IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Are factory demo cars safe to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 03:18 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are factory demo cars safe to buy?

After waiting months after the unfortunate event that have occured in Japan for a IS350 Black on Black with F Sport, I finally found a dealer but only to find out that it was used a factory demo vehicle. It has 6,500 miles on it and the price is $40,000 + TTL. Do you guys think it's worth it at this given current situation where it's pretty hard to find an IS350 or should I wait even longer until a new one pops up? Thanks.
Old 06-30-11, 03:43 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally would pass for the same reason I'd pass on a rental or a loaner vehicle: the abuse the car's undoubtedly taken. And for a factory demo car I'd imagine it's even worse.

That said, if that's not as much a concern to you, if the price is right go for it. I'd imagine being a demo car it's fairly highly-optioned, and was obviously kept in good shape.

If you can wait, prices in general though will likely get better in the next few months as the fallout from the Japan disaster subsides.
Old 06-30-11, 04:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'd Skip it. $40K for a car thats been driven by dealership employees/management/owner(s), and since its a 350 i wouldn't doubt that they drove it hard for those 6,500 miles. Plus thats 6,500 miles off your factory warranty. It's not legally considered a used car, so your basically paying for a "new" car that has been driven 6,500 miles by people you don't know to save a couple G's.
Old 06-30-11, 04:59 PM
TASGX10
Driver School Candidate

isdouble

The IS350 F-Sport's are real hard to get right now. Even when production ramps up they are still not going to be produced in a large quantity. Does the dealer have any idea how long you would have to wait for a new one (they should know what they have allocated). Honestl though, If you have found the color combo you want I personally would not let the fact it is a demo deter your decision...A new one is new until you drive off the lot...I had to wait a few months to get mine...
Old 06-30-11, 05:09 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Yeah that's the thing right now. I've been waiting for like 2-3 months to find this one. I need a vehicle in 2 months and I'm not sure if I can find one and even if I did, what would be the chance of getting the car at invoice + ttl. Maybe I should check the car out and see how it looks. Although I would do $39000 + $1000 Lexus Loyalty Discount.
Old 06-30-11, 05:38 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Demos are probably not as abused as loan cars, check into the warranty, maybe it starts when you buy it since it's technically a new car purchase-not sure how that works but for sure the warranty starts from your in service date not theirs. I wouldn't think twice about buying a demo if it saved a few g's, was exactly what I wanted, and it was going to be a while before another came in. I've been waiting for an fsport that's not even my first choice in color for about a month and they said special orders could take 4-6 months since production just ramped back up.
Old 06-30-11, 06:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Defender46
Demos are probably not as abused as loan cars, check into the warranty, maybe it starts when you buy it since it's technically a new car purchase-not sure how that works but for sure the warranty starts from your in service date not theirs. I wouldn't think twice about buying a demo if it saved a few g's, was exactly what I wanted, and it was going to be a while before another came in. I've been waiting for an fsport that's not even my first choice in color for about a month and they said special orders could take 4-6 months since production just ramped back up.
Actually i believe the factory warranty is from in-service date, 48mos/50k miles. CPO warranties start from the time you buy the car, 3 years/100k total miles.
Old 06-30-11, 07:13 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, im saying the in service date may start when you buy the demo, not when the dealer started driving it.
Old 06-30-11, 07:24 PM
peteypablo
Driver

I would wait!!!!
Old 06-30-11, 07:46 PM
OUFanatic
Driver School Candidate

If it's what u want I would consider it. The warranty starts from when u buy it. It's still considered a new car. You should be able to tell if anything major is wrong. Ultimately it's up to you and whatever you decide.
Old 06-30-11, 07:52 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses guys! I found something interesting. A dealership 2 hours away contacted me saying they have a IS350 Black on Black F Sport brand new. They want $43K + TTL - $1000 For Lexus Loyalty. What do you guys think?
Old 06-30-11, 07:58 PM
OUFanatic
Driver School Candidate

I would go for the one with 6 miles as opposed to 6,500. Because you will know exactly how the newer one was driven. What's another 2k for piece of mind?
Old 06-30-11, 08:05 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by isdouble
Thanks for all the responses guys! I found something interesting. A dealership 2 hours away contacted me saying they have a IS350 Black on Black F Sport brand new. They want $43K + TTL - $1000 For Lexus Loyalty. What do you guys think?
I would definitely consider that one over the factory demo one!

I think a few others have the black 2011 IS250 F-Sport on this message board but I can't remember anyone else having a black 2011 IS350 F-Sport here.
Old 06-30-11, 08:10 PM
isdouble
Rookie

But the thing is, I've had so many dealership giving me a quote online and when I actually go to the dealership, they tell me it was a mistake and raise it by $2k. Another one situation that occurred to me was they told me they had a IS350 Black on Black F Sport but when I actually got there, it was a Smokey Granite. I just really don't want to drive 2 hours only to find something wrong with it. Oh btw, what if the price difference was $4K?
Old 06-30-11, 08:25 PM
OUFanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isdouble
But the thing is, I've had so many dealership giving me a quote online and when I actually go to the dealership, they tell me it was a mistake and raise it by $2k. Another one situation that occurred to me was they told me they had a IS350 Black on Black F Sport but when I actually got there, it was a Smokey Granite. I just really don't want to drive 2 hours only to find something wrong with it. Oh btw, what if the price difference was $4K?
Have them email you pics of the car. I don't see why they wouldn't

Quick Reply: Are factory demo cars safe to buy?