can get up to 40mpg and still drives it up to this day and he bought it used like less than 10K back in the day when he got it. Sure yes it's beat up and is capable of getting a current new luxury vehicle (he likes my IS); Instead he's using it for the morgage and living expenses, wife, and saving money for his young child for college in the future.

When you are indicating you were poor, I had to really ask why did you have one because your sort of giving the impression of not being independent and just have a nice car.

However since you hard working student that you deserve a vehicle, this is a different story because this would make sense.
Yeah, I'm not one of those whose parents will buy them a brand new $40K car and pay their gas, insurance, customizing, and all that. My dad I guess wanted to show me appreciation for helping out and doing okay IMO in school so he got me a car so I wouldn't have to deal with taking the bus/train for 3 hours total a day to get to and from school. I can understand your co-worker, he's exactly like my dad and mom. They never spent money on anything luxury or unnecessary things, and saving up enough they sent two kids to college now grown up making like $40K and $70K each, now I'm off to college in the fall. So all the saving got my parents a house, three kids, and enough to buy me a Lexus. But since I'm not yet getting a house, having kids, or anything of that in the near future, I wouldn't mind spending more on having a Lexus. But yes, I do know in the future I'll have to make more wise financial decisions.
Old 06-28-11, 10:29 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
"College student without money and has a Lexus? Does not make sense to me knowing the same money needs to be in higher priorities first before looking at a Lexus. Sort of meaningless once people know other information but they would not say this in front of you."

Reminds me of the post I saw on failblog where there was a picture of a Porsche Boxster with a Domino's pizza delivery flag on the back.
Very funny actually, was applying for jobs while back. Pizza Hut was hiring and I decided to look at their positions. They wanted a delivery person and I applied to deliver pizzas in my IS. Sadly, I didn't think it was worth it anyhow since I get 17 MPG and one delivery is only like $2-3?
Old 06-28-11, 12:06 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ddhleigh

LoL! Whops! Yes impressions, unless the person actually loaded.

Of course in my phrase, I should of toned it down since not mean it that way but was trying to push the point. If were my dad saying somethign similar, probably would not want to hear it lol! Explaining it the Chinese traditional way, for those understand what I am referring to.