IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Almost out of warranty going into the dealership on friday morning.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 11:03 PM
dproto09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost out of warranty going into the dealership on friday morning.

Hi guys, I'm almost out of warranty. I have a 2008 is250 with 49,300k and i schedule an appointment for Friday morning for the:
1. Fuel recalled
2. Dashboard making creaking popping noise as car drives.

I'm not sure what else i should mention to them.
Sometime when i turn the wheel to one direction to make a U-turn (at a slow speed) you can hear the tires make a squealing noise. But i don’t think that would be cover they probably tell me it the alignment and i believe that maintances.

If you guys have any other advice with what i should tell the dealer to get any other necessary repairs including future repairs, done under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.
Old 07-06-11, 02:46 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude the creaking popping noise isn't just me?! Twice already I heard that random noise and thought someone was throwing something at my car.
Old 07-06-11, 05:43 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine expired last month, before it did I checked all of the tsbs and saw if I had any of the same issues. As a result, I got them to change the rear view mirror and aux connector for the ipod. Another thing I would get them to check is the brake calipers. I've had to get two replaced for seizing.
Old 07-06-11, 07:51 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

- seat creaking all they do is take out pins.
-rear view mirror with updated one
-ipod aux
-window trim replaced
-nav unit died on me and got replaced.
- all recalls done but the pedal.
all i could think of right now.
Old 07-06-11, 11:27 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dproto09
Hi guys, I'm almost out of warranty. I have a 2008 is250 with 49,300k and i schedule an appointment for Friday morning for the:
1. Fuel recalled
2. Dashboard making creaking popping noise as car drives.

I'm not sure what else i should mention to them.
Sometime when i turn the wheel to one direction to make a U-turn (at a slow speed) you can hear the tires make a squealing noise. But i don’t think that would be cover they probably tell me it the alignment and i believe that maintances.

If you guys have any other advice with what i should tell the dealer to get any other necessary repairs including future repairs, done under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.
Make sure to tell them there are sounds coming from the dash as well as the windshield area. There are two separate TSIBs. From the 2IS Buyer's Guide:

- Dash rattle: drive the car over uneven surfaces and push on the dash so it flexes up and down at all points of the dash (in front of driver, in the center of the dash, and on the right side). If the dash rattles, creaks, or squeaks when you drive over uneven surfaces or you push on the dash at any point, you need both TSIB L-SB-0090-08 (Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise) and TSIB L-SB-0044-08 (Instrument Panel Rattle) performed. This is a very common, and very irritating, issue that can unfortunately recur even after the dealer attempts to repair. Repair of this issue could cost you $1000+ out of pocket, as the labor is extensive to remove the dash pad. This issue is covered by the factory 4 yr/50k warranty but not by any extended Lexus warranties.

It likely won't be fixed 100% the first time, you'll probably have to bring it back, but if you get it done the first time under warranty, you should be good to bring it back if they haven't fully fixed it even if you're out of warranty.

If you have a trunk lip spoiler, check to see that the spoiler is still attached securely and the adhesive isn't wearing off.

Check the black molding strips on the outside of each side of the windshield. These often crack and fall apart. Search CL for "windshield molding" to see a thread with pictures of what I'm talking about.

Carbon build-up and cam gear TSIBs are covered by powertrain warranty so no rush on those.

Ground loop TSIB where they replace the aux-in port with one that doesn't give feedback when an iPod is connected to both aux and power at the same time. To get this done, just tell them you get feedback when the above occurs.

If you have any problems with your nav whatsoever (or anything else for that matter) but it hasn't fully failed, BRING IT UP TO THE SERVICE ADVISER and make sure he/she makes note of it.

Lastly, seriously consider an extended warranty. Discussion of it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html
Old 07-06-11, 01:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you don't have plugged a/c drain which will back up and drench your front carpets, nessicitating the removal of the dash to fix. A very expensive fix and they won't do it proactively. Just check that your front passenger carpet is bone dry.
Old 07-06-11, 02:36 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the molding around your windshield is probably cracking... you should have that replaced under warranty
Old 07-06-11, 05:30 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

I have an 06 IS250 and highly recommend the extended warranty. I regret not getting it.
Old 07-06-11, 10:02 PM
dproto09
Driver School Candidate

Thanks you guys for the input. I'm going to the dealer ship on Friday.
I check the black moldings on the windshield are in good condition.

The dash board is the only problem i really have noticed.
I still haven't used the Aux but i will mention it anyway. Thanks Evilz
Front Carpets are bone dry. Thanks Mia Lex
I haven't notice any problem with the navigation :'( (Hoping it never breaks), that the only think that would make me even consider the warranty everything else i have no problem getting dirty and being a DIYer

I'm assuming Jerry is the guy to go to for the extended warranty?

NimaM What were you experiences if you don't mind sharing it to us all why you regret not purchasing the extended warranty, maybe something we could all learn of ahead of time? Thanks.
Old 07-06-11, 11:20 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

1) I never had the TSIB regarding the break dust done on the car and now I guess it is too late.
2) The moon roof motor has become slow and very noisy to operate.
3) The automatic windshield wipers sensor seems not to function half of the time, so I don't use the automatic mode anymore. This sucks for me because it's always rainy in Seattle.
4) One of my HID headlights went out recently. I can probably can fix this myself when I get free time.
5) This is the one that worries me. The steering wheel makes a creaking noise when I start the car or turn the car off when it retracts. I'm not sure if this would be covered under power train warranty.
6) My front breaks make a creaking noise (like rubbing metal on metal) when I turn the wheel and push the break pedal (no noise if I don't apply breaks). I have seen other members complain about this problem. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time around 30k miles, but the dealer fixed them at no cost (warranty). Recently when it happened the Lexus dealer was nice enough to take them apart and clean them at no cost when my car was in for a recall.
Old 07-07-11, 06:27 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by NimaM
4) One of my HID headlights went out recently. I can probably can fix this myself when I get free time.
This is likely just a burnt-out bulb. You can pick up a pair of nice aftermarket bulbs (replace both at the same time, otherwise they'll look different even if you go OEM, because the other one will have changed color as it's worn down) for about $100.

5) This is the one that worries me. The steering wheel makes a creaking noise when I start the car or turn the car off when it retracts. I'm not sure if this would be covered under power train warranty.
Doubt this would be covered by powertrain warranty. Is it just a sound when it extends and retracts? Does it seem to affect anything else like driving or steering? Because it might just be an annoyance as opposed to a problem you need to worry about.

6) My front breaks make a creaking noise (like rubbing metal on metal) when I turn the wheel and push the break pedal (no noise if I don't apply breaks). I have seen other members complain about this problem. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time around 30k miles, but the dealer fixed them at no cost (warranty). Recently when it happened the Lexus dealer was nice enough to take them apart and clean them at no cost when my car was in for a recall.
What did they do to fix it the first time?
Old 07-07-11, 09:30 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 06 IS250 and highly recommend the extended warranty. I regret not getting it.
+1 on the warranty, highly recommended.
Old 07-07-11, 07:19 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

@calvin2376: I hear the steering wheel noise only when it extends or retracts. Everything works fine and nothing else has been affected. It's probably just an annoying noise. It seems like something needs lube.

As for the brakes, I'm terrible with cars except the electrical parts. From what I remember they told me they made some adjustments to brake calipers. This time the noise is not as bad as the first time when it happened. There was a clicking sound each time I pushed on the brakes in addition to the creaking noise. I don't hear that this time.
Old 07-11-11, 12:07 PM
dproto09
Driver School Candidate

Update!!
Hey guy,
So far my cars have been in the dealership since Friday morning 7/08 for the fuel recall, dash noise and aux noise. They call me this morning saying they had to order parts for the dash and aux. They said i should be getting my car back on 7/15. For now i still have a nice fully loaded 2010 RXHybrid loaner car.

Only wish i had a road trip to take lol. Maybe i should go to A/C put some cash on Red and hopefully win some money to buy VSA extended warranty.

I keep you guys updated and post the invoice once i get the car back.
Old 07-11-11, 12:39 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by dproto09
Update!!
Hey guy,
So far my cars have been in the dealership since Friday morning 7/08 for the fuel recall, dash noise and aux noise. They call me this morning saying they had to order parts for the dash and aux. They said i should be getting my car back on 7/15. For now i still have a nice fully loaded 2010 RXHybrid loaner car.

Only wish i had a road trip to take lol. Maybe i should go to A/C put some cash on Red and hopefully win some money to buy VSA extended warranty.

I keep you guys updated and post the invoice once i get the car back.
When you go to pick up the car after they say it's ready, make sure you take it for a test drive before you take it home. Find an uneven road and also push down on the dash to see if you hear squeaks anywhere. I would just keep the RX running; I'm willing to bet it's not 100% fixed.

Quick Reply: Almost out of warranty going into the dealership on friday morning.