IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 08:34 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver
are the dealers replacing them even though its not bubbling or does the headlights need to have bubbles to get replaced?
The TSB says that it has to have bubbling
Old 04-01-12, 11:33 PM
kegleyb
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoac
The TSB says that it has to have bubbling
Yep, I tried having Lexus replace mine before any bubbling happened, and they didn't honor the TSB. I took it back after I baked my car in the sun and the bubbling appeared.
Old 04-02-12, 01:43 AM
STLE
Driver School Candidate

So let me get this straight. The new headlights have brighter LED's than the stock headlight LED's? I have a 2011 and I see slight bubbling but I don't see real reason to replace it. .. . .. unless those LED's really are brighter

Does the bubbling do anything to hinder the performance of the headlights in anyway?
Old 04-02-12, 01:47 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STLE
So let me get this straight. The new headlights have brighter LED's than the stock headlight LED's? I have a 2011 and I see slight bubbling but I don't see real reason to replace it. .. . .. unless those LED's really are brighter

Does the bubbling do anything to hinder the performance of the headlights in anyway?
2011 vs. 2012 LED headlights:

Full thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-exposed.html

And no the bubbling shouldn't really hinder performance in anyway. It will just be there, and you'll see it lol
Old 04-02-12, 07:52 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I was going to hold off on getting the new lights. Was going to wait till my lights got haxed or chipped, but I went ahead and went in Friday. Not sure how long I will keep my car and I wanted the new look lol!

They have them on order, will call me when they come in. I think I want to try out the CT for the loaner!
Old 04-02-12, 01:01 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
I was going to hold off on getting the new lights. Was going to wait till my lights got haxed or chipped, but I went ahead and went in Friday. Not sure how long I will keep my car and I wanted the new look lol!

They have them on order, will call me when they come in. I think I want to try out the CT for the loaner!
Same here! I was going to wait for my next oil change but I decided to contact the dealership again to look into it, if possible. Plus, the bubbling could just get worse anyways over time if I keep these headlights. They'll contact me as well when they arrive but they still need to inspect the car before installing. I am a bit worried they will say "no" because my bubbling is like less than a 1/2" wrinkle on one headlight and some little spots on the other but I heard some people here who have a similar description of bubbling still got theirs replaced anyways. From what it sounds like, as long as you have bubbling of some sort you should be able to get it replaced.
Old 04-03-12, 03:18 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine started to bubble
Old 04-03-12, 09:26 AM
Rickyp521
Rookie

see i dont know for me, mine is bubbling and they said they will replace it but they told me it will be the same exact as my headlights they didnt say it was the 2012 headlights. you think they will give me the same ones again or an updated version (hopefully the brighter LED'S)
Old 04-03-12, 10:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation FYI for All...

Originally Posted by Rickyp521
see i dont know for me, mine is bubbling and they said they will replace it but they told me it will be the same exact as my headlights they didnt say it was the 2012 headlights. you think they will give me the same ones again or an updated version (hopefully the brighter LED'S)
Same Question from the other thread...

My same answer applies...

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Originally Posted by Rickyp521
maybe you guys can help me so i had the bubblig problem also on my 2011 is 250, the dealer said yes to switching but i dont think hes giving me the 2012, he told me there getting the same light as on the car nothing different. do you think its the 2012 or would they give me a 2011 and have this same problem all over again you know. tell me what you think i should say CL members to the lexus dealership.
Let me give it to you in simple format....

The OLD 2011 headlight part numbers are toast...

When they order you the new replacement 2011 / 2012 headlight housings for your 2011 IS..

..They will AUTOMATICALLY receive the newest replacement parts, which have the new improvements..

Lack of dealer employee training is the issue your having right now.

Regards,

Joe Z

~ Joe Z
Old 04-09-12, 05:16 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Same Question from the other thread...

Lack of dealer employee training is the issue your having right now.

Lack of training is a definite issue. My IS350C just turned a year old with 11k miles. I needed to get an oil change and for giggles, I called the local Dealership to compare pricing. The Service Advisor said since it's my first change, it's covered. I told him that it was my second and that the 250's oil change interval is 10k and the 350's is 5k, so it shouldn't be covered. He checked my VIN and said the other dealership did the 5k service w/no oil change. I know that wasn't the case, but who am I to question his computer...He assured me it was covered, so I made an appointment to take it in. Since I was there, I decided to get the headlights switched. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I gave him the TSB and showed him the problem. No one at this dealership knew of the problem and all the techs took a look to see it. So they ordered the replacements last Wed and he said it would probably take 3-4 weeks to get it from Japan. I said sure...on Friday, he said he had them and I'm taking it on on Thursday. And my oil change was free!

Now, I have read that they will fill the tank on a recall. Does that apply to TSB service calls also???
Old 04-09-12, 08:52 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

TSB's are not recalls, so there will likely be no fill up.

Jeff
Old 04-09-12, 11:19 AM
Rickyp521
Rookie

just got my headlights changed out to the new ones and they are brighter and better than my old one.
Old 04-09-12, 12:52 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Cool look like the new lights will be better, I can't wait to receive my Darrel just email me and said my lights would ship out today.
Old 04-13-12, 09:28 AM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woohoo! New headlights came in while i was on vacation. I have an appt booked May 1st to swap mine out. Might have to throw the F sport grille in while the bumper is off....
Old 04-16-12, 11:37 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

I noticed mine started bubbling beyond creases recently... checked this thread to read the great news of everyone getting their headlights replaced. Mine are getting swapped out this week after pointing it out at my oil change this past weekend. Like everyone else, my service rep was not aware of an actual TSB for this issue but said he has definitely heard about it. Luckily I had it saved in an email on my phone to show him.

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect